Skip to content

Any stats on goals scored when Holloway starts?

Let's start by saying I rate Holloway as a player. Great touch for a big man, produces power from nowhere when either foot and holds the ball up like no other in the current squad.
I'm just not sure though if his inclusion gives us the best chance of scoring goals. His best showings for me are coming on to help hold a lead. I know he scored chasing the game on Friday but we hardly built a great head of steam on his inclusion.
What are the stats on goals scored when he starts? Maybe my impression is wrong but I thought I'd share the impression anyway

Comments

• I'm not sure those stats would help in any case - one because there isn't a large enough sample size, and two because Ainsworth might only start him in games where we are less likely to score whether he plays or not (eg Burton).

I do see a logic in what you are saying. But I'd still rather have him in the side than Craig or McClure though.

• There were three strikers on that pitch monday and neither got one in . I think him and fred were great personaly.

• @Right_in_the_Middle, are you having a laugh, The Big guy got Chairboys seal of approval on BFP and Vital fans votes, unless Holloway has his family firmly glued to their keyboards.

The Gaffer said in his post match interview he was very happy with Holloway's shift and that he came off due to cramps and also the intensity the rest of lads put in.

Wouldn't be surprised your a McClure fanboi?

• @Ciderk1d I think you might be getting confused on what I'm talking about. I haven't got a problem with Holloway the player. I stated what I see as his assets at the top. What I'm saying is we don't seem to score as many goals when he starts matches. NoOnes come up with any stats to prove or disprove but that's my view. Maybe we play a different style. Maybe it's just the type of games he plays. It's not about the player but more about overall team production when he plays.

I do like Matt McClure as well. I think he's a goal scorer if he could get a run of games. To complete the game I see plenty in Craig as well.

• Give the guy a break jeez. They all do well in there own way lets support them rather than criticize.

• @StrongestTeam I count 10 starts and 5 team goals n those games.

I should say again this is nothing against Holloway the player. I just think we are much less likely to score goals when he's included in the starting line up. I have no idea why but maybe someone has a theory.

• I would imagine that the overriding factor in that stat is that of those 10 games Holloway has started, only 3 of those were with Paul Hayes starting as well - and we know that he is by far our most influential creative attacking outlet.

So I wouldn't say we're less likely to score goals when Holloway is included in the starting line up, more that we are less likely to score when Hayes isn't in it.

• Spot on Fidget

• Holloway looks a right handful and I would like to see him play the run in. Poor old Matt M has not had a great season and although he has an eye for goal his fitness and form have been an issue. He may do better in a less physical L1 as so many of the L2 centre backs are brutes (look at Taft at Burton).

• @kiscokid said:
    Holloway looks a right handful and I would like to see him play the run in. Poor old Matt M has not had a great season and although he has an eye for goal his fitness and form have been an issue. He may do better in a less physical L1 as so many of the L2 centre backs are brutes (look at Taft at Burton).

Or a more physical yet Conference South?