Skip to content

Match day thread: Doncaster

Comments

• Final would be May 28th other dates not been set as far I can see.

• First leg Sunday may 14 6.30pm
    Second leg Thursday may 18 7.45pm

• edited April 2017

Both league 2 games played at the same times then? Unlike other divisions?

We'll all obviously be delighted with playoffs at all, to put it lightly.

But imagine getting a team 200 or more miles away on a Thursday night :-)

• edited April 2017

I believe final is sunday 28th

• @Malone both league one and league two semi-finals are clashing. It's ridiculous. Due to sky showing an avalanche of live prem fixtures in may.

• It will be Luton won't it? Not too far as the Hylton flies.

• It'd be a perfect chance to extract revenge on Luton for that 4-2 lashing, for Hylton's general cheating demeanour, and the cynical way he got himself sent off in the 92nd min last game to serve his ban pre-playoff.

Blackpool, Carlisle, Exeter or even Mansfield would be awkward Thursday night fare.

However, we'd all take the silliest trip to be in the mix of course!

• Just noticed L1 finishes this weekend, anyone know why they're a week early if their play-offs are the same time as ours?

• The whole set up seems strange. The Premier league running all the way to the 21st, despite having 8 less league fixtures to fit in.
    Smashing 3 games in a week sometimes, then 2 weeks for the farce of international breaks.
    League 1 finishing out of sync with League 2.
    Silly timings for playoffs.

Gotta love it

• League one playoffs are a week before League two's

• Given some of the down periods of this season and the Gasroom vitriol that has been sprayed around on here...the fact that we are only points away from the play-offs is the maddest thing of all...!!

• Lg1 playoff dates are 10 days before lg2, hence earlier finish.

Presumably Sky don't want live coverage of four lg2 playff games, hence the "clash".

• League one finishing a week early due to Wembley needing the venue on the Saturday for traditional play off bank holiday weekend.

• According to this (http://www.efl.com/sky-bet-league-one/key-dates/) the L1 play off final is May 20th, 8 days before we win promotion. If that's the case, the L1 semis can't clash with ours, because the 2nd leg would be two days before the final.

I'm with @DevC tho, whatever the answer, i expect tv is at the bottom of it.

• It was actually an even worse 4-1 "lashing" at Luton in September, although two late goals against the run of play, including a penalty, distorted the scoreline in their favour to some extent. I'd hate to have to meet them in the p/offs as their ground is such a stone age dump.

• ah...@Cyclops but Nathan Jones would be so very upset.

• @Cyclops , well corrected, and shame on me, having been there to see it!

I do remember being very close to the front, and watching with dread when the booze gang rode in at 2.58, expecting to be able to domineer their way to the most central back row seats (the year before they'd tried this by actually forming a row behind the last actual row of seats and hanging about in gangways! Before being moved on).

90mins of horrendous language at anyone possible. And such a level of goading at some particularly nasty looking Luton skinheads, that I did wonder if they might get seriously sorted out outside after.
    "it was just banter"

• @Malone and in the end it was goading one of our own players that got a reaction! Who knew? That could have saved them time and money...

• @Malone Yes - classic Drone Army activity that day. But it was all "just banter" and providing a bit of "atmosphere" for the benefit of us all.
    @Wendoverman You've lost me. Sorry! Is the answer Bananarama?

• The answer is almost always Bananarama @Cyclops

• edited April 2017

@Cyclops , it was also an interesting watch on what the stewards would accept.

From the guy behind me that used the "p word" in a taunt at their fans, over his opinion on the racial makeup of Luton, who was literally shoved by the steward! One of his mouthy friends tried to make a thing of it, but the guy himself knew he'd overstepped it and hushed down.

To a well known banned individual, called "Marshall" who spent the first 45mins doing some seriously oddball things, kicking the hoardings, goading his own fans, swearing a lot, gesturing to their fans, whilst at the same time calmly chatting to their stewards. He topped out shouting how he hoped we'd concede, abusing our fans, before some particularly looking tough guy tried to get at him.

I was pleased for the lad's safety when he got kicked out!

• @Cyclops I don't mind the ground being a "stone age dump". I do mind the fact that someone a foot shorter then my 6 ft 3 ins can't sit comfortably in their seat. I have to sit pretty much sideways, which could be embarassing if the ground is full

• @Malone Marshall's behaviour that day was truly bizarre - one of our more mature fans (Gasroom poster perhaps) had to be held back as he threw punch after punch from his seat in the second or third row. What on earth did Marshall say to him? All I know is the stewards wouldn't admit Marshall to the underground away bar.

• I think it was the repeated hope that we'd concede, and shouting how all our fans some sort of offenders, that pushed him to the brink. All this while not even pretending to watch the game, just facing our fans and trying to engage people in his strange behaviour.
    Then later on fb boasting about coke!

A very strange day's work!

• @OakwoodExile That is exactly what I mean about Kenilworth Road being a Stone Age dump. You have my sympathy - I'm not quite as tall as you and I cannot possibly sit down there. I suppose it won't be that long before I am so old that I can't stand up for ninety minutes either! The facilities for away fans at that place are probably worse than anywhere else we go, with the obvious exceptions of Accrington and Wimbledon.
    @Malone That cretin "Marshall" was certainly on form that day. He is, I understand, quite rightly banned from Adams Park (allegedly for getting arrested for gobbing at a policeman).

• Luton is an awful ground for sure, but at least you can generally see all of the pitch.
    Wimbledon has to be the worst view, the dugout blocking a fair bit out, and it being exceptionally hard to view down the line unless you're about 7 foot tall.

It's definitely a game i'd try and get a seat for, well, when they're not selling the 200 or so available to OAPs only!

• I stood behind the dug-out at Wimbledon undercover in the home end during a bore 0-0 draw towards the end of our play-off final season.

I got a great view of Peter Murphy calling the entire Wimbledon bench c***s but didn't see much of the football.

• I liked Peter Murphy. Total WUM. I remember seeing him getting Devitt ordered off for pushing him at Morecambe in October '14. Is it called "sledging" in football, or is that only in cricket? Whatever - PM was pretty good at it.

• edited April 2017

He was very good for us for a few months. Then Gaz seemed to realise we needed a bit more than some simple passing,heading and complex wumming for his £1,000 a week

• Peter Murphy's drop in form coincided directly with the departure of Paris Cowan-Hall. Losing his pace up front meant that teams could defend higher against us denying him the space he was exploiting during the first half of the season