Skip to content

Keeping an ear out...

I was hoping any of you ST holders at AP could keep an ear out this season to see if they ever play 'Wycombe Strong' again. I have one confirmed play last season at the Notts County game, but have no idea whether it will be an ongoing thing, as seeing as I am in the States, my personal visits are going to be rare! When they played it before it was a good half hour before kickoff, so this is more for early arrivals...

So, if any of you hear it this year, please give me a shout. No prizes on offer, except the satisfaction of a good deed done. Although if anyone managed to capture it on your phone, it could be worth a baseball cap of the American sports team of your choice!

Comments

• I remember you now@Shev! I have age-related memory problems but the exchanges earlier this year have come flooding back.
    It's good that you keep in touch. As someone who sits in the Woodland Lounge until a few minutes before kickoff, I'm afraid I can't help with your request but I'm sure there are many who will keep an ear out.

• Don't worry I'm Billy no mates up in the FA and arrive early I shall keep my ears open

• Is this a royalties thing, @Shev ?

• Thanks all. They may never play it again, but I appreciate @Morris_Ital keeping an ear out in the Frank Adams stand.

@HCblue - no, I offered the song for free. The club themselves did not want it, but the stadium PA guy played it on my request before the Notts game last season. I have no idea if he still plays it or not. The fact it got played once tickles me no end, and I don't know what I should do with myself if it ever became even a once in a while thing!

• @shev - sorry, didn't mean to come across as sarcastic or cynical! :-)

• @HCblue - no worries mate. I did not take it that way!

• Good! Just thought best make it clear - the internet can be a clumsy tool in clumsy hands like mine!

• @Morris_Ital said:
    Don't worry I'm Billy no mates up in the FA and arrive early I shall keep my ears open

You're not the gent with a book and a kitkat chunky in block M are you?

• @drcongo said:
    You're not the gent with a book and a kitkat chunky in block M are you?

Occasionally with a book but I am trying to cut down on the Kit Kats

• Thought he was calling you chunky, Morris.Then realised there was no comma after kitkat.

• lol It's a fair cop @micra my middle age spread has become a middle age double spread but have no fear I have joined the second batch of FFITers

• Here in Pedants' Corner, I thought it was an interesting choice to place the word 'chunky' after the word 'kitkat', rather than before. To me, it sounds a very French way of saying it.

• But, it's actually called a KitKat Chunky

• I'd like to know more about that trio who sit in the 'royal box' three seater bit above the steps into block Q or R.

They bring a right old spread and lay it out on the royal box tableau. Jaffa cakes, pork pies, luxury crisps - there must be a waiting list to join them. No books though.

• @Morris_Ital what books do you bring and when do you read them?

• That's a little personal @peterparrotface! Well, it could be. We'll have to wait and see.

• These days I tend to get overly agitated before kickoff God knows why! I suppose arriving so bloody early doesn't help although after the whistle I'm fine and in the game. therefore I occupy myself and take it down a couple of notches either by reading or listening to whatever band/artist is my favourite at the time.
    I'm pretty liberal with my reading and listening material I've never really understood people who stick to one genre.
    Currently I'm reading Dark Star Safari by Paul Threroux father of Louis and listening almost obsessively to a band called Public Service Broadcasting.

• @Morris_Ital I'm also enjoying that new PSB LP right now. A really atmospheric piece.

• Good choice @Morris_Ital Loved Race For Space...haven't gotten round to the new one as yet.

• @Wendoverman "Every Valley" is well worth a listen @arnos_grove is right when he calls it atmospheric it's you can hear the melancholy,loss,anger,pride from that lost industry. "Race for Space" has probably made it to pretty near the top of my list of favourite albums it would be great for the blues to run out to "Go"

• I will make every effort to get hold of a copy...I am told they are very good live.

• @drcongo It was just a light-hearted airing of a debate I've heard more than once in the coffee room at work - some people do actually say "Chunky KitKat". To me, saying it the other way round sounds like a foreign translation.

Anyway, this is f all to do with "Wycombe Strong". Or Jaffa Cakes...

• I too enjoy listening to Public Service Broadcasting, although I own only the Inform-Educate-Entertain album; must catch up on the later ones.

I'm going through a phase of enjoying out of the ordinary music at the moment and am hooked on an album that actually gets advertised in the Wycombe programme every match day at the moment, as part of the Cherry Red Records advertising.: New Facts Emerge by The Fall. I am sure many people would find it utterly unlistenable, but I absolutely love it. Totally barking, but gets my foot tapping and head nodding and brings a smile to my face every time. "Stop shaking down those frogs!"

• Going to look out for the agitated guy with the books when we pop down to the street party in Block Q early doors Luton game

• Street party in Block Q? We pass the sweets round every home goal in Row A but blissfully unaware of a street party. Must be a good few rows back. Either that or it's a characteristically "refained " Gasroom style affair.

• @Wendoverman said:
    I will make every effort to get hold of a copy...I am told they are very good live.

Looking forward to seeing them at Rock City soon - an old haunt of yours I imagine?

• Just found out confirmation I am moving to Denver from Vegas for a new job, which has the knock on effect of meaning I probably won't get to Adam's Park this season owing to not accruing enough holiday time by April/May. I am looking at this time next season now, at which point I plan to meet any of you that want to. I'll bring the chunky kitkats!

• It's "Kitkkats chunky" @Shev
    Congrats on the new job though!

• @LeedsBlue said:
    drcongo It was just a light-hearted airing of a debate I've heard more than once in the coffee room at work - some people do actually say "Chunky KitKat". To me, saying it the other way round sounds like a foreign translation.

Maybe the sophistication of the adjective following the noun was what they had in mind when creating the Austin Allegro, or the Hyundai Pony

• @Shev lot of Wycombe fans in Vegas all the time, you'll know them by the grey v neck jumpers and Brown shoes