Skip to content

Paul McCarthy - RIP

Comments

• Very sad news of a Wycombe legend. Me thoughts and condolences to his family and friends, RIP Macca.

• Very,Very sad news, a tough footballing centre half, loved watching him play. Met him and his family and friends from cork who used to come over in special t shirts in The Bell a couple of times. Just like Macca they were lovely humerous people who loved a touch of the black stuff.
    All in all a very sad for WWFC supporters and condolences to his family.

• Terrible news. One of our best centre-backs ever. He was real class. Such a shame at such a young age. RIP Paul.

• Does anyone else remember his outrageous handball on the line at Adams Park that resulted in a straight red but won us a point? Nil-nil vs Preston I think? That has to up there as one of my favourite Macca memories.

• What very sad news. Hope his family and friends will eventually be able to take some comfort from the respect and affection with which he is regarded by the fans. RIP Macca.

• This one hurts - loved Macca when I started supporting the blues sixteen years ago.

If he hadn't scored 'that' goal, I would never have gone to villa park for my first ever Wycombe game. I'd almost certainly have ended up watching him turn out for that mob in Headington.

• His 90th winner against QPR always comes to mind incredible scenes, I think it was an August Bank holiday game......RIP

• @floyd I remember not being able to breathe when that goal went in...for me the best moment in all my time supporting Wycombe since the mid 1980s

• RIP Paul, one of the legends of 2001

• Devastating news, Macca was one of my all-time favourites, he was THE hero of that FA Cup run, not just for his crucial goals but for his rock solid presence at the back. When backs were against the wall, you could always rely on Paul to stand firm, a very strong and brave player. His partnership with Jamie Bates was probably the best central defensive pairing for the club I have seen in 40 odd years. Very, very sad to go so early, I will never forget him. RIP Paul.

• 90th minute goal was in first game I took my son to watch. Sat in QPR end with QPR supporting family. Macca scores, son cheers. Never looked back from that day on. RIP Macca.

• great suggestion on Twitter by @Weegie to hold a tribute / legends game with Brighton in honour and memory of Macca. RIP

• @DJWYC14 said:
    great suggestion on Twitter by Weegie to hold a tribute / legends game with Brighton in honour and memory of Macca. RIP

Yes, just saw that. What an excellent idea. Could possibly be extended to include Ebbsfleet?

• Terrible news, all the more shocking due to his young age. As so many have already said, a hero at both ends of the field throughout the FA Cup run. McCarthy, Bates, Cousins, as solid a back line as you could ever wish for. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP Macca.

• edited February 2017

Re a tribute match...
    I was originally thinking of a straight Wycombe v Brighton preseason friendly with a legends game as the pre-game attraction (potentially a bigger crowd / more proceeds)... but if you went down the 'legends' route, you could really open it up... maybe with more teams in a 7-a-side comp? Potentially WWFC, Brighton, Oxford, Ebsfleet, Rockmount. Maybe pull in a favour from Saint Martin to bring an Ireland squad... I'm sure Roy Keane would be erm, keen, too.
    If you went with an FA Cup theme... you have Gareth's Wimbledon, Steve Guppy's Leicester, Paul Lambert is at Wolves, maybe some of the ex-Liverpool guys would do us a favour?
    All pie in the sky ideas admittedly, and maybe impractical, but I've forwarded idea to Matt Cecil so fingers crossed somethings can be arranged.

• RIP Macca.

The term gets overused these days but he's a true Wycombe legend.

Thanks for the memories Paul, you were one of the good guys.

• RIP Paul so sad to here this news ... you were a top man in that team and never will you be forgotten. ....

• Great idea Weegie. Let's try and lobby the club for a real tribute match for a genuine legend. All proceeds to the McCarthy family.

• Top stuff great idea ..

• Great idea Weegie, you could have all four teams doing a half each, Brighton V Ebbsfleet, us V Heading to.....

• Paul brought so many happy memories to all of us on the terrace . Really top player . So reliable . Desperately sad to hear the news . Best wishes to his friends and family . RIP Paul ..

• Not sure if it was the loss to ColU or Tonsillitis that caused the sleepless night, but I tried to put it to good use...

• I love it Weegie.

• That is sensational @Weegie

• That's superb @Weegie now that would be great as a huge banner before a home game. It would be a lovely tribute to a fantastic player.

• That's fantastic. A true Wycombe legend.

• I'd buy that T-shirt