Skip to content

What is happening this season?

We now have decided that our No 1 choice in goal this season will be Scott Brown, who was discarded last season and sent to Cheltenham.
We have Nathan Tyson back on trial at 35 years old , after agreeing to release both Sam Wood and Myles Weston and now today we have signed on 2 year contract a centre half , who Shrewsbury fans are less than complimentary about.

Comments

• On the more positive side of things, you could argue we made the key signings late on last season. Paris and Gape on permanent deals, Saunders too.

Brown will do ok for the first team, meaning Pierre was the only uncertainty in the starting X1. Which we seem to have now taken care of filling if he does go.

• I hope you are right about Brown , as Blackman kept us in games last season Gape and Saunders are quality. Not so sure about Paris, as he is injury prone.

• Scott Brown wasn't discarded, Tyson is one of the best strikers ever to have played for Wycombe, and El Abd is a former international who has played 300 games for Brighton.

• If Scott Kashket is still having problems with his recurring injury problem, GA may be considering n having Nathan Tyson as his replacement to partner Bayo upfront.

• The whole Tyson thing is very intriguing.
    A lot of us love the idea of an ex star returning, but obviously it always comes with the risk they're not nearly as good as before.

However, it was still great to get Guppy and Betsy back, and they still added value, if not obviously how they were once. Hopefully Tyson has plenty to offer.

• Let's not forget, he hasn't signed for us, is is still here on trial. Is my memory fading, as I have memories of him leaving under a bit of a cloud?

• @Chris said:
    Scott Brown wasn't discarded, Tyson is one of the best strikers ever to have played for Wycombe, and El Abd is a former international who has played 300 games for Brighton.

rosetintedglasses we look weaker now than this time last season.

• At this point last year Akinfenwa hadn't signed and if I remember correctly we didn't have a goalkeeper so I completely disagree.

• Plus there's the whole matter of Sam Saunders.

• And Scott Kashket.

• @Chris said:
    At this point last year Akinfenwa hadn't signed and if I remember correctly we didn't have a goalkeeper so I completely disagree.

Thats your prerogative...i completely disagree with you.!

• You'd rather have Richardson in goal?

• @EwanHoosaami - I don't really recall Tyson leaving under a cloud, if you check back at the COTN articles from about August-November 2005 there's not any telltale BFP quotes where he acts like a knob, "my head's in the wrong place" (hi Jermaine Easter) etc etc, there is a big U-turn on going to Forest after he'd turned them down once, but that didn't really affect us.

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/onthenet/latest.htm

• Wait a few weeks wouldn't be surprised there will be a couple of signings I don't understand all the negativity .

• We don't really need any signings so any additions are a bonus.

• Are people seriously saying we look weaker now than this time last year?

Stupidity.
    Last year we had about 12 players! Hadn't heard of Gape or Kashket, the idea of Saunders was a dream, and Paris wasn't our player.
    Like someone else points out Bayo hadn't signed either.

So how in blazes was that stronger?!

• Don't remember Tyson leaving under a cloud. As I recall he was sold halfway through a very prolific season and carried on banging them right up until the day he was sold for a hefty fee.

Also agree that to suggest that we have a weaker squad now than 12 months ago is laughable.

• I'm sure there was some slightly less than ideal leaving issue.
    Something along the lines of either saying his head hadn't been right for a while, or going a little off the boil in his last couple of games. I remember a quote about he wasn't staying no matter how much money we "threw" at him.
    Can't quite place it, but not your "fake illness" Beavon, or Easter type scenarios.

• We definitely have a strong squad than 12 months ago. B

But do we have a stronger squad than at the end of the season (even if Pierre stays)?

We certainly lack depth now that Thommo, Woody and Weston have gone.

• Much stronger more settled and more prepared one must say.looks like good work in the office too ticket side.not many gripes and moans about early bird deadline and I was there yesterday richard in ticket office said we passed last season sales already. Thr sponsorship team has had a busy season with all the announcements today and I can't remember the last time we've felt so organised by and professional and not worried about if we will have enough revenues from sponsorship and tickets

• @Malone I don't remember anything at all about any kind of issue when he left. He was far too good for us at the time and we got, if memory serves, over £600K for him. He was a brilliant player for us and, as others have said, if he still has something resembling his old pace, he could give us a couple more great years at the end of his career, just as he did at the beginning of it.

• Woody and Thompson were calculated decisions that should in theory be covered numbers wise by Rowe and Southwell presumably being more full time members of the squad this season. (large parts of last season injured or loaned out).

Weston was unexpected and a void to fill, but Tyson might be our option there.

The longer it goes without Pierre news, the more we have half a chance with him. But clearly El-Abd is on standby as a replacement.

So we're fairly ready to put a quality league 2 team out for the first day, 5weeks early

• The last Shrewsbury captain we signed JJ turned out alright, so don’t write El Abd off based on what Shrewsbury fans have said online. Some Wycombe fans have said less than complementary things about players leaving us.

• On another site i asked Doncaster fans what they think of Tyson and to a man they all said hehas pace and puts in decent crosses so Akinfenwa will be happy.

• edited July 2017

It's early days but I wonder if Gaz has decided to heed Alan Hansen's less than sage advice this season about not winning anything with kidz. It looks like we'll be playing a keeper a decade older than our last one, quite possibly El-Abd in central defence rather than Pierre, then Saunders in the middle of the park and potentially Akinfenwa, Tyson (and Hayes) up front.

There will be a nice mix of old and young with Stewart, O'Nien, Gape, Rowe, Kashket and Southwell buzzing in around them. However what we appear to be missing are players at the prime of their career. PCH and Harriman are the only two I can think of in the 25-30 age bracket. I wonder if there are any other clubs who have such clear bunching in their squads at either end of the age spectrum. Problem is, those in the middle are generally the expensive ones.

• Never forget that a certain doom monger posting in this thread described Scott Kashket as 'a joke of a signing' last year. So there's plenty of hope.

• @arnos_grove said:
    Never forget that a certain doom monger posting in this thread described Scott Kashket as 'a joke of a signing' last year. So there's plenty of hope.

Mr boring returnsl #rosetintedglasses

• Kashket and gape......"what a joke" I believe it was along them lines..... same sort of response when we signed o'nien as well

• I broke my own rules and got involved in the Facebook group after someone described El Abd as "F*ing st" on it. I recognised the name as the same poster who had written off Gape and Kashket when we signed them (and was subsequently taken to task by Mr Parry). You'd think after a howler like that you'd want to keep your head down...