Skip to content

Flares

2»

Comments

• I know he broke the rules on taking those stupid things to a Wycombe game even after all the warnings from the club so why should i give a toss about him being banned? If you want to defend him that's up to you but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

• edited August 2017

Warned, and warned and warned.
    Can have no complaints.
    Just a lucky buggar that's he'd under 18 and that's not him done for life!

Ideal for the club in a way, a 2 year ban gives a very severe message, with the "it would have been life" stamp on top, but without having to give the life ban.

Surprised to read some sort of defending of running on the pitch earlier. Different from this offence of course, but still generally a completely selfish piece of oafery in most situations, and the rule of not going on the pitch is one the vast majority seem to manage to abide to.

Reminds me a bit of last season, arriving just before kick off, saw some animation in the car park. Some mouthy wretch was going ape sh!T at some club official, letter in hand.
    Turned out to have received a ban for his behaviour at Portsmouth. Foul and abusive behaviour. Ironic in the extreme watching him effing and blinding acting as if he'd been unjustly punished.

• Dragging the club's name through the mud....a few imbeciles

• @robin said:
    If you want to defend him that's up to you but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Who's defending him?

• Surely this young man is not part of the usual idiots at 14?

• I dunno. Some of the older members of that group do look a little bit Yew Tree.

• BSE said:"Im in agreement with @bookertease. I think the clubs handled it in the best possible way they could. At 14 easily influenced/mislead, I think 2 year ban is probably fair. A life time ban at 14 seems a bit heavy handed. However there is no place for flairs at football given than some in the crowd might have breathing issue's, not to mention other accidents that could occur via a flair."
    When I wore flairs, there was always the possibility that I or indeed others, could have tripped on the excess material flapping around! However, even in the 70's I can't imagine that wearing flairs might promote deep breathing or sudden shortness of breath in bystanders;-) Lifetime ban, well, I haven't worn them since but you know how fashions change....!
    Flares on the other hand, should be on boats/planes/fell walkers only for emergencies and they have VERY stringent legislation regarding their use (certainly cannot be let off on 5 November when they are date expired!). Pretty nasty things real flares when you're close enough to an active one.
    Seriously though, I agree with the Club response and BSE/Bookertease's general view in that at 14, a youngster might be foolish/stupid/easily led but it doesn't help to punish for life. We should all become wiser with advancing years and let he who cast the first stone etc. Remember that most of us did some pretty stupid things when we were younger (some of us survived). Believe it or not, at nearly 66 I can still make the odd mistake or poor decision. We have to hope that this youngster, will learn from this and become a solid, helpful supporter in future years. We certainly need new young blood as any look around at a home game will show the abundance of (or lack of!) grey hair. As we all eventually kick the bucket, so will this great club if we don't try to encourage a new younger following to take our place. That is not to say that we abandon standards, but we must retain a sense of perspective. D'ya know, I quite enjoyed wearing flairs, lets all go again shall we?

• I'm just waiting for someone to bring a drone in. Other than the many human ones already at Adams Park.

• I know I'm being pedantic, but I have to point out that these are smoke bombs, not flares.

• I think the club have done exactly the right thing here. I would like to see a 3 year ban for the next offender and increasing length bans thereafter. The idiots will soon get the message.

• whoops that's a howler of a typo!, thanks for making me laugh though @ValleyWanderer.

• Great post, wasn't it.

• A very sensible stance by the club & one to be applauded.

However, this type of behaviour will continue to spring up as long as UEFA turn a blind eye to smoke bombs in various European leagues & cup competitions. There are numerous social media sites with photographs of huge displays. It only eggs people on.

• @mooneyman said:
    HCblue - It doesn't take a lot of grey matter to understand that if you take a banned item into the stadium you are intending to make mischief.

Not automatically my brother took a Stanley knife into the ground once. Forgot it was in his pocket.

• My mate took a 6" knife into Wembley a few years back quite by accident. He's a huntin' shootin' fishin' type and it was in his inside pocket in his wax jacket. They had given him a pat down. Which goes to show that smuggling a smallish device or weapon into a ground is not that hard. My daughter showed me yesterday how I could take something the size of a smoke canister into a ground quite easily (no not that way). So it will happen again unless we resort to rigourous clothing searches, something I imagine most of us would find overly intrusive. Therefore i think the deterrent has to come from punishment alongside reasonable prevention. Two years seems about right to me bearing in mind age- and one assumes no previous.

• @Watford_Blue - I accept an item like a knife can be accidently brought into the ground as we all use one for many different practical purposes. However I am at a loss to see how anyone would need a flare for everyday tasks.

• Coastguard?

• Mountain search and rescue?

• edited August 2017

But this was smoke bombs, so special forces? CHERUB, maybe, given his age. (That one's for our younger readers.)

• Grounds with indifferent floodlights?

• Performance enhancing device for players considered lazy?

• Could just be to obliterate the view so you don't have to actually watch. A perfectly valid reason although I find burying my head in my hands simpler

• Following on from @DevC , perhaps he wanted to inject some flair into the team and, being young, was unable to spell it correctly.

• It won't be long before someone says this lad has a 'banning order.'

• The lad has a two year banning order.

• you cheeky monkey @micra . he doesn't

• Oh dear, am I wrong again. Serves me right for not going over the previous posts. Lazy.