Skip to content

The Opposition View

What the Dons were whinging about this time...

http://www.wycombe.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=397057

Comments

• A bunch of kids who have no idea about the history of the real Wimbledon who themselves fought and scrapped to wins by any means necessary to get results in difficult circumstances. Much like we are being forced to do in this mountain of a slug towards the finish. Years of armchair dwelling watching megabucks teams in the champions league on weekdays have brainwashed fans into thinking it is their define right to witness "pretty" football regardless of the level I think.

• What aload of bollox, what fans of teams below us would love to be in the position we are in. Damn hard work and sheer bloody minded footy, with I might add some good quality football when it was possible, have got us to where we are today.....long may it continue....COYB

• Usual comments from the opposition. .all getting a bit boring now.No mention of the ludicrous 1st yellow dished out by the ref on Pierre..if that's a booking then there is a yellow every corner of every match.Refs at this level are poor for every side. .its not about cheating it's just they get so much wrong.

• "It was good to see two of their players injure themselves - they deserved nothing less"

You stay classy lads

• So we are 3rd just because of cheating..best away record in the country. .best ever points tally by wwfc shows we are a good side and have had a good season..

• Yeah they were a bunch of bitter and twisted tossers.

• Just another salty tears tears, jumping on this time wasting/cheats bandwagon. Easier to put their failures on the doorsteps of others, such as ourselves.

• ... salty tears team...

• The sad thing is we got a fair amount of praise from the opposition earlier in the season when we were in our prime. Now that we're down to the bare bones and having to scrap for everything of course it's not going to be pretty. And sadly the opposition fans jump on the tired old diving, time wasting, cheating cliche.

And it's a real shame that's how people will remember us if we do go up - we won't get the credit we deserve for a truly remarkable campaign.

• What other teams see and the reality of the situation that we know are usually two completely different things. I don't care what bitter and twisted drivel opposition fans care to write, we all know that this season has been the most notable overachievement by any Wanderers team certainly in my time of following the Blues (since 1992/93). More seasoned observers might be hard pressed to find an example of a Wanderers side that has so comprehensively confounded expectations (in a positive way!) for a good while I would imagine.

• It does get boring reading the same old nonsense so from now on I shan't bother.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    What other teams see and the reality of the situation that we know are usually two completely different things. I don't care what bitter and twisted drivel opposition fans care to write, we all know that this season has been the most notable overachievement by any Wanderers team certainly in my time of following the Blues (since 1992/93). More seasoned observers might be hard pressed to find an example of a Wanderers side that has so comprehensively confounded expectations (in a positive way!) for a good while I would imagine.

Totally agree it has been great fun this season and totally unexpected after last season
    COYB

• @eric_plant said:
    "It was good to see two of their players injure themselves - they deserved nothing less"

You stay classy lads

Amazing to see another fan owned outfit being so derogatory. Mid table tedium bubbling over to virtual handbags and a trip to dr quack's couch me'thinks

• It's easy to play pretty football when there's nothing riding on it as Wimbledon are mid table and can only dream of what we have achieved this season with all our problems.

• I have been frustrated by some of the 'game management' myself this season...but on the whole we've played some decent football and I think we've won more games and scored more goals than quite a few of the teams around us...so we can't be too poor. Its not like the teams that have come to Adams Park have played scintilliating skilful football.

• it might be frustrating for opposition supporters but the fact of the matter is that the long season has finally caught up with this heroic small squad, and it seems that most of them are either playing whilst injured or on the verge of getting injured. In both of the last two games opposition supporters have jeered players who have gone down who have then had to be substituted before half an hour is on the clock.

It's actually pretty sad to see but I am proud of how they've represented the shirt this season and believe that they should be very proud of themselves

I fear we may now slip into the play offs and take a bit of a hiding from a fresher side, and they really really don't deserve that.

Here's hoping that a favourable result tomorrow night might just give the lads the timely boost they need to get over the line. At least they've got a week to recover

• Spot on @eric_plant . If we can stumble over the line in front of Bury it'd be right up there with getting to the FA Cup semis for me - a quite simply unbelievable achievement. I too would worry about us keeling over if it did come ending up in the play offs, though really it shouldn't detract from what has been an incredible season.

• I would much, much rather we play football that frustrates opponents and gets results on a small budget by winning ugly than be a sort of lower-league Arsenal doing things 'the right way' at the expense of results.

• @Glenactico - absolutely. How many teams at our level do play this wonderful, skilful football we hear about? Just about every side I've seen this season has been big and physical, with a fair few seriously niggly, nasty ones in the mix. And living in Oxford I've had a whole season of their fans complaining that Appleton's got them playing pretty football at the expense of results and they'd rather have Wilder back.

• Time-wasting and dogged defensive work has been common from all the teams we've played this season. Only Oxford's first two well-worked goals, Williams performance in goalf for Tranmere and some of Exeter's passing play have stood out for me from the opposition. (I'm sure someone will remind me of something else I have missed)

• agreed Wendoverman, looking back Williams performance early in the season was amazing, how have they ended up at the bottom?

• He would be worth a punt if Matty moves on.

• Added another discussion thread, as 15 PNL players contracts expire this summer.