Skip to content

The club are investigating reports of anti-social behavior.

Comments

• @bluenotes , not quite the same situation.
    The equivalent would be if Col U fans had to pick up their coaches behind the Wycombe terrace!

• @peterparrotface: does anyone ever watch football other than out of interest?

• I have heard pockets of away fans doing just this at countless matches at Adams park over the years . Especially after playing an historic rival . I have respect your unease as we are all different but personally I have never felt unsafe . The only time I did was back in the nineties at Colu away . Football seems to ignite passions in people like no other sport , I do not condone hooliganism but peoples emotions run high and allegiances are ingrained with segregation needed. Some young men act like rutting young stags and this is bound to happen . You are entitled to try and change football into the way you see fit . Personally I would find it less exciting and I respect it as part of the experience of going to the match . It has traditionally been a working mans game and I find it sad that it seems to be being taken over by middle class liberal thinking and political correctness like the rest of society . I have to repeat I do not condone any type of hooliganism , violence or breaking of the law but I enjoy the full range of emotions at the match and also the tribal rivalry .

• @James said:
    I have heard pockets of away fans doing just this at countless matches at Adams park over the years . Especially after playing an historic rival . I have respect your unease as we are all different but personally I have never felt unsafe . The only time I did was back in the nineties at Colu away . Football seems to ignite passions in people like no other sport , I do not condone hooliganism but peoples emotions run high and allegiances are ingrained with segregation needed. Some young men act like rutting young stags and this is bound to happen . You are entitled to try and change football into the way you see fit . Personally I would find it less exciting and I respect it as part of the experience of going to the match . It has traditionally been a working mans game and I find it sad that it seems to be being taken over by middle class liberal thinking and political correctness like the rest of society . I have to repeat I do not condone any type of hooliganism , violence or breaking of the law but I enjoy the full range of emotions at the match and also the tribal rivalry .

Spot on. I for one certainly do not condone any hooliganism or breaking of the law however, I feel as though banter between fans, a few verbals etc simply adds to the atmosphere and match day experience! We're all different mind.

• Like nostalgia @IanBeale, banter isn't what it used to be if many of the "exchanges " on the FBFans page are any guide. Foul language seems to be a prerequisite and wafts of 5h1t seem more common than shafts of wit.

May I make a plea to you not to reproduce whole screeds of other posts before making your comments? Of course it may be that others prefer not to have to scroll up to remind them of the context. I don't know.

• @James and @IanBeale I appreciate I didn't witness any of this and that there easily can be a blurring of what is and isn't acceptable behaviour before, during and after football matches, but the club statement describes a number of fans acting in "an inappropriate manner." This is likely to cost the club "several thousand pounds."

I am delighted your pleasure with the "tribal rivalry" is losing us money in this way. Keep it up. I'm sure our friendly rivals will love to see us piss our money away like this.

I do confess to possessing "middle class liberal thinking," but having followed Wycombe home and away (with varying degrees of frequency) for 50+ years, that shouldn't preclude me being able to pontificate on the behaviour of deluded, pissed, yobs.

• Afraid the club itself (and the Trust who should be taking an interest in such matters) must take a large part of the blame here. For too long now, the club has done nothing while the long earned reputation for good behaviour has been steadily eroded.

Belatedly taking an interest now perhaps, but many a chicken has had a damn good roost in the meantime.

• Spot on @bookertease. I stopped going to football in the 80's as I spent most of the match watching out for the dart or bottle being launched in my direction. Only started coming again when WWFC moved to AP. I rediscovered the joy of watching a football match, chatting to all supporters and getting to know the players. I have since enjoyed bringing my young son without fear of "banter" getting out of control. I was at Colchester for Saturdays game, (the 1st time since Layer Road in the 90s), but couldn't help noticing the behaviour of a few deteriorating. A couple moved in the 2nd half so that they could be within earshot of the Col U goalie and started screaming the C word amongst others. All this in front of two senior WWFC supporting ladies. They immediately turned to the ladies, apologised for the language & within 2 minutes continued with the same for the rest of the half. In essence the atmosphere around us changed and became less enjoyable. It was obvious that they were going to continue until they had wound themselves up to a raging lather & in all likelyhood would have been amongst those that had to be attended to by the local police.
    People used to go to football, intermingle and take pleasure from the experience, so to say that's football get over it etc, is utter hogwash. Simply readjust your low behaviour bar to an acceptable height, it really isn't that difficult and then the majority can enjoy the experience not at the expense of the few.

• edited September 2017

Suggestions on what the trust or WW should be doing?

They repeatedly point out any sort of going on the pitch or smoke bombs etc are completely out of order, and they swiftly followed up complaints from the likes of Portsmouth to ban some of our yobs. A few have long bans now.

• Without being certain whether or not, on this and other recent occasions, mountains are being made out of molehills, I agree with DevC. Erosion of the club's excellent reputation of having well behaved, civilised and friendly fans is something which clearly needs to be addressed.

• Has anyone been banned due to recent social media outbursts?

For me the only remedy is self policing. The club can only do so much but those around the edges of the moronic element can do so much more. Isolate them until only the real morons are left and then ban them. The current behaviour at away games in particular is becoming a factor in me going to games. Going in the home end is becoming a decent option at some grounds.

• Agree with that, Righty. HCblue referred recently to someone he taught "millions" of years ago doing just that - i.e. moving away from the yobbier elements on the terrace.

• The way I read it was that the letting off of the flare is what caused the extra cost which will be needed to police the return fixture . To be honest if the extra cost is due to the "anti social " behaviour then I think it is a huge over reaction . Interesting how some people regard this as boisterousness young men just being young men and others them being yobs or hooligans . I suspect most people on here will see it as the latter because the gasroom has had a history at looking down at the younger generation behind the goal and has always treated them with a condescending tone. Be careful what you wish for , if you end up getting the group behind the goal banned it will turn AP into a lifeless spectacle . There are plenty in our stadium and every other who do enjoy the rivalry and it has been part of football for years . Adams park is still a safe non violent place to come and I am sure it remain so . Stop trying to make mountains out of molehills

• Malone. As I understand it, Adams park is private property and entry to it is entirely at WWFC discretion. Much the same applies to other clubs grounds.

So very simply,
    1) issue a code of conduct outlining minimum acceptable behaviour standards
    2) invite the obvious candidates to a meeting to spell out the code and answer any questions - doesn't really matter whether they turn up or not.
    3) have a trust appointee in the crowd at each game for the next say six months
    4) minor infractions get a warning, major infractions get a home ban
    5) two minor infractions gets a ban
    6) advise away clubs that we recommend they refuse admission to their grounds but their choice.

A couple of examples made and the worst offenders would quickly amend their behaviour or drift away.

• what are your 'minimum acceptable behaviour standards' Dev?

I suspect ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers.

The last Fans Council meeting covered this subject in detail.

• Notes from last Fans Council taken from meeting on 31/08/17:

"Trevor Stroud, Chairman of the Trust Board was present and Michael Davies, General Manager was there for part of the meeting.

Main topic for discussion tonight is Social Media and the Guidelines. Trevor will clarify the prospective from the Club point of view.

This discussion follows on from the case before the Crown Prosecution and new guidelines regarding what is acceptable to write on Social Media.

The subject is difficult because it is not black and white. Football fans have opinions but if they are deemed racist, homophobic or slanderous and could be legally actionable then the Club will step in.

One of the fans has already received a letter from the Club temporarily suspending him from being at Adams Park until a meeting has been held with the fan to decide on whether he has breached the guidelines on what is acceptable or not. The timing of this letter is unfortunate. Mark Bowring has met with the fan and put his feelings across to Trevor Stroud. The club has responsibility and the laws have not changed just been highlighted by the media.

The suspension pending the outcome feels like a kneejerk reaction as fan is innocent until proven guilty. The fan has admitted he was wrong by tweeting what he did and apologises. In the long term this will show that the Club will not accept unacceptable behaviour from fans and that there are consequences when you put out a text so think before tweeting.

Mark Bowring showed the text to a policeman and also a lawyer. Technically it was racist abuse but was out of context. It was not a hate crime . There has been a clear demonstration of regret by the fan for tweeting it and he has apologised. The Club will take this into consideration.

The Club do not have a good history in dealing with issues. Leyton Orient and Notts County are two situations. Issue where a fan made a comment about a player and then there was verbal abuse and the girlfriend was told to “do one”. Reported to the Club on the day but took a long time to follow up. The Notts County game the stewards were told to seach 18 – 21 year olds and told to focus on those people most suspicious. No ladies or older people were searched. This is not fair and is discriminatory.

There have been other problems with ticketing and pre-season where there was a statement from the Club that the game was ticket only but on the day it was changed to cash at turnstiles and other ticketing issues.

Michael Davies said that the ticketing issues are now being dealt with and there has been a change in the office staff and they have listened to comments from fans and hopefully things will improve in the future. Tickets for away games were only a problem at the beginning of the season because of training of new staff but now that they are more familiar then it will be easier to obtain them on game days unless it is a big game and then they will probably only be available after the game.

Beer queues at the Caledonian suite was a point. The fans were listened to and now you can pre-order your beer for half time before the game hopefully freeing up the queues.

Fans said that the Club do not solicit engagement or feedback and when they have written to the Club they have not received responses. The Fans Council will hopefully alleviate this problem as if it brought up at the meeting or an email sent to one of the Committee then we can liaise with the Club for a response.

The WWFC Board requested the formation of the Fans Council and asked Mark Bowring to start it. Hopefully it takes off and then members of the Committee can be voted in by the fans. The Council needs pushing in public and need the help of the WWFC Media to do this. We are a fan owned Club and at the moment the perception is that the Council are not listened to by the Board and Trust. The Council is in its infancy and will grow with more input and feedback.

There were some suggestions that the Council Committee should be more visible – maybe a suggestion box in the Caledonian and a table once every few games for fans to speak to the Council. We need to spread the word that the Council is here and will act as a speaking voice for the fans.

+++++

There was an email received by Mark regarding disabled parking facilities which he will hand over to Michael Davies to deal with.

One of the members present brought up the issue of a group of kids aged 12-14 waling up and down swearing and spitting in the Greene King Stand. They are unaccompanied. When she approached a steward he said that he was unable to do anything because it is a safeguarding issue. Michael will raise this with the Stadium Manager and they will look into this.

Also there is an issue that when the team are attacking at the Greene King stand area or there is a corner then the stewards stand up right behind the goal and make it difficult for people to see any goals. This will be looked at but is probably a safety measure.

Season tickets were out late again this year – wrong advice was given to the new staff but they have learnt lessons and it was all new to Michael Davies who will debrief and learn lessons from this year.

The next meeting will be held on 29th September 2017*. The main item on the agenda will be the WiFi in the stadium and what the Club can do about it. Any points people wish to raise as items for the agenda can be given to any of the Committee or via the Facebook or Twitter page."

*Next Fans Council meeting is now planned for pre-Exeter home match in the creche.

• edited September 2017

Well that is for the trust to decide, in consultation with its members. Perhaps once a draft is written, you could put it to the members for approval first.

If you think you have a problem, you have to take action. Standing on the sidelines tutting is not taking action.

With respect IMHO, while acknowledging the fine work the volunteers on the trust board and the clubs off-field management generally do, I have to say you have been woefully slow to act on this matter.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    what are your 'minimum acceptable behaviour standards' Dev?

I suspect ask 10 different people and you get 10 different answers.

The last Fans Council meeting covered this subject in detail.

Exactly. For some on here it seems being under 30, drinking more than two pints of lager and raising your voice is yobbish.

I've heard people chuntering about some of the youngsters on the terrace for unbelievably petty things in the vere suite.

• Sounds like you are trying to hold the Gasroom to ransom @James . Stop us letting off our amazingly manly flares in the ground and we'll stop singing songs and generally making a noise.
    I've had a little think and do you know what. I'll take that deal. I'll live without some of the moronic and puerile chanting. I'll cope without the latest random player being abused or targeted off the pitch or on social media. I'll definitely take not being near the said flares when they are let off after being in someone's pants for half a game.
    I think the silent void will be filled with support and cheering from others. It will probably be more consistant, louder and from all sides of the terrace or ground.
    Illegal acts within a football ground and on social media must be punished. It will be a better stronger club as a result.

• @Right_in_the_Middle "It will probably be more consistent, louder and from all sides of the terrace or ground."

Oh come on Righty, there are people who celebrate Wycombe goals by folding their arms and sighing in the Woodlands upper!

• @micra said:
    peterparrotface: does anyone ever watch football other than out of interest?

Yeah a lot of football is watched out of obligation or habit

• Surely you don't have to be of a certain age or social position to agree that when police are running towards a scene some kind of line has been crossed?

• I must admit I read it differently @James and the anti-social behaviour and associated likely increased costs refers to more than just the setting off of a flare.

I agree with your point and I am wrong to categorise that group as yobs, but there are certainly times they display yobbish behaviour. It is a fine line and a lot of the time the group just about stay the right (as I see it) side of it and can, and sometimes do, enhance the atmosphere both home and away.

Unfortunately the mob mentality can sometimes kick in, for example the anti-Pierre lunacy, the ‘gypo’ racism towards GA and it can become an unnecessary toxic environment.

Self-policing would help, but unfortunately, from my observations, the ‘leaders’ of the group are some of the worst culprits.

• Self policing demonstrably hasn't worked.

I agree that that group could be positive ambassadors for the club. They choose not to be too often however.

The club/trust to date has tolerated them and hence has some complicity for their behaviour. I think that will prove to be a mistake.

I am a little depressed by DJ's posts above.

• You will see Right_in _the_middle , if you read back , that I have said anyone who lets off a flare should be banned . What I do not think should happen is that anyone under the age of 25 who acts like he is under 25 is automatically regarded a yob or a hooligan . You yourself have said there should be no "illegal " acts . If you read what the Colchester police tweeted : "there where no offences committed " you will realise that nothing illegal
    happened other than the flare . The impression the club is giving is that it wants to route out the "anti social" guys too . My argument does not support illegal acts , or on line abuse . It does support being more accepting of the younger fans idea of fun at the match and not over reacting . I am 47 and do not act like a lot of them but I did when I was their age and I did not break the law once. Your idea of a stadium devoid of chanting is something I can not grasp . It is part of the match day experience and it is most definitely appreciated by the manager and players . They regard it as creating an atmosphere , it motivates them and they frequently praise the fans for it . Whether you like it or not it is the younger group behind the goal who generate most of the atmosphere on match day . The players love to score in front of the terrace and mention this on social media . They love to do this because of the noise and passion generated there in particular . Remove this and you will ruin the atmosphere . In all honesty how many games have you been to where you have witnessed a flare being thrown ? . The club are right to take a stand against this but don't try and paint the lounger lot as Sparta Prague with their flares . They are not.

• @peterparrotface The sighers will continue to sigh. It's been the same since the Loakes Park days. The rustle of coat sleeves being folded is a common sound I've almost grown to ignore over the years.

• It's not especially difficult to understand what's acceptable and what isn't at a game. The types in any doubt surely aren't going to listen to an "official" set of conditions

• I suspect they would once one or two of their number were credibly threatened with and if necessary handed a ban, Malone.

Under 25s don't have to be morons, James. In the main they know the line. It is their choice to cross it.

• @James is there no way to be noisy and passionate in support of our players without also goading opposition fans outside the ground?

• @ Malone .I agree with what you say but let me pose this to you : When Luton scored the winner on Saturday in the nature that they did , and their players were winding the fans up at the final whistle with certain gestures . Their manger was heard to be swearing at and punching the air towards the home terrace , and there was a scuffle with several players happening on the pitch .Do you honestly think it is realistic to expect the younger generation in the ground (and in particular behind the goal ) to be able to refrain from swearing and using fowl language in the heat of the moment ? . Do you think this is "acceptable " ? this would be a breach of a no swearing policy , of which I assume , most on here would like to see implemented . It is my view that it would be unrealistic not to expect some young people to react in the manner I have mentioned and quite a lot of older people too . I would be utterly astonished if any football ground in the league could honestly expect for a crowd to behave devoid of swearing .