Skip to content

Her Indoors was spot on. Luton got punchy

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2017/september/luke-berry/

The Missus said she saw him swing at JJ. Seems he did.

Comments

• Yep, saw this at the time. The ref was over tending to an injured player while Luton were preparing to take a corner. Quite how the linesman missed it is another matter

Deserves his ban but doesn't help us now of course

• Looked that way to me at the time until I realised it was JJ on the floor, when the doubts started to come in.

• I'm with you on this @bookertease , even tho I thought I saw a Luton player swing his arm but it doesn't take much for JJ to roll around 'injured' when we're one nil up.

• Just makes it all the more annoying that the winning goal came in the time added on for this incident and the referee and linesman both missed a punch that was obvious enough for a ban from the single camera on the half way line.
    Saw it at the time but even more annoyed now

• Luton fan in peace( sort of).....felt it worthwhile leaving a comment, as this incident was right in front of me...yes Berry our player did indeed raise a hand ....no way a punch...more of a slap...this was after your player was pulling and holding our player non stop., (as was Akinfenwa for most of the game)... what I find ironic was that your player laid motionless for an age in a clear effort to get our lad sent off....isn't that just as bad as the "slap"? when it was clear that was not going to happen.. and the Ref quite rightly called the Physio on ... your Goalkeeper and a couple of other players were desperately trying to wave him off, as they knew , when he was on his feet he would have to go off....the irony of all this, was the extra time....with the result of a Luton win.
    All teams do it we know that ( we have Hylton who is a master of the dive, you have CMS who we know is a master at it...will be interesting to see how this retrospective evidence pans out over a season for all teams....but please some of your threads posted above make out your a team of Angels..... anyway I'm off soon, hope you have a good season.
    One last thing please could you get rid of that bloody Drummer...

• @hatterman An interesting perspective on it, thanks for posting. I'll let you off as you probably don't post/lurk here very often, but the gamesmanship Ainsworth's instilled in the team gets commented on frequently.
    If Berry had been sent off, it would have made up for the scandalous decision not to send Kelvin Davis off when he did a Harald Schumacher impersonation on Jocky McSporran in 1999!

• Cheers, not a "perspective" it's what happened!!! Anyway me bacon n eggs are on the go............

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    hatterman An interesting perspective on it, thanks for posting. I'll let you off as you probably don't post/lurk here very often, but the gamesmanship Ainsworth's instilled in the team gets commented on frequently.
    If Berry had been sent off, it would have made up for the scandalous decision not to send Kelvin Davis off when he did a Harald Schumacher impersonation on Jocky McSporran in 1999!

I'd forgotten about that @ReadingMarginalista, still can't believe that Kelvin Davis wasn't sent off for that. Nearly cut Jocky in half.

• @hatterman perhaps your players shouldn't slap opposition players and give them any opportunity to play act. Of course making the most of being slapped is not just as bad as doing the slapping, and if the ref had seen it live then Berry would have been dismissed and Wycombe may have gone on to win the game. So scant justice that Berry gets suspended.

Enjoy your breakfast.

• @hatterman thanks for posting. Re: Hylton, if he played for us I'd stop going until he left. I've had a season ticket for the best part of 30 years

• Bacon and Eggs done....Mmm Hylton...there is not one manager in this league that would not have Hylton in their team...yes he comes with baggage..and you get what you get...Onions vary!...as for not watching?..well how about watching route one to Akinfenwa.... every game? Thought you looked better when he came off....who by the way had both arms on our Defenders shoulder for your goal....we could argue the Ref didn't see that...works both ways mate

• @hatterman well that’s your credibility (and eyesight) gone. First half, with Bayo still on the pitch, we battered you playing it mostly on the ground using the wide open space your defence left on the wings for our full backs to use. After Bayo we were in holding on mode trying to hit you on the break.

I always thought DDH was a pantomime villain so wasn’t too worried but I’m interested in what he must have said to so upset the clam and usually mild-mannered Bayo and can only conclude he is a &£@€ of yhe highest order

• edited September 2017

My perception was pretty much in line with @hatterman 's. Luton guy clearly raised his hands to JJ in a way that I'd tell a pupil off for as inappropriate while also telling JJ off for having his arms round him in the first place. JJ would have also heard me tell him to get up and get on with the game.

In the moral vacuum that is professional football, I refuse to get sucked in to the relativism that exists in judgements of these "I provoked him, yeah, but he did that thing that's REALLY against the rules, ref" situations. I'd much rather the Luton player had not reacted as he did but I'm not going to lose sleep about it in these circumstances.

Danny Hylton, who I think is a tremendously skilful player, is, even by the wretched standards of the game, a snide c***. Notwithstanding my recognition that they're pretty much all at it up to a point, I'd want nothing to do with him - bit like Ronaldo (dodged a bullet not signing him this summer from Real, amiright?). He is the only player I've watched here that I knowingly feel that way about for reasons other than footballing ability.

• So Bayo didn't hold our defender down? I would suggest you look at the replay again...anyway if Hylton did dive for the Penalty , then maybe the Miss for the penalty was karma....simple fact is your players histrionics at the end cost you... anyway off to the game...Chesterfield at Home...they have a new manager...so any result possible...

• Hylton is a racist and has been banned and fined previously so I'd never want him in my team. Even beyond that he seems an odious individual.

• Those ... make for ...an irritating read.
    You got away with one, we knew it at the time, and this exceptionally unusual (outside of the Premier league) retro action shows it