Skip to content

Comments

• A fair reflection of the game. I'm both delighted with a point and frustrated we didn't get all three in equal measure.

I can't remember the last 0-0 I enjoyed that much.

• Whisper it quietly, but we've got a pretty high number of guys playing pretty close to the top of their game at the moment. JJ, Bayo, Luke, Gape, Stewart, Blooms. If Brown and El Abd continue to grow in confidence and the defence becomes more cohesive, and if SK, Tyson and Sam come back to fitness, there's reason for optimism. Best bit is, none of those ifs are at all improbable (except maybe SK). Now, I'm not at all saying we're going up, but I am looking forward to watching us play at the moment more than for a good while...

• That was refreshingly devoid of moaning about what a bunch of cheating bastards we are.

• @HCblue said:
    Whisper it quietly, but we've got a pretty high number of guys playing pretty close to the top of their game at the moment. JJ, Bayo, Luke, Gape, Stewart, Blooms. If Brown and El Abd continue to grow in confidence and the defence becomes more cohesive, and if SK, Tyson and Sam come back to fitness, there's reason for optimism. Best bit is, none of those ifs are at all improbable (except maybe SK). Now, I'm not at all saying we're going up, but I am looking forward to watching us play at the moment more than for a good while...

I think that's right. The number of players really playing right to their full ability at the moment is really pleasing. Stewart looks as imperious as Pierre ever did; both full backs are getting forward and supplying chances; Gape is back to his best; Bayo and Paris have started in marvellous goal scoring form. The list could go on.

I have to say based on the games and performances thus far I feel very optimistic. When you consider we have an excellent front four out injured, two defenders out on loan and can still field a strong bench, it does look the strongest squad we've had in server all seasons.

The next two games will be interesting against probably the best resourced clubs in the division.

• I think that's the most positive opposition view of us I've read since the first half of the play off season

• Refreshingly balanced views. Good to see JJ praised. He is a class player at this level. I always enjoy this fixture and yesterday was no exception.

• JJ has been left back in my all-time Wycombe side for a while now and I am constantly amazed that we managed to get him and have managed to keep him

• Agreed JJ a class act at this level, the one thing missing from his game is pace, he gets skinned by really fast wingers and has to use his craft skills to counter this. I think he knows this is missing from his game (and will become increasingly apparent as he ages) which is why he is happy to play at Div 2 level,

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Agreed JJ a class act at this level, the one thing missing from his game is pace, he gets skinned by really fast wingers and has to use his craft skills to counter this. I think he knows this is missing from his game (and will become increasingly apparent as he ages) which is why he is happy to play at Div 2 level,

I've never spoken to him but always seems to be enjoying himself out there and has the look of a man who is content to be where he is and happy to work hard at it.

• @eric_plant said:
    JJ has been left back in my all-time Wycombe side for a while now and I am constantly amazed that we managed to get him and have managed to keep him

Agree with all of this. He has way too much class for the fourth division.

• Possibly, he wanted the assurance of longer term employment, as I understand he was studying accountancy for post life football?

• Doesn't strike me as a potential bean counter!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Possibly, he wanted the assurance of longer term employment, as I understand he was studying accountancy for post life football?

He certainly has been but I don't know if he's acquired a professional accountancy qualification yet - ie ACCA, CIMA, CIPFA or ACA. What I do know is that he is a very bright, personable and articulate young man. And he clearly loves playing for the Blues. We're very lucky.

• edited September 2017

Doesn't have pace which is why he would never play higher than League 1, has a championship left foot without question

• @rmjlondon said:
    Doesn't have pace which is why he would never play higher than League 1, has a championship left foot without question

If you say so Ricardo. BTW, I commend you for having poo poo'd the bookies who were tipping Newport for relegation back in the summer. Long way to go but I think you (and I) were right.

• edited September 2017

Reading Richie's stuff is often like reading one of those spam bots that just repeats posts from up the page.

JJ is a great guy all round. Adds a touch of class, seems to love it here, and him and Jombati feel like they're really key guys around the squad due to their characters and service levels.

• I will make another prediction that Sido contract won't be renewed this season.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I will make another prediction that Sido contract won't be renewed this season.

This is like the moment your favourite band released their sellout rock ballad
    single. Sad times. #BringBackRichieBullshit

• You can take it from me that Sido's contract won't be renewed.

That better, @arnos_grove?

• Well, I understood that; haven't a clue what Arnold's comment means but, to be honest, my favourite band has never released a sellout rock ballad single.

• Who's Arnold?

• I agree with both Eric and Rich - Jacobson is the best left back I've seen at Wycombe (with the possible exception of Mickey Bell) and if he had more pace he'd be playing far higher up the leagues.

• @mooneyman one of Alan McGee's late-90s follies. No power ballads as far as remember, though.

• @HCblue said:
    You can take it from me that Sido's contract won't be renewed.

That better, arnos_grove?

I think that's in the category marked 'The sun will rise tomorrow morning'.

Tony Blackburn's comedy dog.

• @arnos_grove - I beg to differ, the sun will eventually become a red giant and swallow up the earth so it won't rise on a morning in the future.

• edited September 2017

tbh we have had some very good left backs but I would say Jacobson, Bell and Vinnicombe were the best 3 and maybe Craig Woodman would get a notable mention too.