Skip to content

Corinthian Casuals on the way back

Former Isthmian League whipping boys Corinthian Casuals are at last making signs of an upward move in the Non-League pyramid. Back in the 1960s & 70s Wycombe used to play them every season.

They mostly co-habited with Dulwich Hamlet but I do remember a match v Wycombe one year on the outfield of the Oval Cricket Ground. Now they have their own ground in Tolworth, Surrey. Tonight they won 4-3 at Greenwich Borough in the Semi-Final of the Ryman League South Play-Off.

In the other semi Dorking Wanderers beat Hastings United on penalties after the two teams drew 1-1 after extra-time. The final will now be played on Saturday at Dorking Wanderers ground in Westhumble for a place in the Premier Division.

On Thursday evening the Semi-Finals of the Premier Division Play-Offs take place with three old adversaries of Wycombe taking part. Bognor Regis Town host Wingate & Finchley while a capacity crowd will see Dulwich Hamlet take on Enfield Town for a place in next Monday's Final.

Comments

• The game at the Oval was a strange day. I seem to remember fairground rides at the side of the pitch. I assume we won, we always did in in the 70s. For me I hope CC and Dulwich make it through.

• I remember seeing the Wanderers play Corinthian Casuals at Tootings old Sandy Lane ground in the early to mid 70s, It was always a bit strange watching us play them as they never had any supporters even at home, wish them well in the final though.

• The Casuals were the opposition in 1947 when the deeds to Loakes Park were presented to the club:- http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/lprk1947.htm
    I was there and was struck by the odd socks which the Casuals players wore. Later I realised that they always did that but not when we met them at Highbury in the Amateur Cup semi-final.

• Whole new slant on casual dress! Blimey @wingnut you must be almost as ancient as me!

• @wingnut & @micra thanks guys. You suddenly make me feel a whole lot younger

• I was 14 when the deeds were handed over. There were probably more in attendance than usual but not by that much. Just look at the crowded stand and you get an idea of the support in those days.

• Thanks @wingnut. In the words of the song "you make me feel so young, you make me.feel as though spring has sprung." I wonder if you are the most senior person on the Gasroom?

• Mr Andrew T Ralston, Hon. Secretary and treasurer of the Isthmian League was a guest at the dinner. “The Isthmian League has never had cause to regret the fact that in 1921 they welcomed Wycombe Wanderers” said Mr Ralston. ”No club has done more to uphold the honour and prestige of the League, on and off the field”.

What a wonderful endorsement of our fine club.

• I keep meeting people who are a good deal older than me. It's not something to be obsessed about

• Wise words @wingnut but "a good deal older" suggests that those people are nonegenarians or thereabouts. I'd love to think that one or two tap away on the Gasroom but I hae me doots. There was a 90 year-old gentleman on First Dates recently so who knows!

• @micra And how was your date?

• @bill_stickers that sounds like a banner to me

• I do meet them but I don't think for a minute they frequent the Gas Room/Probably got better things to do...or have no computer>

• @HCblue - cheeky booger.