Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers (EFL Trophy)

13»

Comments

• Can Alvin play at right back?

• I say 'sign Alvin.' He's more likely to get the chipmunks in on loan. A complete back four. But not a lot of height.

• @Chris said:

Wish I only had to click to enlarge.

• Id be on the phone to Qpr to see if we could get Ingram back on loan hes clearly not going to play there must be getting fed up warming the bench.

• you can see whats gonna happen, we are gonna keep conceding goals and GA is gonna come under pressure and end up walking or getting sacked and take his mate Baz with him and we will be left with Brown and nobody else with the window firmly closed.

• We're in 8th, we've lost one league game.

• and Mansfield have won 1 drawn 2 and lost 1 but it won't stay that way, we aint even played anybody good yet, lets see how we look when Luton come on the 16th and give us a hiding.

• @rmjlondon said:
    and Mansfield have won 1 drawn 2 and lost 1 but it won't stay that way, we aint even played anybody good yet, lets see how we look when Luton come on the 16th and give us a hiding.

Full of optimism as usual. Last season we shipped quite a few goals in the first 4or 5 games

• Sounds like the defence were keen to support the B Team Boycott movement and failed to turn up.

• @Wig_and_Pen said:
    Sounds like the defence were keen to support the B Team Boycott movement and failed to turn up.

Ironically, admittedly on the evidence of 11 minutes of "highlights" but backed up by comments on here and on FB, we played a lot of good football on the deck and carved out several good scoring opportunities. It really does boil down to the shortcomings of the back four and perhaps also of midfielders with defensive responsibilities.
    I assume neither Anthony Stewart nor Will de Havilland played last night so it was a makeshift defence.

• Stewart did come on as a sub in the 2nd half, but strangely it was for El Abd, rather than Sido who'd struggled all evening. No sign of WDH. It should be pointed out that our defence was left rather exposed at times by our all out attacking policy. It made for a highly entertaining game and we played the better football, but Rovers were much less mistake prone and much more ruthless in front of goal.

• Will be interesting to discover whether Stewart appears as good a defender without Aaron pierre alongside. Big test for him this season.

• edited August 2017

@Wycombe85 , I saw WDH. But it was 15mins before the game in a suit, trying to get into the Vere (or whatever it is now) Suite entrance.

• @rmjlondon why do you pretend to support this team? Besides your hit and miss transfer predictions you seem to revel in doom...or predicted doom. County apart two away wins to begin the season is a decent start in my book and Barnet beat Luton.

• I've only seen the goals, but the defending did seem non existent. Hard to blame Scott Brown for any of them.

Was it Southwell who missed the 1 on 1 just before their third?

• @floyd , even the one from miles out he didn't get near to?
    I worry about keepers who get beaten from miles out regularly who don't get close to the ball. Nikki Bull was like that, albeit excellent at saving pens.

• @Malone Sido kicked the ball right to him. And from the camera angle it's hard to see how close Brown got to it. Looked like a great finish.

• edited August 2017

ps yes Southwell on the miss.

A great chance for a double. What i'd find worrying if i were him, is that the new loanee started centrally over him.

He can only be at the bottom of the list if everyone is fit. Which granted won't happen, but he's not getting that chance in his main position so how can he elevate up the list?

• I too fear for Dayle, especially as it seems his only hope for the future seems to be when several others are injured.

I think GA's preferred front three are Bayo, PCH and Tyson. When they start CMS and Umerah and/or Freeman will be on the bench and Dayle won't get a look in. He's probably the lowest paid out of that lot apart from the loanee, but that might be the only thing that counts in his favour.

• Nikki Bull used to make some extraordinary saves

I loved Nikki Bull. Played as though he really cared

• CMS will definitely be in the Gareth Ainsworth dream team. I suspect it would be Kashket - Bayo - CMS with PCH and Tyson coming off the bench.

• edited August 2017

Yeah I was gonna say, there's no way CMS won't be a regular if fit.

Bayo is the certainty, and I'd imagine Kashket/Tyson/Paris will be on a similar level to CMS, but between these last 4, chances are that we'll only ever have 2 of them fit at most, with perhaps a 3rd either rehabbing/resting.

So there won't often be any sort of selection issue that you'd have if all were fully fit regularly.

• That brings the conceded haul to 19 in 6 games. The new dazzling, scientifically designed keepers shirt is starting us 3.1 goals down a game!

• Right, it's unlikely that Bayo will stay as healthy as he did last year and we know about Kasket's situation and the frailties of Tyson and PCH.

• @prufrock_91 , ultimate sod's law really. Give it loads about how it'll "put the other team off", and then ship the highest tally we've ever started a season off with.

Would have to chuckle if it was anyone else but us!

• People kept saying that about Bayo last year @floyd my contention is his strength and his style of play suggest to me he will make the season without serious injury. Famous Last words I know.

• I agree with you re Bayo's "fitness" @Wendoverman.