Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @MindlessDrugHoover @eric_plant Correct, Tuesday 25th January 1994 he scored the only goal of the game against Mansfield and so earned aforementioned trip to Spain.

• Is that the trip DeSouza got hurt on?

• No, that was the following year

We would have been promoted if that hadn't happened

• edited May 2017

Scott Shearer signs for Poxford!!!

• Can't see him getting much game time, unless Simon Eastwood gets sold or injured.

• Wow they must be desperate good move for him mind.

• Shearer is doing some GK Icon coaching for Richard Lee (ex Watford) - Lee's father is on the Oxford board so you can see how conversations may have started....

• Icon coaching?

• I crony perhaps?

• Peter Murphy released by Morecambe. They have however offered Ellison a new contract so that should be fun when we play them.

• Bad news for Murphy. Wasn't he their captain? Or did that change on one of his long injury spells?

• He's retired from football apparently. Sad news; he'll always have a place in my heart for that goal at Oxford.

• He started his wycombe career on fire. Sadly that was his purple patch and injury after injury buggered a really decent player.

• Lee Angol signs for Mansfield from Posh.

• Never saw enough of him to think he could go on to make a proper career so he has done really well for himself. He looked fragile when he played for us and timid to a degree. Seeing him play on TV a couple of times he has physically transformed himself. Mansfield have cash so interesting to see how he gets on.

• edited May 2017

That Murphy one is really shocking. 27 years old, so young to have to retire.
    Came in and did a great role for the first few months, when Ainsworth made a clear decision to beef the team up physically. Added that nasty cynical touch we'd certainly been missing too.

Definitely one to remember the next time anyone rages at someone for taking a better deal elsewhere.
    Especially in our league, careers hang by a thread at times.

Presume there must be some sort of insurance he can tap into. No idea if that'd give any sort of long term income, or just to a "natural" playing day age.
    I know people joke about a "PFA" pension at 35, bit again no idea if that is truth

• Danny Bulman signs for Crawley for a third time, has had a pretty impressive career since being shown the door by us.
    Quite remarkable for a midfielder whose game was based on energy and desire to still be going strong at 38.
    Danny has now amassed 822 FL and conference apps.

• Should be commended. It's what's upstairs that counts more than ability (when you've made it).

• Bulman always had more to his game than just his ability to get up and down. He showed real intelligence at the heart of midfield with Simmo. So it's no surprise to me that he's managed to adjust to the passing of the years and keep his career going.

• Tony Adams made some astronomically crazy decisions during his disastrous reign, but getting rid of Bully must surely represent the pinnacle of his incompetence.

• Tony Adams lost the plot years ago and never got it back. I see his.latest meanderings are that "Wenger couldn't coach his way out of a paperbag"! Wenger also is frightened of "big charaters", which is why Arsenal won't have him back in a coaching capacity. FFS, Adams has hardly blazed a trail of success in coaching since he took it up as a career!!!!

• No. Dropping Simpson and Currie was award winningly stupid

• Third time lucky from Fred Onyedinma in the playoff final today.

• Mike Williamson released by Wolves after being limited by injuries to only 6 appearances since joining from Newcastle in January 2016.

• @eric_plant @StrongestTeam I'm trying to remember, did Adams actually release any BAD players that summer, or was it just good ones?

• @StrongestTeam , i read that and thought there's no way Currie ever went for £250k, so went and double checked.
    £250k quoted in a few places. Still, your point stands though!

Adams came in, decided that we were already relegated (By early autumn!), messed around with glamour super short term loanees, as if to show his pulling power over long term actual helpfulness, slated Simmo and Currie as having "Given up", when he'd done just that.

Absolute buffoon of a manager. Not too far off Smith overall arguably.

• I never knew that Alfie Mawson considered quitting the game whilst at Wycombe?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bbc-pundit-tells-surprising-tale-13066610

• I'm sure this was while he was at Brentford before he had his season with Wycombe, but it's got lost somewhere in the retelling.

• @Chris said:
    I'm sure this was while he was at Brentford before he had his season with Wycombe, but it's got lost somewhere in the retelling.

He almost gave up before coming to Wycombe because of a knee injury. This was was documented in an interview whilst at Barnsley if my memory serves me right

• Interesting article on Gavin Holligan - there's life after football. http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/story-man-played-prem-played-stevie-wonder/