Skip to content

Sam Wood

Odd tweets from Sam over the weekend. This morning he has tweeted that he needs a nap after his workout.
So either he is injured and that works out relates to recovery or he is completely out of the squad.
If it's the latter that's really harsh. He's not been brilliant but he is certainly good enough to be in our 1st team squad.

Comments

• Saw him stood in the tunnel on Friday. Could all be totally innocent of course but I am getting more and more concerned by these player disappearances.
    WDH, Max Muller & Dayle Southwell were all missing on Friday with no news forthcoming.
    Hope Sam Wood is ok and it is all innocent stuff.

• Think he's worth keeping as he'll always give 100% and can play in 3/4 positions without complaining so it's a good squad man.

I'd be worried if he was a planned starter for next season though if we're serious about going up.

• edited April 2017

The lack of information that comes from the club Re players, injured or otherwise , is quite frankly dreadful

• Southwell said at the 500 dinner that he wasn't injured, just not selected on Friday.

• Im pretty sure as Wood is out of contract in June, he wont be offered anything new.
    We have Muller,WDH,Rowe and Southwell sitting on longer contracts who either look out of there depth at this level, or appear out of favour in Mr Ainsworths mind. Could be quite an interesting summer on attempting to manouver 'in and out' of contract players !!

• @Croider - On his recent performances, why should Southwell expect to be in the matchday squad?

• Could be possible that he's on a similar deal to Spring, i.e. If he plays again he gets an auto renewal.

• I think Sam will be on his way myself

• He's a good guy, and always gives his all. Last season though he just about clung on to get a new deal, and this season he's played less.

The only logical conclusion, is that it'll be a parting of the ways.
    I don't see how he'd fit in now bar as a squad member.

• Weird thing is, he was absolutely exceptional against Spurs, maybe his best ever performance for us, but he's hardly been seen since

• Always liked him: tries his guts out every time. But tend to agree that there may not a place for him next season.

• @mooneyman I'd have him in the 18 ahead of Jakubiak, even before his bottlejob showing on Friday.

• I never want to see Jakubiak in a Wycombe shirt again. His loan has been summed up by that one minute on Friday.

• Jakubiak has made ten appearances for Wycombe.

He has been in the starting line-up four times. All four of those matches ended in a loss for Wycombe.

He has come on as a substitute six times. Four of those matches ended in a loss for Wycombe, with the other two ending in draws.

I know simple statistics don't always tell the whole story, but these don't look good.

• He's shown some nice touches on the deck, but can't or won't put his head in where it hurts. The missed chance Friday was just the most obvious of headers he's ducked out of.

• He's looked bad every time I've seen him.

• Jacamo has been a bit of a disappointment

• I couldn't say he's been bad. I simply don't remember anything positive he's contributed to any games. He has been invisible to me and as such I'm not even sure I could tell you his name.
    Nominally he's a Premier League striker but I think he's the most ineffective and dissapointing loanee we've had in recent years. It's hard to imagine him having a future in the pro game.

Sam Wood on the other hand. This Watford guy could learn lots in terms of attitude.

• He did score early on didn't he? Maybe being an away game most of you lot missed it

(tiptoes out of thread)

• His goal was actually a superb finish, but before and after... lots of frustrating moments. Far preferred that Sellars bloke.

• His whole game is completely unsuited to our physical, largely aerial approach. He'll have to "man up" if he's going to make a career in the lower leagues for sure.

Away at Colchester he skinned the full back a couple of times and I remember him having a couple of decent efforts in other games when he's got the ball to feet.

• His goal against Exeter was actually a pretty good finish, but was it was more or less the only thing he did all game (although no-one was really bossing it that night). I agree that he seems to lack that extra bit of desire to do whatever it takes to get the ball in the net. I had the same issue with Aaron Holloway. Jakubiak(?) obviously has something about him to be playing for a PL club, but based on the little I've seen of him I'll be amazed if he's still playing professional football in five years time.

• @username, that is a key point to make. Just because a player doesn't fit our very specific way of playing, it doesn't make them useless as such.

But i doubt any club would tolerate the kind of bottle job for that header the other week.
    I'm sure a lot of us would have bottled it down the park, but that's the key difference, we're not pros, we have no idea how to go in for challenges without getting smashed

• On the subject of dodgy loan signings why is it anyone we get from Brentford is essentially 'first team ready' whilst those we get from Watford and Reading are by and large sinking without trace (Whichelow Jakubiak Liburd Savage etc) I am guessing we have contacts at these clubs who probably recommend players to us as good for loaning but whether it is our style of play that sees them flounder who knows!

• We took Senior from Brentford who was clearly way off what was needed, as some sort of patsy to get some better loanees.

The only other time i can remember us doing that was the winger who came alongside Rowe from Rotherham, who must have been thought so poor, that he wasn't even given one minute? (unless i missed a fleeting display)

• Seen Jakubiak a few times, including Crewe away (gasp) when he had a really weak touch that led to their first goal. he's got some pace but I've not seen anything to suggest he's got any kind of "it", Wycombe-style or otherwise.

• @Dickie said:
    On the subject of dodgy loan signings why is it anyone we get from Brentford is essentially 'first team ready' whilst those we get from Watford and Reading are by and large sinking without trace (Whichelow Jakubiak Liburd Savage etc) I am guessing we have contacts at these clubs who probably recommend players to us as good for loaning but whether it is our style of play that sees them flounder who knows!

Don't forget Villa, the Tommy Mooney contact gave us a couple of shockers, Millwall seems a happy hunting ground however.

• Nicky Walker, now playing at Boston United. Released by Rotherham after being sent on loan to both Wycombe and Grimsby without making a single appearance. Like Rowe, he has also spent time at Barrow.

"Nicky is an exciting attacking player with electric pace," said Wycombe boss Gareth Ainsworth.

"He's got a goal in him as well and I know he's looking forward to getting stuck in at League level.

• Nicky played with Southwell at Boston for a couple of seasons but left last year, now at Buxton in the Northern League.

Courtney Senior was 16 when we signed him on loan, and was never likely to make much impact. Col U signed him on a 2-year contract at the beginning of the season but he's been injured. Maybe he'll play against us next season...

Strangest one was season was Jermaine Udumaga, who looked like he might have something useful about him based on a few fleeting appearances. Looks like Brentford released him and he's ended up in Sweden.

• It's always quite shocking how players who managed to get onto the books of fairly high ranked clubs can bomb out so dramatically.

Certainly one to remember the next time a player leaves us for a higher level or higher wage.