Skip to content

Heads Up Wycombe!

No moping, no recriminations it's time to get those heads up and grasp the opportunity in front of us.

None of us would have thought we'd make the Play-Offs this season and we're potentially 2 games against Stevenage/Plymouth away from a Wembley Final.

I'd take that.

The first leg is 2 weeks away and the final 4. Plenty of time for us to recover, regroup and re-discover our mojo.

Add Pierre and a fit-again Holloway, Saunders and Jacobson to that team that played today and I'd give us every chance in a straight 4 team shoot out. Particularly, as we've only got to play one game on that shambles of a playing surface at AP.

C'mon Gareth, this is your moment.

Comments

• @TheatreOfChairs giving up on going up automatically then?

I'm actually more confident about next weekend than I would have been had we been top three. Totally different kind of pressure. I do worry that there aren't enough days in the week to get the energy levels back and the injured fitter. One thing that is for sure is that every last piece of energy will be given to the cause.

• Yeah, I'm liking the fact that 2 out of the three playoff games are effectively away games. Still, who knows what next week will bring.

• While still hoping for another miracle, in the event of the play-offs, does anyone know what the situation is with all our loanees? Do their loan contracts not end on the 3rd May?

• No I'll be there and I'll sing until I can't sing any more but the odds are stacked against us now. I just can't see a Southend side that hasn't let a goal in for the last 8 matches failing to get the point it needs.

But we have to go Northampton Town and chuck the kitchen sink at it don't we. Although they'll be some difficult calls to make on some players. Such as do you risk Sam Saunders if he's 90 per cent or give him an extra week to get himself fit for the play-offs.

• Loan players will all be fine. Mawson and Onyedinma run to conclusion of season whenever that is and Saunders and Nico can be extended up to 3 months - which wouldn't cause us an issue.

Only problem could be if Brentford recall them either this week or if they make the play-offs themselves and need them back.

• I remember something about Saunders and Yenariss loans only being until next Saturday. Brentford said they wouldn't allow them to play in the play-offs

• Are u sure?

• I'm sure I read that too about Saunders and Yenariss. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

• If you had offered me fifth at the start of the season I'd have wept tears of gratitude.

I almost wept after today's game....

Funny old game....

• Any short term loan can be extended up to 3 months.

Yes of course Brentford could refuse to extend it if they need either player but why would they as neither is in the first team frame at the minute and if they need them on the play-offs because of injuries they can always recall them at 24 hours notice.

• Just for some reassurance http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32018740 the extended deal will include play-offs if needed. So no need to worry. Feel ever optimistic despite the results today!

• Just reading Brentford's website, the loan deal for Saunders & Yennaris runs out on May 2nd. Whether the deal can be extended is not clear. If it's possible to extend the deals, I wouldn't think Brentford would object unless they themselves sneak in the play offs in which case they may well recall Saunders if they consider him to be fit enough to play some part for them.

Would certainly be interesting to know if the loan deals can be extended to include the play offs?

• Wembley win for the mighty Wycombe. COYB!

• @Wycombe85 Yeah thats what I originally thought but the BBC sport article says it can be extended to play-offs if we drop into it. "The loan deals could be extended to include the play-offs, should the Chairboys drop out of the top three." I hope its a trustworthy source.

• Saunders was in the Woodlands after the game and was talking about the possibility of being fit to play for us in the playoffs. So draw your own conclusions from that.

• Ah,well that's good news. In that case, if things don't work out for us next Saturday, there's no reason not to feel fairly confident of our play off chances, provided our injury situation improves.

• I seem to remember St Martin once talking about how the Adams Park pitch had been built to the same dimensions as Wembley's, and this is why his side was able to win there every time they went. Wonder how far off we are now that puts has shrunk and Wembley is a totally different stadium.

• @drcongo With our home form, I'd want Wembley to be completely different dimensions!

• Unless Brentford decided to recall either Sunders or Yennaris they would both be available for play offs should it come to that. As Sam Saunders said to me tonight at sponsors dinner "They want to finish what they started".