Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

1235»

Comments

• @Right_in_the_Middle is correct on El-Abd and Jombati.

Sido breaks the line to play the number five onside for the header and then gets in a real pickle trying defending the back post on the third. Arguably plays the crosser onside and then fails to track him on the second as well, although that may be a little harsh.

Obviously El-Abd was far from perfect and panicked when Brown skilled the cross. But I think there is some lazy scapegoating going o just because he is the new guy.

Still a big fan of Sido and haven't seen enough of El-Abd really to pass judgement but on today's showing the latter was the better centre back.

• To be a little more specific about El-Abd then:

1. He doesn't have a dominant clearing header - a little like Sido, it goes up rather more than away from the goal.

2. He's not the tallest, and doesn't get off the ground much - his defending is largely through leaning in to his opponent.

3. He is slower than my grannie, and she's dead.

4. he has decent first positioning, but when beaten for pace, his only response is to try and haul his opponent down (with almost comical results v Lincoln, I believe).

5. He's a blamer, not a leader.

• @leapfrog - To have all the "attributes" you suggest, it seems strange he has managed to have around 450 first team appearances with well over100 being at Championship level!

• @Glenactico said:
    I think there is some lazy scapegoating going o just because he is the new guy.

That's definitely what I'm doing. Though it's getting less lazy with each passing week.

• Just watched the highlights (in Cornwall for the w/e).

Gosh - that was ugly!

• Missed the game (should have offered my season ticket to DevC for the day), saw the highlights.
    El-Abd was terrible and Brown pretty poor also. I hope Stewart is back next week? Any news regarding the injuries to Saunders, Tyson and PCH?

• Indeed @mooneyman - and like Cameron and Blair before him, he was the future once. At his best at Brighton probably about eight years ago. Rarely played for Bristol City and Shrewsbury cancelled his contract one year into a two year deal. After Pierre, he is a significant trade-down, and based on yesterday (my first sight of him live in WWFC quarters), quite a disappointment.

• @leapfrog - You can't necessarily access the ability of a player on one sight. I looked in the Northampton local paper and they were not to complimentary to say the least on Pierre's performance yesterday. Apparently he was outmuscled (which I find hard to believe) for the first goal and then substituted early in the second half and walked off in a huff!

• It's all a load of bollocks and bollocks to it all.

• I'd still far rather have Pierre in our squad any day of the week @mooneyman. Were you actually there on Saturday to witness El-Abd's 'performance'? El-Abject. I very much look forward to his renaissance over the coming weeks.

• @leapfrog - Yes I was there and yes his performance was bad along with Brown, Southwell, Hayes and O'Nien.

What I was trying to say was it takes most new players a few games to get used to playing in a different system and with different colleagues, as appears to be the case with Pierre at Northampton. Some players may never be capable of being "Wycombised" and El-Abd may be one of them but we should give him at least half a dozen games. WDH was generally hammered on here, but a friend who is an Aldershot supporter thinks he is too good for the Conference and has already won two MOTM awards.

• I think he was saying Pierre is great and the fans have misjudged him, and it's possible the same is true of El-Abd.

Of course we'd all rather have Pierre back.

• well its all going like i said it would poor signings simple as lucky to finish mid table this season suppose that's acceptable to alot of the older fans .

• 3 games in and you would think we had been relegated from some of the comments on here. Saturday was not good as I am sure all the players and management team will agree, but it was only 3 points. There are another 129 available.

• i disagree about the signings and about where well finish trevor but then i would wouldnt i since im older than you but as you can see im still downwiththekids and kno how to talk there language .

• @trevor said:
    well its all going like i said it would poor signings simple as lucky to finish mid table this season suppose that's acceptable to alot of the older fans .

There's been no poorer signing in recent years than you signing up for a gasroom account.

• Leave Trevor alone. He's nice and succinct, entertaining to read and generally good vfm.

• as usual the insults some people on here cant admit they where wrong and i as right as usual lets see where we are at the end of the season then .

• @trevor oh dear I think you over-egged it there trev.

• Let's not beat about the bush here, all the fans, players and management would agree, Saturday was awful for 60 of the 90 minutes. All pre match plans go out of the window when players make catastrophic errors like Brown made and O'niens' clearance onto El-Abd for the own goal.
    Nobody on here appears to have given credit to the front 2 of Notts County? Stead, (albeit of good use for 70 minutes max), and Ameobi will give problems to most L2 defenders. They were clearly a class above most on that pitch & both with PL experience. They made mugs of our defenders last season at AP too. Too early to write of our defenders yet but they can't afford another display like that again in the near future.

• @EwanHoosaami I did. 'Notts were a good team with an experienced forward line. They will be up there I reckon ' I'm very hurt that you do not hang on my every word.

• @Wendoverman I shall read your every word with more depth in future & put it right!

• edited August 2017

@trevor said:
    as usual the insults some people on here cant admit they where wrong and i as right as usual lets see where we are at the end of the season then .

Come on then, let's have your prediction? Like all serial whiners, you've always got the trusty 'no-one will be more delighted than me to be proved wrong' excuse if you're proven to be wrong.

• It was actually El Abd that kicked it onto O'Nien not vice versa

• Just looked again, you are correct @DJWYC14 .