Skip to content

Coventry Away in the other cup

Coventry Away in the other cup

Comments

• have we, or any other club ever had such a run of consecutive midweek aways!? Surely not.

• Winnable though.

• Hasn't their pitch been carved up by some rugby team?

• Will the semis be on sky?

• Did I read somewhere the semis might be televised?

• Someone did mention that Checkatrade were lobbying Sky to televise.

• It is a really super achievement getting through to this semi, irrespective of the issues regarding the U23 teams etc. Our club can further benefit financially from this competition, so maybe it is time to back the lads fully in this cup and get a real Chairboys army away at Coventry.

• I'd imagine they could be a very big crowd for this one. Must be a huge match for Coventry bearing in mind their plight at the moment. I'd love us to go up there and win, but if we were to lose, it would be infinitely preferable to going out to Oxford or Luton.

• Oh the irony of it. Living on Oxon border a final against Oxford would be a delight

• Even though less than a month away, seven games to play first - six in the league assuming Tottenham win on Saturday. Major challenge to a small squad.

See where we are when the day comes round.

• Didn't we lose 5-1 in this Cup a while ago?

• There will be 32000 Coventry I assure you, no success for 30 years, not even a top 6 finish. Like Crewe a few years ago there will be 32000 in for this and 50+ if we make it to Wembly

• Lets hope you are right. 32000 *say £15 * 45% = £216,000. take out expenses maybe £200k net. Would be very pleasant indeed.

• Keep Sunday 2 April free for the final...4.30pm at Wemberlee

• Do the clubs split the gate receipts less expenses in this cup? I'd have thought that would have led to a few payments from away teams for low crowds resulting in losses.

Sad to see the split of those focusing on the money and those focusing on being one game from a Wembley cup final.

Our fixture list is stupid at the moment. At home almost every Saturday with a midweek away game to balance it out. Price of success but how do we manage to get so few home cup draws recently?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Do the clubs split the gate receipts less expenses in this cup? I'd have thought that would have led to a few payments from away teams for low crowds resulting in losses.

Sad to see the split of those focusing on the money and those focusing on being one game from a Wembley cup final.

Our fixture list is stupid at the moment. At home almost every Saturday with a midweek away game to balance it out. Price of success but how do we manage to get so few home cup draws recently?

The only positives of this ridiculous cup are the money and form/giving squad players a run out.

Obviously now we're in it it'd be great to win, but I'd much prefer it didn't exist.

• Yes it splits although if not enough receipts to meet expenses, the home club incurs the full loss.

Priority is to win and get to Wembley - judgement on how strong a team to play will need to depend on league position and squad fitness at the time.

Additional bonus if big crowd for semi - loads of Wonga, no material effect on chance of winning.

• I'd imagine an away draw in the Checkatrade is a financial advantage - can't see gate receipts go far towards lighting, heating, stewarding, staffing, underused catering outlets etc.

• Wouldn't have thought marginal costs needed that many paying customers to recoup. Anyone fancy having a go at estimating..........

• I think everybody else considers such uneducated guesswork as completely pointless

• Righty....a "Wembley cup final"?

Behave son

• If we ban uneducated guesswork from a football fan forum, not sure there is going to be a lot left......

I am going to guess that breakeven point is reached at 712 adults, but I haven't bothered to make any vaguely informed guesstimate calculations to calculate it.

• @DevC Give it a rest.

• Not allowed to guess, it appears.

• Hang on. Why hasn't anyone picked up on this from @DevC ?

'Additional bonus if big crowd for semi - loads of Wonga, no material effect on chance of winning.'

Are you seriously telling me that having a full house at Coventry won't have any positive impact on the Coventry team compared to playing in front of 2 men and a dog? I would argue that one of the reasons of our success so far in this cup is that the small home crowds have a massive effect on the home team. Much easier to play away with no-one in the ground.

• Ill be going, in a selfish way the last 3 draws have been ok for me.

Not a fan of the cup either but find midweek games easier to get too.

• Col U game moved for it so just only three games until the semi (unless a cup replay happens).

• why are we being allowed to play it then ? It say week comencing 21st FEB

• 'Uneducated guesswork' would have been a good name for the new forum

• Sky's the limit, RMJ.