Skip to content

Mark Sampson

A number of thoughts and feelings going around my mind on this all of which can be summed up with:

Bullshit

Comments

• Aye, why was he appointed to the post in the first place, and allowed to continue in post for so long?

• I think the FA probably knew about what happened when he was at Bristol Academy (abused his power and slept with members of the team) and decided to sweep it under the carpet.

Then have decided to act now as it was probably going to be dragged up in the current investigation of bullying and racist remarks. So wanted to get ahead before it all became public.

Another poor and shamblic example of the FA

• What a mess.

rather depends on the detail of what happened at Bristol. If he was young and bit naïve and consenually slept with one or two of the team, feels like a bit of a bollocking would have been in order but not a hanging offence. If there was any suggestion that the team, or particularly the 18 year olds looking for a main squad place felt under any obligation to sleep with the coach to get that place and he should never have been hired for England or sacked as soon as they knew of the Bristol issue. Either way FA looks very bad.

The Aluko allegations as reported in the press do not look justified (if the press has reported accurately).

Without a full understanding of the evidence, it is hard to form a valid judgement. I do hope the career and reputation of a decent if slightly historically naïve young man has not been thrown to the wolves for the sake of appeasing the baying press mob.

• edited September 2017

Thank you for once again reminding us we need to be witness to all the facts before expressing opinions on things, Dev.

• @DevC said:

If he was young and bit naïve and consenually slept with one or two of the team, feels like a bit of a bollocking would have been in order but not a hanging offence. If there was any suggestion that the team, or particularly the 18 year olds looking for a main squad place felt under any obligation to sleep with the coach to get that place and he should never have been hired for England

This is completely contradictory. If you're in a position of power, you simply shouldn't sleep with someone that you have power over. It's inevitably an abuse of that power.

• I agree, its not good practise for a boss ever to sleep with his staff. It happens in the real world pretty regularly though. Rarely a sacking offence unless there are compounding factors, even more rarely if it happened in a previous employment but no evidence it has reoccurred in the present one, even even more rarely if you knew all about it several years ago.

Very different I would suggest if there was evidence that sexual favours were demanded (or perceived to be demanded) in exchange for career progression especially if it applied to young say 18 year old girls. In that situation you may validly have concerns that you cant take the chance of a recurrence now. Even then though very odd indeed to change your mind on the same facts known an extended period before.

Thanks for your fascinating contribution to the debate, Mindless. Personal attacks seem to be on the rise recently on the new version of the gasroom - shame.

• I don't know why Dev bothers waiting for actual stories. He might as well make one up, and then tell us what he thinks about it. Would have just as much value

• I repeat my last paragraph above. If you have nothing to say, Eric, say nothing.

• Oh the irony!

• I'll leave others to judge.

• with respect, Dev, I'm not sure you've grasped how abuse of power works.

• The responses that I see to Dev C from eric plant are always tiresome and childish. I know neither of them, but IMHO both seem to know each other personally. That is the only reason I can see why there are so many acrimonious exchanges. Come on get a grip FFS.

• For the record MBS to my knowledge I have never met Eric or indeed any other poster to this forum. As it is anonymous, impossible to be certain. Otherwise I rather agree with you.

You may be right, Frank. Could you elaborate please.

• The only place I would have met Dev is at a game so no, we've never met

• Or if you had a passion for cross dressing on trains in the 'West Country' whilst unaccompanied.

• Fair point.

We actually may have met then after all

• 'The Aluko allegations as reported in the press do not look justified.' Which press. And which bits of her allegations do you feel are not justified @DevC ? Do you think that's why the FA did two inquiries and exonerated him without actually interviewing any of the players involved? Nah...don;t bother asking the silly girlies what happened...just make a settlement to the mouthiest one.' Also sex with a boss or colleague is not a sacking offence...but if you sleep with young people you are mentoring/training/teaching...I think that is.

• How was what I wrote in any way a personal attack @DevC ? I merely thanked you for reminding everyone that it's important to be in possession of the full facts before making public statements about things. Which is why I don't regularly pontificate for several paragraphs about Wycombe's financial situation or resources, or about how the team have played if I haven't been to a game.

• Bit uncomfortable with how pure conjecture is now being discussed as fact. Don't think any of us know what he did or didn't do so probably best not to speculate.

With regards to the Eni Aluko allegations, I suspect Dev is taking a view on the alleged comments as reported and concluded that had he said them, they were not racist. I may be wrong.

As it stands though, he has been cleared of making racist comments and bullying, although the £80,000 payment made to her by the FA is a troubling aspect of the story. No-one really seems to know what this was for.

There was a very interesting interview with Sampson on last week's football focus. He was completely refuting the allegations made against him whilst also saying he respected her right to make them. The interviewer quite reasonably pointed out that by refuting them he is effectively calling her a liar, and he should be furious that someone is lying about him, not saying he respected her right to say those things. He failed to address that point at all.

• @HCblue said:
    A number of thoughts and feelings going around my mind on this all of which can be summed up with:

Bullshit

Good to see the Gasroom has added to the pile

• The only vaguely interesting revelation on this thread, is that Dev hasn't actually met any of the guys who constantly tear into him.
    Strange. They chat like they have very severe history!

• @MBS said:
    The responses that I see to Dev C from eric plant are always tiresome and childish. I know neither of them, but IMHO both seem to know each other personally. That is the only reason I can see why there are so many acrimonious exchanges. Come on get a grip FFS.

i am with you there. eric_plant obviously has an issue with Dev (who to me seems a reasonable sort, even though i don't always agree with his views)

• I haven't met anyone. Ever

• Dev and Eric are the same person!

• a la Fight Club, @mooneyman?

• spoiler alert

• Coooool!

• I think Mr Glenn should resign his post with immediate effect.