Skip to content

Exeter Match Report

Comments

• Thanks, @Vital and @clifty04. Would take issue with a few ratings, most notably Eze who was by some margin the most dangerous player on the pitch and also put in the best defensive shift I've seen from him so far.

In the discussion elsewhere about the disallowed goal, I'd forgotten about the penalty shout. I'd love to see it again: I was dead in line with it on the terrace and have a feeling I saw the defender raise his hands as he slid in to tackle but I'm not at all sure I saw it clearly.

• Thanks Adam. Pretty comprehensive coverage and good to see acknowledgement of the improved performances of that other Adam.

I don't know where you sit or stand, Adam, but I'm guessing it's the Valley Terrace. The noise from there was certainly impressive during the second half but it seemed to me to be equalled (unusually) by the noise from the Frank Adams stand.Cred

• Credit where credit is due! [was the phrase not saved.]

• Thanks @HCblue and @micra.
    I think El-Abd now being unfairly treated after his poor start. Been brilliant last 2 games.
    I look at the 6 games we haven’t won and think we could’ve won 4 of them at least.
    And I’m at the front and right behind the goal @micra. Atmosphere really upped 2nd half, Didn’t hear Frank Adams but if they joined in that’s excellent too.

• There seemed to be a much more general contribution than I can recall for several seasons.

• edited October 2017

I thought El Abd maybe struggled a bit in the air against their 11 in the first half. But second half, he and Stewart had things pretty well sewn up.

Take it you're in the Beechdean, @micra. Definitely the most subdued of the stands. Like @clifty04, on the terrace I can't tell what's going on elsewhere except by seeing hands moving. Judged by that standard, the family stand was going for it today.

• El-Abd was excellent, as he was at Cambridge against two bigger strikers. He has a remarkable spring to out jump taller opponents. He has had an unconvincing start, I wanted him dropped, but he looks a different player in the last two games. He is vocal in encouraging his team mates and that second half block symbolises his commitment.

• I hate it in the Beechdean @HCblue. Only sit there/stand in front of it for Friendlies. I feel self-conscious about shouting encouragement in the absence of any signs of life around me. A solo version of "is this a library?" might sound a bit odd coming from an elderly guy that probably no-one in the vicinity would recognise.

I watch from the front row of the Frank Adams stand and all around and below me (the underlings as I like to call them) seemed to be clapping and chanting for most of the second half. Where I sit, there are about twenty of us who have sat in the front two rows for many seasons and who share my bag of sweets whenever a goal is scored. I owe them a couple from the Crewe game. I was so excited when those two goals went in that I completely forgot. I also knocked my programme off the ledge into the Executive Box area. What a finish.

• If the disallowed goal foul was for anything it was a push on the defender by Bayo just before he challenged the keeper.

• It was clearly a foul by Bayo on their no 6.

• It was clearly a foul but that kind of foul is pretty clear at almost every corner and free kick in to the box. Mainly it's defenders on strikers and they are ignored.
    What a finish by Stewart though. Nearly as good as Pierre's at Cambridge (??) last season.

• At that point the ref was blowing for anything and everything, not surprised but gutted all the same. Still, not to beat the league leaders after having had the lions' share of the chances is a point I'll take any day as long as we can beat the teams not in contention on a regular basis.

Consistency is key now. COYB!!!!

• I hear you but maintain there's no foul by Bayo who maintains his run at the ball and is guilty of nothing other than overcoming the attempted obstruction by the Exeter defender. Watch that part of the highlights and examine the respective running lines of the two players. Bayo is heading straight towards the ball and does so in an exactly straight line that is open to him as the camera swings to picture him. The defender is reversing towards the back centre of his own goal, roughly parallel to the flight of the ball, on an interception course with Bayo rather than the ball.

• Given that the referee blew up for a foul any time Bayo came near one of their players it was never not going to be a foul.

As well as the handball penalty shout there was also a good case for when one of their defenders had Bayo in a headlock midway though the second half.

• @bookertease said:
    Given that the referee blew up for a foul any time Bayo came near one of their players it was never not going to be a foul.

As well as the handball penalty shout there was also a good case for when one of their defenders had Bayo in a headlock midway though the second half.

Blimey he was brave or stupid!

• @bookertease too right! As I mentioned elsewhere...I must have missed the rule where if you are being sandwiched between two players who have a firm grip on your shirt...you are commiting the foul. We just have to accept that no ref is going to give Bayo a thing (unless someone hits him with a plank or something - possibly) and get on with it.