Skip to content

West Country blues

Comments

• Genuine question @DevC, why are you learning all the UK postcodes? Just something to pass the time?

• Wants a job as one of Santa's little helpers!

• Postcodes??? Please God someone stick a pun in here...for the love of all that is human!

• Learning every UK postcode, well that's my weekend sorted.

• Combe Martin

• @NorthDevonBlue said:
    Combe Martin

Longest high street in the world. Must have several postcodes.

@DevC no tricks. I should have said etc but I felt I should disguise it as an unlikely postcode.

To be honest, I am still reeling after reading that explosion of erudition from @ReadingMargerinist.

• Floyd, in answer to your serious question, I feel I must give you a serious answer.

In truth I must confess to having been somewhat economical with the actualite. I was riffing off Micra's rather bizarre suggestion that I would know the precise location of a post code over 100 miles away without looking it up.

In truth I know no more of Doncaster's post codes beyond a very quick flick through wiki .

I have never yet been tested on post codes midmatch, although certainly at Yeovil I suspect it would have been far more entertaining.

I am not learning the Uk's post codes. To be honest at my age I struggle to remember my own.

Humble apologies for my deceit. I feel ashamed.

Dev

• What I actually said (tongue in cheek) was "trust DevC to know that (or to be arsed to check it out)."

• I feel even more ashamed now Micra.

Must admit there is a little bit of me wondering whether maybe it would be possible to learn all the postcodes.

• @DevC I'm genuinely a little bit disappointed! But I appreciate your honesty... maybe I'll learn all the UK's postcodes!

• @micra Wikipedia actually says that Stewkley in Bucks has the longest high street in the UK!

• @Morris_Ital excellent! You should be on the stage...

• Just wondering if Dec c is a copper....."your only half way there son"

• I think DevC has quasi-forensic legal tendencies (possibly projected on to a cyber abbatoir) but very hard to prove. He also majors in Dev(il)'s Advocacy.

• Fun postcode fact: The numbering on London postcodes starts with 1 for the geo area closest to the centre of London, i.e. N1 for Islington, E1 for Tower Hamlets / Hackney. After that, the numbers are alphabetical... N2 East Finchley, N3 Finchley, N4 Finsbury Park and so on.

Over the years since this system was developed though, the 1 postcodes have often been subdivided in mysterious ways. I'm writing this in W1T. But no wit.

• Devils advocacy

Come on you horns

Oops wrong club

• edited July 2017

Sounds similar to motorways being numbered around a clock face. The post code chat and revaluations are fun

• @drcongo Interesting.

Less interestingly, I was always told that the S London postcode district was abolished in the 1860s because they didn't get enough post. Now it's Sheffield.

Same with NE, though you still see some signs of rebellion as the NE lot didn't take the change to very well. Now it's Newcastle.

• @micra Despite what you may have heard, I'm definitely not a Margariner. 100% a butter man. Funny you should mention cider abattoirs and Dev, whenever I read his posts I have the impression he has an internal monologue knockabout along the lines of Mr Winstone's alter-ego's attempts to convince him that he absolutely must bet in-play in the Colombian 2nd Division game between Universitario Popayán and Llaneros.

• Shame on me @ReadingMarginalista but even more shame on a spellchecker that can't even spell margarine.>

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

Sounds similar to motorways being numbered around a clock face. The post code chat and revaluations are fun.

Time to revalue all? Spellcheckers are an a bomb in asia. Defiantly.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    micra http://www.cbrd.co.uk/articles/road-numbers

You didn't hear nothing from me, capisce

Do nothing till you hear from me, capisce. Leave roads to Righty. I'm only interested in further revaluations (sorry, revelations).

• Afternoon all, first time posting on here. I've recently moved from London to south Devon. I heard there were some Blues living around here so just wanted to say hi. How often do people get up for games in normal times?

• @OxfordBlue said:
    @micra Wikipedia actually says that Stewkley in Bucks has the longest high street in the UK!

Thought this when I read it as my Dad used to live there - half way between Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard. Not sure it's much of a High Street, in fairness. Just a very long road, called High Street, that runs the length of the village and beyond.

• Welcome @Newtonblue. I hope you are happy down here. There are a few around in Devon and Cornwall (as there are no doubt dotted around the country ) - even more when the universities are operating. Maybe someone could organise a meet up if we find ourselves in LG1 and playing Plymouth or even Exeter next season.

If the eight hour round trip gets a bit much some weekends but cant bring yourself to watch another league club, may I (assuming you are of the Abbot branch of the Newton's) recommend Buckland Athletic of the Western League. Good cheap reasonable standard afternoon out.

TQ12 post code if I remember correctly. How quickly time moves on......

• @JohnBoy said:

@OxfordBlue said:
    @micra Wikipedia actually says that Stewkley in Bucks has the longest high street in the UK!

Thought this when I read it as my Dad used to live there - half way between Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard. Not sure it's much of a High Street, in fairness. Just a very long road, called High Street, that runs the length of the village and beyond.

I was told about 35 years ago when on holiday in Combe Martin (near Ilfracombe) that it had the longest (genuine) high street in the UK.

• @bs22chairboy is probably sat there now looking at all this thinking 'what on earth is going on/have I started here'

Welcome, to you new folks !

• Thanks @DevC Really enjoying life so far. Meet up before an Exeter or Plymouth game would be great (although let's hope we beat relegation and get them in the cup!). Yes, Newton Abbot is right. Thanks for the recommendation about Buckland Athletic, never heard of them but will check it out.

• Dennis the Menace comes from Mexborough

• And there’s me thinking he was from Merseyside. Saw him at a den he ran.