Skip to content

Striker being announced at 1pm

from twitter ...

Comments

• Couldn't be Tarpey could it??

• Craig Mackail-Smith

• Shame it's not Tarpey. Could be a good signing though.

• @micra how tall is he?

• edited August 2017

He's been a cracking player. Very interesting to see how we'll try and fit him in.
    Does it mean someone like Paris is out for longer than expected? Kashket as well?

Or would we switch to a proper 4-4-2 or even 3-5-2 or something else.

Interesting.
    I can imagine the booboys are already moaning about "another old boy"

But Bayo,Tyson, Mackail Smith is one heck of a forward line!

• Doesn't bode well for Kashket's injury, but he looks a very decent signing for L2.

• Indeed @Malone I'm more worried about depending on another injury prone striker...I've heard that Ruth Tarpey is the answer to all of our problems.

• Kashket is out indefinitely with a chronic injury.

• Not good news for Hayes I would think. Nevertheless on the face of it an excellent signing. Didn't quite work out for him at Luton, partly due to injury, but he's been a top player at a much higher level than League 2 in the recent past.

• Or Southwell i imagine.

• edited August 2017

Get a sh!tload of oldboys in, and chances are we'll be able to field a couple of them each week. I like it!

Hayes unfortunately has been like a lower league mirror of Rooney, great at the start, slowly clapping out with a lot in denial, and then finally everyone realising he's completely not up to it anymore.
    A shame, but it happens. And again shows why footballers are entitled to seek the best for themselves, as clubs will drop them like hot potatoes when they fall away

M-S means that we can properly rest Bayo a bit more and not completely lack a physical centrepiece

• Craig is not a target man !

• Can he chase a long ball?

• Can he play at right back?

• Does he have good banter

• No idea, but if you are hungry, Craig is very good at knocking a fry up.

• That is a remarkably good signing. He was on megabucks before so either we've broken the bank or he's taken significant pay cuts over the last few seasons. It really is very impressive that Ainsworth snared him. Now we need to play a system that gets the best out of him and Saunders, rather than try to fit them into a system that doesn't play to their strengths. Excellent to see the Howard sporting director regime get off to such a fine start.

• Does he shop at Tescos.

• Very exciting signing, bodes well for year four of the five year plan (now I've done it!) and I agree with GA, "could be the final piece of the puzzle."

Who cares if we let two in every week as long as we score three or more, eh? Showing real intent now.

Well done GA & AH!

• 'Craig is not a target man !' says @rmjlondon . First name terms? Perhaps it's not GA and AH we have to thank for this marquee signing?

• Interesting. What sort of player is he? And should I be concerned that it's FIVE seasons since he had a good goalscoring record? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Mackail-Smith

• The system we need to find is one similar to how Port Vale let us play last week. Saunders had the freedom of Staffordshire to ping balls about. Strangely the exact reverse to how little time he had against Lincoln. Hopefully this weekend will see a more ordinary balance between the two.

• @prufrock_91 GA needs to widen the pitch at home, so there's space for the team to play. Mackail-Smith is a very good signing. Be interesting what formation and if we now have a plan b.

• Given that GA was complaining about how wide the 'Wembley of the North' pitch was last week, it's unlikely that he'll be widening AP any time soon.

• edited August 2017

Surprisingly pathetic goal return at Luton, but they weren't especially redhot in that period, and we know ourselves we've been a striker's worst friend for goals at times.

Past record was quality though.

Really does make it interesting how we plan on using him, as while Tyson has played as a wide forward plenty of times, i'm not sure M-S has?
    Unless Bayo has developed a knock, or we're going to be super careful with him.

It really will make it interesting how we intend to play going forward, as Gaz has already said Tyson will be a big player for us. And Bayo is a mist, so surely all 3 will start, and we'll try and squeeze things centrally?

• Could be the new Simon Garner.

• Good to have another international on board.

• Or could be the new Trevor Aylott.

No one knows. Like any other signing cautious welcome and wish him the best.

Rowe or Southwell to be the next to leave on loan?