Skip to content

Striker being announced at 1pm

Comments

• I think I probably asked this question this time last year and the one before, but my memory is shot, so...

Do clubs have to provide their pitch dimensions at the start of the season or can they theoretically change it one week to the next?

• edited August 2017

More importantly, can make it narrower at one end than the other and change it at half time so that the forwards have some space to run into but the defence is kept tight?

• I could see Gaz asking to reduce it even further at half time if we were winning.

• @drcongo said:
    More importantly, can make it narrower at one end than the other and change it at half time so that the forwards have some space to run into but the defence is kept tight?

A rotating isosceles trapezium?

• we're going off on a tangent again...

• I wonder if GA has thought of using the pyramid formation

• 5 goals for Peterborough from 10 games in less than two months at the end of last season isn't a bad return.

He's more chunky than lanky, Chris. Immaterial.

• Another big plus. He averages less than two yellows per season.

• I think it's spelt 'Phew!' @MindlessDrugHoover

• I really hope we get to see kashket playing again, someone mentioned a chronic injury

• I think chronic condition is more accurate @bigred87.

• You're correct, Mindless. And I'm the one who comments on "10 items or less" in Morrisons. I was way too careless!

• I would say GA getting CMS in is a very good bit of business when u hear what some players are on and moving for even on loan.

• Good signing - well done to both AH and GA for getting him.
    At 33 I think a one year deal is right, particularly if he can reproduce the flair and goals that made him a £2.5 million player for Brighton. COYB! !

• This signing really does make Hayes redundant.... cue a mid table finish..... cue Ainsworth moving on after not hitting the desired result in the 5 year plan.... cue Hayes taking over as caretaker.... cue Hayes accepting a permanent role as WWFC manager??????

• What is gods name are you on ?

• How does getting a better striker in cue a mid table finish?

• We will see @James... many have thought Hayes has been lined up for the managers job for a while.....

• Why else would we keep him? He's seemingly lost his captaincy to the Egyptian..... and I would pick any of our forwards before him on the team sheet on current form. Also he's just got his recent f.a awards.... unless he suddenly finds the form he found at white Harte lane.... what use to us is he? And I'm a fan of hayesy by the way!!!!!

• @Alexo said:
    Why else would we keep him? He's seemingly lost his captaincy to the Egyptian..... and I would pick any of our forwards before him on the team sheet on current form. Also he's just got his recent f.a awards.... unless he suddenly finds the form he found at white Harte lane.... what use to us is he? And I'm a fan of hayesy by the way!!!!!

Because he's under contract?

• @bill_stickers I don't believe we will finish mid table.... and I think it's an excellent signing that will only help us towards our goal of promotion. I was just thinking out loud. I can't see where Hayes has a part to play in the current crop. Am I alone here??

• Previously I thought we might play Hayes in a central role behind a front 2 or 3 to engage the forwards with his little flicks and his deft touch. Now we have Saunders however... and I can't see him displacing gape or onien if they are firing on all cylinders

• @Last_Quarter to be fair..... point taken!!!
    For some reason I had it in my head that he was out of contract and had been offered an extra year.... obviously I'm talking shit then with regards to that... but my other comments still stand

• I'm still not convinced about Hayes being totally surplus to requirements. I'm not saying that he will ever be a regular any more - those days are clearly well behind him, but he was and probably still is a very clever footballer at this level. In 90% of matches at this level, that probably isn't that much of an attribute, but there will be the odd team we play against where his invention and ability to find space, as I'm sure he hasn't totally lost that, could be useful.

I'd expect him to be a regular substitute and come on in maybe 15-20 games and probably grab 2 or 3 goals over the season.

• edited August 2017

We will need to bring on Hayes to take the crucial penalty when the play off final ends in a draw!

• @bookertease I hope your right. But who would he come on for! Beast has cermented his place in the starting 11 for me. So has kashket if fit. CMS.... is a forward we would have only dreamed of a season ago... pch is pacey and can create something from nothing if on form, as is Tyson. Southwell is an enigma but I feel his enthusiasm and effort will in the end play dividends... when is Hayes being brought on??

• @ Alexo . I am with you on Hayes being further down the pecking order and I do not dispute that he could end up in a coaching role . I suggested you must be on something as I could not understand how signing a striker of this quality would mean a mid table finish ( unless you expected us to be near the bottom ) . Also that there is simply no way they will push GA for failing to get promotion . The only way this would happen is if things went really wrong and he was nearer the end of his contract . I therefore remain a little sceptical about most of what you are predicting

• Sometimes something is so obvious it just happens without a word, and that's Hayes being demoted to backup.
    A couple of years ago, him being out was a disaster. Now, with all due respect, you have to remember he's around.
    Good behind the scenes though! And hopefully can provide some good 20min bursts. Surely on the cards to move into some sort of coaching role with us. We never did fill such a role when Craig was rumoured to be coming back as player-coach, so that must be an option.

• @bookertease - I fully expect those three goals to all come against Chelsea in the FA Cup 4th Round.