Skip to content

Match day thread: Yeovil

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Penalty decision against Jombati looked poor at the time and even worse on the replay. I also think the decision to award us a pen looks dubious on second viewing.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/10729385/wycombe-1-1-yeovil

• I thought 1st wasn't a pen but as he gave the 1st he needed to give the 2nd..Very tired performance from the blues but understandable.
    Roll on Luton..hopefully a few days rest and we will see a better performance.

• case of two wrongs making it right ??

• Yes I reckon so...Realised he got it wrong so tried to rectify it..

• @fame_46 (and a few others). It wasn't that long ago (Chesterfield) that a front 3 of Bayo, Hayes and Kasket terrorised the defence pulling them all over the place and was probably our best attacking display for ages.

Does seem to be working okay with younger legs as a foil to the Bayo/Kashket axis at the moment but don't dismiss Hayes as a has-been yet

• He looks scared he might get hurt and tbh I think that is peoples issue, he needs to start putting himself about abit instead of ducking out of things.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    The Hayes vitriol was ludicrous today.

Considering how ineffective a large bunch of our lot were today, as soon as Hayes came on the arrows were primed in the bow.

Once, when the ball was leathered to him, and he had no-one in any good position to pass to, someone behind me as soon as he touched it, yelled 'argh, do something with it then Hayes!'. Proceeding to groan every time he has the ball.

Something that's bugged me ever since I've been a fan, is the terrace's need to make a striker a scapegoat.

Hayes has done a lot for the squad in the last few years he's been here, allegedly even occasionally picking the team, and he deserves more respect than he's getting at the moment.

I have never understood what any fan gets out of screaming abuse at their own players? I actively encourage all my team & in particular the ones whom may be having a mare on the day.
    Just wish people would think, "how would I feel if that was me on the receiving end? ". But then again, I often feel that most of the screamy shouty abusers are incapable of thought.

• Two excellent posts from @fame_46 .

• edited January 2017

If Hayes has on occasion been picking the team then I would really like to know why. But I hope when he's done it he's at least put more effort into it than we saw displayed from him on the pitch today. He was completely anonymous, blunting further an already misfiring strikeforce. I get replacing a tiring Akinfenwa with him but he simply doesn't have the legs or the desire to play the role of pacy frontman cutting in, running onto knock downs. I would've preferred to see Freeman on, or Thompson on the wing - who at least tries to do the running required from the role. Looking forward to the return of Kashket and Southwell, hopefully both in the near future.

Overall, today was pretty forgettable fare. I thought PCH was the standout player until he tired about 70 mins in. O'Nien's looping header and Akinfenwa's flicked header, both second half, were things of beauty but it was just one of those matches where neither keeper was particularly troubled. Roll on next week.

• I think it's pathetic the way a very small minority of the crowd constantly bully a player that is struggling for form, Sam Wood, Harriman and now Hayes have been on the receiving end of that particular method of encouragement this season judging from the run of results we have been on I think it's time they wake up and smell the roses.

• @aloysius said:
    he simply doesn't have the legs or the desire to play the role of pacy frontman

Hayes certainly isn't the quickest any more, but suggesting that this is because he doesn't want to be a pacy frontman seems pretty silly.

• @Morris_Ital Yes, but they go every week

• Hayes has certainly been amazing for our club but both he and Tomo seem to be struggling right now. Both started against Newport and Blackpool but did not take their chance to force a way into our front 3. As stated earlier, I think they are not going to find a way past Kashket, PCH and Bayo. Not forgetting that we have Weston also trying to force his way into the team.

• @Morris_Ital said:
    I think it's pathetic the way a very small minority of the crowd constantly bully a player that is struggling for form,

The problem is that some people only seem to see things in black or white, everything has to be one extreme or the other. Eg bigred87 claiming that yesterday was 'dogshit', and some muppet on Facebook claiming that Paris has been 'shit' for the last 10 games.
    Why can't it just be that a player was a bit off form, or had a tough game against a good opponent (Sido yesterday)? Why do they have to be 'shit'?

• @Fidget Because some people are utter cretins?

I think we're spoilt slightly on the Gasroom in that for the most part people debate in a sensible, civilised way. A quick read of the Facebook page is an unwelcome wake-up call.

• Abuse of your own players (and on line abuse for that matter) is a form of sanitised bullying by social inadequates. Sadly there is quite a bunch of them at the club at the moment.

On one level it seems odd for such abuse to exist at a time of wonderful results, but when you realise what it is and what purpose it serves, it makes more sense. Pathetic abuse from sad little people, desperate for approval from their equally sad mates.

As it happens, I sense the tide turning a little, maybe form is not quite as strong, one or two injuries, the power of my plasticy rectangle beginning to wane, I hope I am wrong but I sense that the next six weeks or so might be a little tough. Which no doubt would give the inadequates yet more ammunition for their need.

• I didn't hear any Wycombe fans abusing Wycombe players at Adams Park yesterday.

It's a shame that the actions of one or two people always get such attention when they clearly don't deserve it.

• @Onlooker said:
    Morris_Ital Yes, but they go every week

So do I (Frank Adams block M )

• I see that their penalty was "dubious on second viewing". How many viewings did the referee have?

• @Morris_Ital - not suggesting you don't but the types who do the abusing can often be heard singing "We go every week" perhaps in mitigation?

• It's in some Wycombe fans nature to moan. Chesterfield away we are 4 nil up and 3 blokes (all over 40) still giving Harriman abuse.

It lead to someone saying "only Wycombe fans could moan when you're 4 nil up"

• A small core of football supporters have always been prone to extreme overreactions. But everyone's got a platform now and you don't get noticed by being reasonable.

Years ago, if you wanted to complain in written form it was a letter to the editor of the local rag. And I doubt he would've published any of the angsty outpourings of the Facebook page (or even some of the overreactions on here). Now you can call anyone you want a load of shit etc at any time of the day and get a reaction.

• I was amazed and appalled at the shouts to Paris from the FA stand yesterday when he was down injured near the end. He might not have had his best game but the abuse really was uncalled for.

• Bizarrely, Paris got MOTM in today's Football League paper.

• That's a surprise. I thought Gape was the right choice pushed close by Bayo.

• Totally agree Wig and Pen. I felt so embarrassed to be sat near two (separate) blokes in Block Q shouting at Paris 'That's not very good is it Paris?', 'Get him off the pitch', 'I want to go home' and such like. Can't believe these people call themselves Wycombe fans - they sounded like they should've been in the away end.

• I thought Paris had a poor game myself, but only in that there was no end product he was putting himself about a bit. Gape was good and Bayo was as usual Bayo, quality touches despite being constantly wrestled. I know he's a big lad, but the referees ignoring blatant fouls are getting a bit comical. I thought Yeovil were good for a point and were unlucky not to score a couple more with some crosses across Blackman that just needed a touch. We've had a a lot of games and some big ones coming up but @bigred87 thinks a point against a tough team fighting for its life and keeping our unbeaten run constututes dogs***? What can you do?

• However well the team does will never be enough for some. I'm sure if we won all 46 games, some will complain that there were still xx games where we only scored one and xx games where we didn't keep a clean sheet!

• Changing the topic a little, I thought the referee did well with the Blackman incident. So many "men in black" would have chosen the easy red card option. Must admit, I was looking for Baz to start warming up. Very relieved to see the sensible option to a "handbags" moment.