Skip to content

C*l u game abandonned

edited May 2017 in Football

With them winning.

No word yet whether result stands or replay required.

Comments

• edited April 2017

Blimey, now that's a huge call to make.

Would be absolutely gutting for Col Utd if that needs to be replayed with a few mins left.

but could do us a massive favour if it were replayed and Col Utd didn't win!

• Not sure if it could be used as prescedent but the Didcot vs Hereford game was abandoned in the 90th minute due to a pitch invasion and was replayed behind closed doors

• Goal difference won't be a factor for any head to head bar v Carlisle. I think I saw we're 4 goals better than them, and we'd need them to draw or lose to match them on points.

And the other teams above us range from 4 goals better to Blackpool way higher (I think I saw), so will be a straight points race.

• Must be a replay mustn't it? Would be harsh on Col U

• the teams just came back out to play the last eight minutes.

• Incredible to make them wait 2hours and get it on again!

Hard to argue it isn't a fair approach though. Would be a scandalous decision to rob Col U like that, however much we'd enjoy it.

• Reall the only option in the circumstances.

• Not been abandoned.

• Well, they said it had been. But it clearly was a genius ruse to get all the goon fans off the pitch

• It sounds like the last few mins were played in a sham like fashion.

• It sounds like the FL/ref took the right course of action here and played out the remaining mins being closed doors, ensuring a correct result (rather than an abandonment etc)

• @MindlessDrugHoover - Didcot v Hereford was played in front of 900 odd people not behind closed doors.

• Can confirm it was played 'behind closed doors' as I was one of the 30 or so guests who were in attendance!!

• yes there are videos of it online, orient players just passing the ball around and doing keepie ups and colchester not trying to play even and that keeps the integrity of the competition how ?

• Some of the other teams around Col U in the elague on very close goal difference may have a reasonable gripe at Leyton Orient players approach to the last 8 minutes - this DID NOT mantain the integrity of the game in any way at all whatever the EFL may say.

• @MindlessDrugHoover I thought we were being kind to @rmjlondon? Its not his fault. I'm sure. Maybe

• If the game was replayed it could be argued that a precedent was created whereby any team losing could stage a protest on the pitch to get the game abandoned. It was a no win situation for the Authorities.

• It wasn't quite no win for the authorities, if the players had come out and actually played football for eight minutes, no one would have reason to complain. It's not the EFL's fault that it was a farce.

• the referee just stood there no knowing what to do !!

• A bit like you!

• Imagine if they end up a goal short because of it

• @mooneyman is spot on about the dodgy precedent of being able to stop a result you didn't want by this sort of borderline hooliganism.

But the farce nature of the last 8 mins certainly would leave a dodgy taste to those in and around them.
    But the teams involved would probably say it's difficult to recapture the same intensity, in an empty stadium, and 2 hours after finishing and getting cold.

• The whole shebang is farcical. I believe Orient were fully committed against us and were the better side for much of the game. It's galling to think that their less committed approach yesterday could be instrumental in denying us a playoff place, however ill-deserved.

• If anything denies us a place in the p/offs it will be a zero points return from six games against Crawley, Col U, and Carlisle, rather than anything that went on yesterday. Even a couple of draws from those games would have made such a difference. Never mind. I think we have still had a decent season overall and I've enjoyed it.

• True @cycops but we've all had an eye focussed on current matches rather than those which are (fortunately) distant memories.
    Overall, a pretty good season albeit with too many frustrating performances at home including an eleven week winless streak.
    It's being so cheerful that keeps me going.

• Cycops?

• What, Micra?

• @micra said:
    Cycops?

Just acknowledging the typo in my earlier post, that's all. Hitting the hay now.

• Previous page.