Skip to content

Gape could be the difference in push for automatic promotion place

I really hope GA gets a new deal done for Gape. Gape adds balance to our midfield doing to hidden work, breaking up, tackling and laying the ball off to others. He will be a great loss if we are unable to get him back for the rest of the season. Bean or Rowe could probably do the job but not as well as young Gape. Our squad would be weakened without the young man. Come on GA do the business!

Comments

• He will (would, hopefully) be missed. But remember that he is older and more experienced than Danny Rowe, whose time may now have come.

• needs to be done by 12 noon today for him to play tomorrow. doubtful it seems.

• Yes extending Gape's loan would be the best outcome but if its not to be then its not to be, he's not our player and if Southampton don't want to the deal then so be it.

Of the three potential candidates that are not in the side currently - Rowe, Bean and McGinn - Danny would also be my first choice and it would be a big opportunity for him.

I do wonder though if Gareth might instead plump for playing Matt Bloomfield in the deeper role enabling him to keep Sam Wood in one of the more advanced pressing roles alongside Luke O'Nien.

Blooms played that position quite a number of times last season and is probably the most like for like replacement for Gape. It would certainly give us a very busy three man midfield which has been one of the hallmarks of our run of good form.

• Agree with that last para Theatre, Blooms with Beano to come in and see out the last 20 mins when he gets tired

• I agree that Wood staying in the team with Bloomfield dropping deeper would make most sense, can't remember the last time that Bean, Rowe or McGinn played 90 minutes?

• edited January 2017

Good things come to those who wait.

• Rowe to Barrow on loan for rest of the season.

• That's definitely a positive sign isn't it. Can't imagine Gareth sanctioning that without knowing that he'd secured Gape (or an alternative).

Still quite brave given Rowe also gives us cover at centre-half and also right-back (given Harriman's injury).

Maybe it was just felt to be in his best interests and better for WW in the long term.

• Maybe.

No evidence to back it up, but if things go well there, I doubt we'll see Rowe in a Wycombe shirt again.

• Presumably there's some sort of call back, just in case we see an injury crisis kick in?

I don't go as far as Dev C does, but I think he's really struggling to make it here. But I've always thought that, and thought 3 years was a surprisingly long deal.

• nope, if he's gone for rest of the season we can't recall him.

• I hope/believe Rowe has a future at Wycombe. A promising, versatile, hardworking player with a good attitude - ticks all the boxes for a GA player. May have to bide his time this season, but after some impressive performances since switching to midfield, I expect him to be a regular next season with no Gape keeping him out (plus I can't see Bean or McGinn being here next season either).

• Hear hear @Jonny_King . He's only just turned 21 for heaven's sake.

• Yes, he's still a young man. But when you first bring a player in at 17, and he's still nowhere near a regular by 21, it puts a different complexion on it surely?

• @Malone said:
    Yes, he's still a young man. But when you first bring a player in at 17, and he's still nowhere near a regular by 21, it puts a different complexion on it surely?

To put that in perspective, he was 18.5(!) when he arrived and only turned 21 a couple of months ago. He was ever-present for 15 games before his injury and, by the time he recovered, Luke O'Nien had recovered and (thankfully) has occupied that berth ever since.

• edited January 2017

The 15 games part really surprises me, as he just doesn't seem memorable. You're correct on the age though, i'd mis-remembered a year younger.

Clearly in the part of the season we weren't doing that well.

Not to for a second suggest it was even a large part down to Rowe!

Bloomfield has comfortably kept him out though. A player a large amount of fans would probably have labelled a squad filler.

• Gape and O'Nien have kept him out.

• Why them and not Bloomy, when he's played the defensive role at times.

• The problem for Rowe is that he hasn't got a defined position and has ended up purely as a utility player. Consequently, unless we have a number of injuries he isn't going to get a regular game.

I think this loan will be make or break for him. If he doesn't stand out in a Barrow side during the rest of this season, his prospects of playing regularly in the football league next season will be unlikely.

• His prospects for League football would be unlikely with US you mean mooney? I reckon he's good enough to do a job for a League club elsewhere given a run.

• @Malone said:
    Why them and not Bloomy, when he's played the defensive role at times.

Luke replaced him and Gape has occupied (brilliantly at Cheltenham) the defensive position that most think Rowe was lined up for.

• He didn't feature in Southampton under 23's match this afternoon which can only be good news.

• I hope Rowe isn't going anywhere in the long run. He is the kind of player that, if we let go, I fear could end up being one of the ones that got away.

• @bill_stickers said:
    I hope Rowe isn't going anywhere in the long run. He is the kind of player that, if we let go, I fear could end up being one of the ones that got away.

Definitely. He is the kind of character who will be a credit to whatever club he plays for both on and off the pitch.

• I was very excited when Danny Rowe signed permanently for us. I thought he would be that summers Aaron Pierre. Hasn't really worked out that way sadly for us and him. I am sure its not for the want of effort from both sides.

If things go well at Barrow, I suspect he will be there permanently next season. Who knows they may even be a League club again by then. Will he blossom there into a player we would love to have, maybe - sometimes that's just what happens.

Either way, wish him well for the rest of the season.

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2017

braywanderer
    1:32PM Flag
    Rowe to Barrow on loan for rest of the season.

That's a bit harsh. You'd be knackered by the time you got to London.

• edited January 2017

@micra, chin up son, he might still have a chance here.

• Please correct me if I'm wrong but Rowe hasn't once played central midfield alongside O'Nien. He hasn't featured in the new-look 433. I don't see how people can argue he has been given a chance to prove himself when he's only been able to feature in a tactically inept, bottom of the league side. And yet when he did play in that side, he always looked pretty assured. I don't think anyone would suggest it was his performances that left us despairing each week. I only hope he doesn't get too despondent by being sidelined for a loanee who has yet to secure many (any?) standout performances himself.

• @LX1 said:
    braywanderer
    1:32PM Flag
    Rowe to Barrow on loan for rest of the season.

That's a bit harsh. You'd be knackered by the time you got to London.

Nice of you to stick your oar in

• I once tried to row to Barrow with a small electric fire. I sank before I got to Marlow. Just goes to show..you can't have your kayak and heat it.