Skip to content

Match day thread: Notts County

Comments

• Hoorah first dog-shit of the season! cheers @rmjlondon First half we were truly appalling as if the players had never met each other. Why Hayes was on the team sheet to begin with I'm not sure. Kudos to GA for biting the bullet and making two changes at half-time...and please make this the team to start the next league match as we looked good going forward which released the pressure on a poor back five. Harriman running at defences is, well, exciting to watch and dangerous for the opposition, in case you did not know. We were lucky not to be 4 - 0 at half-time. Some of the football we played in the second half was excellent to get back into it, even Bloomfield put two crosses on Bayo's nut that should have gone in but let down again by the defence. Jury out on El-Abd and Brown, but it's only the third game. @bigred87 I thought you and your son were so upset you stopped watching this shit about two years ago now. When he tells you he does not want to watch this shit anymore , just say it's early in the season and we've only lost one so far. He might change his mind. Notts were a good team with an experienced forward line. They will be up there I reckon so hopefully Gaz has learned something today! CMS looked like a good option but if we are going to play three upfront we need pace either side of Bayo. Hayesy was a mistake today and took up a place in the matchday squad in my opinion.

• I have been Hayes biggest fan but his legs have gone and its time to leave, more fool GA for giving him the 2 years and not 1 !

• Utterly dismal today, worst performance in a long time

Brown - Hopeless today, didn't come for crosses and at fault for multiple goals

Harriman - probably MOTM, did OK
    Jombati - played out of position, but one of our better players
    El-Abd - After looking decent in some games, was an absolute shower today
    Jacobson - shoddy defensively, but great free kick

Gape - Battled, but looked likely to be sent off
    Bloomfield - Mediocre but toiled
    O'Nien - best midfielder, but hardly vintage

Akinfenwa - battled hard, but County's tall players nullified him
    Hayes - just why?, well past it, lost the ball which led to County's second
    Southwell - way off the pace, needs a loan spell somewhere, not good enough at present

Freeman - been calling for his inclusion for ages, despite our negative narrow pitch, he changed the game
    CMS - spurned a fairly simple chance, down to lack of match fitness I guess
    Williams - too little time to judge

• I don't really know how people can be complaining the football has been poor. We were excellent in the second half and played the ball around nicely. Same last week at Vale. Plenty of goals too.

We have in fact struggled against two sides that have played a direct game. County played it up to two big forwards, broke up the game and wasted time.

You can't have it both ways!

• I disagree @Glenactico, when County were at their best in today's game (the first 40 minutes), they were passing and moving very well, stopping and looking up for the pass.

Our midfield three were all abysmal today, I lost count of the failed backwards headers, not one of them could bring it down and pick a pass.

• @Glenactico said:
    I don't really know how people can be complaining the football has been poor. We were excellent in the second half and played the ball around nicely. Same last week at Vale. Plenty of goals too.

We have in fact struggled against two sides that have played a direct game. County played it up to two big forwards, broke up the game and wasted time.

You can't have it both ways!

Are you in deep deep denial? The style of football is so bad, and before anyone says "it's league 2 what do u expect etc." Lincoln played it on the floor and so did Notts....i can't comment on vale I wasn't there but from my point of view the style is very bad @Wendoverman 2years ago was bad, but as iv said he's really stamped his style now and it's a shame because he's a nice bloke but his managing skills are so negative and lack any depth the whole pitch narrowing thing ffs

• First game I've seen this season - and frankly wish I'd had a few more days' holiday. Brown looked like a clown and played like a clown today. El-Abd has the turning circle of the QE2 without the grace and finesse. Southwell? Well God loves a tryer - but what on earth was he trying to do? Just out of his depth at this level. As for Hayes, well for 45 minutes he was odds-on to win the John Sutton award for impersonating a statue.

County were a big, lumpy, hoofing team who'll probably do quite well in Div 2 this season - but for the first 25 minutes of the second half, Wycombe made them look very ordinary. However, Brown's teflon gloves plus sheer panic at the back delivered a very predictable result in the end.

I was glad there was a 'Plan B' at the start of the second half, because there sure as hell had been no Plan A for the previous 45 minutes. But if there's any truth in the rumour that Ingram might be made available on loan, Wycombe should grab him fast. I wonder if Cheltenham still fancy Brown?

• On the plus side, as soon as I saw our team sheet I had a tenner on Notts County to win

• @eric_plant 'Paul Hayes is starting. Bet in play naaaaaaah!'

• Not about one player, more that we'd lost all pace from the front line and all creativity from the midfield.

I hadn't even factored in the worst goalkeeping display seen by a Wycombe keeper in many a year, which in the end cost us at least a point as in fairness to Gaz he realised the error of his ways at half time and made positive changes.

But when you let goals in like we did today then you have no chance at all. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a keeper come in on loan in the next couple of weeks

• CMS looked good to me. ALmost scored and I feel he will be an asset.

• I have waited till this time before I commented on todays game, I have calmed down a tad. So 3 of our better players PCH, Tyson and Man bun not available. 1st 45 minutes was woeful, El-Abt was extremely poor from where I stood, memories of Stuart Lewis as captain and still starting despite on a poor run of form. A rarity that GA made a change that affected the game.
    Notts started with two big, very experienced strikers, WW set up with 2 tall centre halves on the bench.
    I fear a frustrating season with our away form saving us (again) I am really not looking forward to the Bristol Rovers game, but I predict an away win at Grimsby.

• agreed @bill_stickers him and harriman were doing really well and he was calling for the ball. JJ and Freeman looked lively. Once he gets a goal I think CMS will be off like a shot.
    I like Paul Hayes...but the side of a front three serves no-one.

• Few random thoughts about today.

Scott Brown was awful today. Imagine how bad he would have been without the magic shirt. Needs a big game next up as I can't believe he's played this long without leaving his line.

The amount of time O'Nien spends on the floor moaning about something is embarrassing. Too good a player to do this. Stay on your feet man.

Jombati isn't a centre back.

The ball boy under the big screen was the laziest I've ever seen.

I can't find it in me to slag off Paul Hayes. His recent performances gave just been sad to watch. I'm not sure what can be done for him but he isn't a viable option and I don't really know why.

We played some cracking football in the middle section of the game. Some will dismiss this due to the result but it was great to watch. Maybe Ainsworth's changes helped? I think his initial selection cost us the game.

Why is the pitch so small yet the system is still so narrow Notts County could play around us?

• The narrow pitch also favours a long thrower which County utilised a couple of times, getting throws right into the box.

• I've always been a big defender on Hayes. Will probably admit now that he's past it, but he doesn't deserve the constant vilification from the terraces. He was no worse than Southwell who got off blameless - I honestly forgot Dayle was playing until he ran a bit down the touchline.

Booing him from the start was pointless today because he was only in the team as there wasn't another player that could be. Simple psychology surely dictates that pushing him on would have been the best option.

Also, @Right_in_the_Middle - in terms of cracking football, which you are correct we did play, I don't think it's really that tough to seem brilliant when momentum is swinging for you to score and the opposition are doing everything they can to give you the ball. As soon as County stepped up a fraction when we didn't get a 3rd, we handed them the game.

• Also, you have to worry that all our goals this season have been from a set-piece, apart from a PCH wonder-strike. Bayo against 2 tall County defenders was never really getting a big look-in.

• Hayes should never play for us again its as simple as that loan him out or terminate contract whatever just get rid. Why the hell did Ainsworth make El Abd captain im very worried stuck with him for 2 years. Only 2 positives for me Freeman was class and Stewart is fit again and has to play next week.

• @bigred87 said:
    Are you in deep deep denial? The style of football is so bad, and before anyone says "it's league 2 what do u expect etc." Lincoln played it on the floor and so did Notts....i can't comment on vale I wasn't there but from my point of view the style is very bad Wendoverman 2years ago was bad, but as iv said he's really stamped his style now and it's a shame because he's a nice bloke but his managing skills are so negative and lack any depth the whole pitch narrowing thing ffs

Lincoln were a long ball team. Both teams were almost identical a fortnight ago.

• From what he looked like and his impression of a bad juggler I think he should be renamed Scott Clown!

• @prufrock_91 I suppose I saw the momentum change as something Wycombe did and Notts Co giving us the ball back was due to us pressing the ball better and adding some pace to the game. Glass half full or half empty I guess.
    I thought Southwell worked hard in a position not suited for him. I think the manager could be ruining him as a talent.

• @drcongo said:
    I disagree Glenactico, when County were at their best in today's game (the first 40 minutes), they were passing and moving very well, stopping and looking up for the pass.

Our midfield three were all abysmal today, I lost count of the failed backwards headers, not one of them could bring it down and pick a pass.

Agree with you there. County had some decent possession first half because our midfield were totally absent.

• @Glenactico said:
    Lincoln were a long ball team. Both teams were almost identical a fortnight ago.

Both there goals came from playing football on the ground...

• Good to see Freeman impressed, hopefully he gets a decent run out now. I didn't see today's game but pretty obvious El Abd isn't good enough and the fact he has been made captain is very worrying.

• Encouraged to hear that GA's changes made a difference, albeit in vain. Disappointed, but not at all surprised, that Hayes was booed from the start by some. What's wrong with these people.

• Club captain & match captain please reconsider your positions. Hand back this weeks wages as a minimum, collect your papers and ask the Players Union if you can draw your pensions. We can't carry you, do the honourable thing. Thank you and good night.

• Well, at least there are lots of good talking points from today's match.

I'm a bit worried that Baz Richardson got his scientific formula a bit skew-whiff when he concocted those shirts. The only people Brown was distracting this match were el-Abd and O'Nien for Notts County's second - and every member of our defence for their fourth. Someone should alert Ben Goldacre for his Bad Science column.

Speaking of el-Abd and O'Nien - why was the latter playing the defensive midfielder role behind Gape and Bloomfield, leaving us with no creativity at all in the centre of the pitch? The only possible reason I can think of is that Ainsworth has lost confidence in el-Abd alongside the rest of us and has decided he needs O'Nien to shield him. It was a terrible performance from an out-of-position O'Nien when we had plenty of other defensive midfielders available.

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Stewart and Muller come in next week for el-Adb and Jombati - not that the latter did particularly badly but nor did he do particularly well. I really hope Ainsworth isn't stubborn enough to persevere with el-Abd after that shocker of a performance. He may not be fat any more - but everything else the Shrewsbury fans warned us about was borne out. Watching him loudly try to direct the other players to distract from his own ineffective performance, while slipping in the odd sly professional foul, reminded me of Paul Hayes last season, actually. There's nothing really to say about Hayes's performance today, sadly, because he didn't bother to give us one. At least Southwell has the excuse of being played out of position - Hayes only has the excuse of age.

I wondered a couple of days ago how CMS and Akinfenwa could play together and suggested it would work best in a 4-3-2-1 and I'm pleased to see that's what we saw in the second half, with Bayo at the fulcrum and CMS and Freeman off his shoulders. A much better system than the 4-3-3 with the front men spread wide, especially when combined with letting our full backs get forward and playing it on the deck, which we saw until their third goal went in. More of that please, and today will soon become an aberration on our way to promotion.

And while it's easy - very easy indeed - to be critical about today, Freeman's performance was a massive positive. Sharp, aggressive, lots of drive, great attacking intent, good eye for a goal - he could easily be this season's Kashket. I don't envy him if he has to compete for a place with CMS, Tyson and PCH every week - but on today's efforts I wouldn't be surprised if he soon became one of the first names on the teamsheet.

• I didn't see El Abd as being half as bad as some posters on here seem to have done. He had a torrid first half today but I don't think there is any reason to write him off.
    For me Jombati is the problem but once more it's the new guy who gets the blame.
    What ever happened to supporting your own.

• It was sad to see Hayes have such an ineffectual game after all he's done for us in the past. Though if you're brutally honest, he should have been hauled off after 20 mins (as cruel as that would have been). He offered no threat going forward and offered minimal resistance when County were on the attack.
    Hayes wasn't up to scratch though it wasn't his fault that the rest of the team was very poor as well. I don't think we strung three passes together in the first 20 mins and generally looked panicked and lacking composure.
    The turnaround in the performance after the double sub at half-time was remarkable. We came out on the front foot and played some good expansive football that surely would satisfy the discerning eyes of those who have had enough of the hoofball.
    All in all, it was a bad afternoon for us, though there were glimpses of some decent attacking football that should see us have a decent season if we can replicate it more consistently,

• Painful to watch at times today. I feel genuinely sad for Hayes. I don't think for one second he isn't trying his best- it's just not there for him anymore. Southwell - who knows. Playing in Ainsworth's system he offers us nothing for sure. El-Abd, I liked what I saw against Wimbledon - I'm not sure the captain's armband has done him any favours on today's showing of leadership and organisation. Brown- he has big shoes to fill and his confidence looked shot today. Positives- Ainsworth made a substantive change early enough to get us back I. It. Freeman looked good as did CMS. Season over - not by a long way. Some careful thought from the manager needed. Definitely.