Skip to content

Blackman stars for Blades in debut

I see that Blackman did really well for Sheffield Utd yesterday in front of over 26,000. Great for the lad. We really missed him yesterday. He will be a really top keeper.

Comments

• My season ticket holding mate said he pulled off two superb saves and commanded his box as a big part of the win. Supporters have apparently taken to him. Good luck to him.

• Delighted for him but we didn't miss him, Brown made the one excellent save required of him lie to his right in the first half, the goals were not his fault. He is a good experienced keeper at this level.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Delighted for him but we didn't miss him, Brown made the one excellent save required of him lie to his right in the first half, the goals were not his fault. He is a good experienced keeper at this level.

Heartily agree. Like the skipper (El-Abd) he is very vocal too. Had a right old go at Sido at times (after each goal especially!). They are old mates from Cheltenham days, of course. His goal kicking is also an asset if the lump it to Bayo policy persists, as I fear it will.

• Pathetic StongestTeam. Blackman did a great job for us and I am sure most of our supporters will watch his progress with interest. There is life outside Wycombe!

• I liked the way Brown raced 50 yards to remonstrate with the ref for allowing that oaf Rhead to slow the game down after their goal, and go down with a hoax injury.

Didn't think he had that sort of anger in his locker. Good to see.

• @Blue_since_1990 while I agree it's interesting to see what happens to Blackman @StrongestTeam correct to say it's irrelevant to us.
    Last year he was only on loan from Chelsea, we always knew he would move on. Yesterday Brown was the only keeper whose performance mattered, it wasn't 100% perfect but then I didn't expect it would be. However, it was what I largely expected of a regular league 2 keeper.

• Brown has won promotion from this league before, he is perfectly good enough for our club, just cos we had a good loanee last year doesn't mean we have a god given right to have one every season.

• I'm interested to hear how he gets on, and happy that he had a good debut. Thanks for sharing the news, @Blue_since_1990 .

• @StrongestTeam - I don't think it is irrelevant how loan players progress once leaving us. If Blackman continues to progress and eventually becomes an established Premier keeper we will have played our part in getting his career going. This may encourage other Premier clubs to send their promising youngsters here for a year.

I certainly personally enjoyed watching Jamal last season as I did with Mawson a couple of seasons back.

• I enjoyed even more seeing Alfie Mawson making a massive contribution towards Swansea's survival campaign.

• @micra said:
    I enjoyed even more seeing Alfie Mawson making a massive contribution towards Swansea's survival campaign.

Indeed. If you love sport and can see the bigger picture beyond partisanship then it's not hard to take pleasure in watching players with potential during their time with your club and then beyond. Especialy when we can say 'our club saw something at the beginning and gave him a chance to show it'

For me Alfie's goal at Luton (who I make no apology for loathing with a healthy dose of partisanship) was a wonderful thing. I look forward to boring colleagues and friends with that story when he pulls on an England shirt.

• Nothing to do with letting goals in or Brown, just a good feeling regarding the fact that we have had a part in his career and induction into the football league.

It is certainly not irrelevant, as the way we treat and help develop our young loan players reflects positively on the club, thus making it possible to develop good relationships enabling future such loans.

To just dismiss the loan strategy as irrelevant is not right at all.

• 'Brown has won promotion from this league before, he is perfectly good enough for our club'

I saw this vaguely positive contribution from @rmjlondon and I think I must have passed out, have I missed any new signings?

• I don't think anyone has said Brown isn't good enough for us. The fact is that if you get offered a significantly better player on loan, the club would be silly not to accept it.

• Not always the case @mooneyman, it could easily give rise to dressing room chaos - the fact is that Brown was injured last season which is why taking on Blackman worked initially, and then he turned out to be so good that Brown couldn't get back into the team. It wasn't just a question of being offered someone who was better than we already had.

• @Wig_and_Pen , no-one knows for sure if Brown was actually intended to be first choice, or was simply a "get a decent wage guy in", allowing time to wait for a top class Premier loan.
    The injury may simply have brought forward what we were planning anyway

• edited August 2017

I'm fairly sure Brown was intended to be first choice, and it's pretty much confirmed by the fact he's first choice this year.

• I doubt Brown is particularly cheap, he was certainly intended for first choice in my view.

If he was signed as potential back up, why was he loaned out once we signed Blackman and he returned from injury? Because a) we promised him first team football and b) we couldn't afford him + Blackman

• As it turned out, everybody benefited on the goalkeeper front. We got to see a potentially top class keeper, Chelsea managed to progress his career, Cheltenham got a good keeper and Brown himself was quite happy playing back there on loan.

• Good thread