Skip to content

Good news on injuries

Gaz saying Saunders, Tyson and even Kashket are likely to be back sooner rather than later.

Have to admit a part of me worried we'd never see Scotty play again. Here's hoping he can stay injury free.

Comments

• That comment really means nothing. I imagine he is saying it to put the forthcoming opposition off the scent, in terms of our line up etc. They still could be out for weeks/months/sent down for murder etc

• 'Could but probably won't be in contention again very soon.'

• A front 3 of Kashket,Mackail-Smith and The Beast would be fantastic to see when all are fully match fit.

• Although we're already free-scoring, I think we'd tear up the league with that front 3 @robin

And when the other team are 3-0 down and starting to tire in the second half, we bring on PCH and Tyson, skin them with the renewed pace and score a few more.

• I really do hope kashket can stay injury free he's a joy to watch

• Seems bonkers that we could get excited about fielding three forwards while also leaving Tyson and Cowan Hall on the bench.

• edited September 2017

Let's really hope soon actually means soon, rather than "sooner than expected".
    That'd be pretty darn exciting having 6 quality front men to rotate each week.

Rather than that "heck" feeling if 1 or 2 are out and you're down to real bare bones.

I'm interested how we're going to field the young striker lad too. If that lot are back soon, surely he can't keep them out?

• Getting Saunders back to full fitness is even more important in the medium term, I would say. We are getting to the stage where we are almost spoilt for choice with forwards - Freeman deserves more game time as well I think and Um-er-ah shows real promise - but even given Blooms' recent renaissance we are a bit thin on the ground in the creative midfielder department.

• Out of interest, does anyone actually know what Freeman's preferred position is? I always assumed he was an attacking midfielder and can't work out why he rarely gets a game there. Some people say he's a left winger, but from what I can see he's right footed. I love Blooms more than most of my family, but I feel for Freeman not getting more game time in Saunders' position during his absence.

• I believe he was announced as a right winger when he joined.

• @bigred87 said:
    I really do hope kashket can stay injury free he's a joy to watch

Don't we all! Unfortunately, the nature of his condition (not injury) is not really conducive to sustained fitness but, with the number of strikers we now have, it will be much easier to manage it. That's not the official view - just my interpretation based on observation and the crumbs of information we have been offered.
    He is indeed a joy to watch.

• edited September 2017

@Malone said:

" I'm interested how we're going to field the young striker lad too. If that lot are back soon, surely he can't keep them out?"

The same applies to Eberechi Eze, who is an attacking midfielder.
    An embarrassment of riches to which we are unaccustomed.

• when you need to score at least 3 goals every week to win the game then you need plenty of attacking options!

• Never really believed anything Ainsworth tells the press on injuries. A lot of smoke and mirrors are involved.
    Would be great to see Kashket back though.

• But do we still need a centre back? We played very well on Saturday but El-Abd could have so easily been sent off in the first few minutes and then it may have been a different game. However, I would have still backed us to beat them with 10 men.

• That was never going to be a red card, as their striker was never reaching the ball with the covering defender there.
    However, take your point!

Overall though, in the summer most of us would have pretty much picked the same best starting X1.
    Now, I'd have no idea what the best three is up front.

Bayo obviously the first name, but beyond that, CMS, Paris, Kashket and Tyson are all on a similar level to me.
    I know we'll have a couple of them out most weeks, but by pure odds, there has to be the odd game they'll all be available

• Any of the front 5 mentioned above, with Saunders able to pull the strings is a fantastic thought for us. And should be a terrifying one for opposition defences

• @malone I think @Blue_since_1990 's point was...against another team with a more more guile and gamesmanship...your Luton's and Stevenages...that early yellow would have been far more costly and more likely to result in a Red later in the game. As it was FGR were fairly toothless and El-Abd had little to do for most of the game.

• I've watch the El-Abd incident a number of times on iFollow and can not see that it was a foul. El-Abd maintained his line and does not appear to break stride at all. The FGR player ran across the front of him. The booking came after El-Abd continued to dispute the decision, so may not be for the 'foul'.

The referee was inconsistent throughout the match as to what was or wasn't penalised, including the O'Nien challenge that touched neither man or ball, but earned a booking immediately followed by Bean being hacked from behind being ignored entirely.

• Tomorrow week could lead to a short break for El Adam then,@Wendoverman, although you didn't mention earlier whether, in scoring all those goals tomorrow, he got caught out of position and hauled a Newport attacker down, incurring a straight red. Golden opportunity looming perhaps for Dan Scarr and the prospect of certain factions becoming vocal about how we're missing El Abd.
    And I've just realised that makes no sense.

• @Malone said:

Now, I'd have no idea what the best three is up front.

Bayo obviously the first name, but beyond that, CMS, Paris, Kashket and Tyson are all on a similar level to me.

If they're all on a similar level to you you might want to give Gaz a bell.

And as for who starts, I'd go CMS and Kashket and bring on some pace later on if needed/to pad the score further.

I am now ludicrously optimistic and expect us to score 4 a game.

• If anyone can be bothered, putting £5 on El Abd to get a yellow card is always a good custom bet at the bookies IMO. He's insatiable for tugging at opposition shirts even when totally unnecessary.

• @micra I suspect Diving Danny will drag Al-Abd and the game down to suitable lows as per usual. As for the rest of your post, you've not been found wandering around the shops in your dressing gown and slippers again have you?

• @Manboobs , the only problem with 3 outright strikers is who creates the chances. Paris is arguably better than Kashket and Tyson at that. Still to be seen if CMS is a creator at all.

Otherwise there's a lot on Saunders shoulders. That and Bayo bringing down punts for his partners.

• CMS was very lively and a definate goal threat against FGR...not sure yet if he's likely to create chances for others, but he's got a shot on him so there will be tap-ins from goalie saves I reckon!

• @bill_stickers . He's definitely going to rack up plenty of bans.
    That is unless the young loanee comes in and does so well that he "keeps the shirt". Something Gaz is adamant is his policy on good performance.

When El Abd went for a challenge and ended up spark on the opponent and gave him a real going over whilst maintaining pure innocent, that's when I realised we have an absolute head case.
    He loves to smash people and then put his hands on their shoulders/face/head. Eventually that's going to lead to a square up or two.

• I may be in a minority, but i kind of like El Abd. He reads the game very well indeed, its just when he gets isolated, his lack of pace becomes apparent.
    I wonder if Gareth has thought about a back five ? Scarr and Stewart in the middle, JJ and Harriman playing as fullback/wing back and ElAbd orchestrating from behind like an Egyptian Baresi ?

• Is that Egyptian for bar manager?

• @Wendoverman said:
    micra I suspect Diving Danny will drag Al-Abd and the game down to suitable lows as per usual. As for the rest of your post, you've not been found wandering around the shops in your dressing gown and slippers again have you?

Sadly, yes. Thought I'd got away with it in the Co-op until I reversed the mobility scooter into a large pyramid of baked bean cans.

• @Malone said:
    Manboobs , the only problem with 3 outright strikers is who creates the chances. Paris is arguably better than Kashket and Tyson at that. Still to be seen if CMS is a creator at all.

Otherwise there's a lot on Saunders shoulders. That and Bayo bringing down punts for his partners.

Point taken. Then throw on Paris as well and drop Brown. We'll just outscore them.

Or here's an option- keep Bayo in reserve and a 442 with Kashket and CMS up front. Paris Saunders O'Nien and Gape. Tyson and Bean as closers if all going well. Tyson and the Beast when it isn't.

Although that leaves nowhere for the loanees. It's a potential embarrassment of riches if everyone is fit. Which realistically they won't be. So now I'm unreasonably pessimistic.

God I love this game.