Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Why is Weston out? Not confident that Hayes and Bayo offer much together.

• Quietest I've ever heard a full away stand...

• Great goal from Bayo.

• Luton manager comments....what a tool he is . Hylton best player in league? Get a life ...possible the dirtiest and ugliest player In the league...no actually in all leagues

• Interesting comments from the managers re Hylton. Doyle believes that Hylton was targeted by the Wycombe players, but it was his kick out at Pierre early on in the game that seemed to start everything off. He was very fortunate to stay on today, not just for the kick, but for his persistant fouling. Pierre was also perhaps lucky to stay on for his foul on Hylton. I also thought it was rather ironic Doyle labelled us as very physical, as I really didn't think Luton were shy in that department themselves!

As for the game, Luton were comfortably the better side up until they scored, after that we finally started to play a bit with them sitting back and whilst the sending off certainly helped us, the quality of Saunders and especially Kashket who terrorised their defence in the closing stages also played a big part in turning the game in our favour. A good point today and things look very promising with with those 2 in our starting line up soon.

• I would not watch Hylton in any team I supported. The man is a disgrace to the game. One of the worst professional players I have seen

• I thought Luton were a horrible little team all round - niggly, overly physical and always looking for the foul; no wonder they've had 8 red cards already this season. Maybe if their 1,800 fans had got behind the team and sung a bit instead of complaining about every decision that went against them they might have spurred their team on to win.

Credit to the ref today who I thought did well in difficult circumstances.

And great credit to the team for coming back to get a draw. Great to see Kashket back on the pitch and almost nicking it for us. What do you reckon - start him and Saunders at Mansfield on Tuesday or rest them?

• It may make him spit out his tea but agree with @Wwfc2015_ about Nathan Jones comments. Hylton was a disgrace today and I hope gaz's warm comments don't mean he's on our radar!

• Saunders imperious when he came on, as for Hayes we did well to be holding them to 1-0 playing with, in effect 10 men, thought the ref was trying to even things up with the sending of!

• edited January 2017

Ainsworth is on record as trying to sign Hylton in the summer, but his wage demands were considerably out of our reach.

• @Wycombe85, who is Doyle?

• edited January 2017

@johnthehair and @Wendoverman , you probably won't be pleased to know we tried hard to get him in the summer! Thank goodness we got the beast instead.

It was like he ran a masterclass in cheating today.
    He should 100% have gone elbowing JJ in the face a metre from the linesman. The ref seemed to want to ask their captain if it was ok to send him off, got a no, so let him off.

Luton subbing him on 70mins smacked of knowing they'd been lucky.

On a negative though, Hayes looked completely out of sorts. Unless the ball is played to his feet under no pressure, he has no chance of getting after it, can't beat anyone, in fact barely tries to jump, and it's probably our main selection issue now - is it awkward that the captain doesn't come close to being in our best 11.

I thought for a long time Thommo was the limited one messing their "partnership" up last season, but I suspect it's actually the other way round.

• Hylton is horrible but GA would love him in the team.

Good point today I thought. Saunders and Kashket to start on Tuesday I would think.

• Will we risk Kashket in that cup?

I'd have thought more chance of most of the bench coming in, perhaps with just Blackman, the fullbacks, Onein or Gape,and maybe Hayes starting.

No way Hayes can start v Tottenham, so might as well play v Mansfield

• We want to win that game so yes Kashket and Saunders to start

• I think Saunders will play for match fitness.

• haha @Malone, I'm not sure who Doyle is myself and why I keep getting Nathan Jones mixed up with him!

Tough game for Hayes, he's more a creative player and it was a real battle today and we were very direct for the 1st 60mins of the match. The player for me who's really struggling for form is PCH, he really did look out of sorts today and spent far too much time on the floor arguing with the ref. He's a good player, no doubting, but he'll be struggling to earn himself a contract on current performances. Big game for him on Tuesday I feel.

• The Luton fans were as quiet as I've ever seen them. Not sure they have that much faith in their side. I thought they were the better side and were more physical in the challenge. Decent point in the end. Great cross again by JJ.

And then we get to the elephant in the room. Danny Hylton is a disgrace to his profession and men all over the world. No-one in any job anywhere should be able to get away with the behaviour we saw today (and time and time before). He targeted Pierre and JJ as sending off targets and made little attempt to play football. Every fall led to a protest to ref. Every Luton attack ended when he fell over. In the end though Luton had to take him off to stop him being sent off and this gave us the jolt we needed. That walk off the pitch was motivation for all the Wycombe players.

• edited January 2017

I wonder if we should consider loaning Paul Hayes out for the remainder of the season. He might fit in well at Eastleigh or another big-spending Conference team. Other than for loyalty's sake, I struggle to see any reason to keep him. This lack of form has now stretched for 18 months and, unlike with Sam Wood, I cannot spot any desire to turn it round or personal frustration with the way he plays. It's all rather dispiriting.

• Hayes is a superb player to have in the dressing room though. Grea around the young lads too I'm sure.

• edited January 2017

The problem is that Hayes is clearly a key part of the backroom scene. You could imagine he's being groomed to step up in role too.

That 2 year contract seemed a little risky last summer after a fairly middling and niggly season, and 6months into it, it's looking hard to see how he'll add value for the rest of the 18 months.

No chance of being first choice in our front 3 now, but I wonder if he should be ahead of Weston or Thommo? Or even Wood in his usual position

• Hayes is off form at the moment but I can't believe how disrespectful some supporters can be about dismissing him at a stroke. I think he's our next manager but I also think he's got to much class not to contribute before the season is out.

• If we ever signed Hilton I would not watch him. I love my footy but that guy as I said earlier the guy is a disgrace to his profession

• Is Hylton currently the biggest cheat in the league? Can't think of any player who's been worse - even Ellison.

• Yep. Hylton is a disgrace.

• Can't wait for the sour grapes from the Luton fans , about how bad the official were (tend to agree), how we bullied them, how we should have Pierre sent off and how Paris kept diving. If they were that good they would have been 2 or 3 up or be able to see out the game. They seem to think they have a god given right to win. Luton fans more than any other team annoy me.

As for cuthbert being really good today, I thought he struggled first half to handle the beast. Akinfenwa won more heads than he lost and kept possession although according to 3cr he was phonominal, mind you they have a bias towards Luton anyway.

• Paris ran him close for 20 mins today but Hayes had a word in his ear. Hylton is a massive cheat but for me it's the protests, attitude and arm waving that goes with every dive. I have never seen anyone perform their job with such contempt for the job and the other workers.

One more point. Thanks to the Luton fans for the behaviour around the minutes silence. I'd have lost a lot of money on their ability to observe it so doing so is much appreciated.

• Can see why Ainsworth would have tried to get Hylton in, his movement in and around the penalty area is superb - although I think Kashket is as good - and he scores goals. However, I would not want him playing for us. I have never ever wanted to see any player injured, but today came as close as I ever have to wishing someone would just take him out.

• The strange thing with Hylton though, is he's not actually that good as a target man for his height. Many times he'd mistime his jump, or it'd bounce over him, and he'd be quite easy to deal with. But clearly other aspects make up for these.

As for Hayes, I'm uncertain how @Right_in_the_Middle , can suggest there's been any turning against him on "a stroke", as if he's had a couple of average games.

The last half of last season with Thommo and Hayes was a complete attacking no show. I thought Thommo was the limited one in that combo, but i'd strongly suggest he's been the better of the two this.
    And he shouldn't be anywhere near our best lineup.

I wonder if Hayes can last 18months to step up to the backroom team.