Skip to content

Transfer Window Dreams

edited January 2017 in Football

Not that I really care about the Sky Sports hype-bubble that fills everyone's miserable January, and far be it from me to breach the wave of good hope and optimism by daring to suggest our squad could be improved, but - with dreams tempered by slight realism - where do you think we need new players and who would you get?

Comments

• Sam Saunders. Please. One of my favourite ever Wycombe midfielders.

• Sam Saunders if Gape has gone. Doubt we can afford his wages though. A new CB if Pierre is going. Possibly another squad player but I'd like Freeman and Southwell to get a chance (can't see either of them in the starting 11 though).

• I'd like to see a couple of games with a fully fit Southwell alongside Akinfenwa and Kashket, I reckon that could quite the deadly trio. I'm still gutted Gape has left, hope we can land an exciting replacement

• Sam Saunders is a creative attacking midfielder. Not conspicuously a ball-winner and definitely not the man to replace Dominic Gape. His wages would be disproportionate and prohibitive, quite apart from any other considerations.

• Personally I don't think Saunders would fit into our current tactics. He played really well when we employed an anchor midfielder in front of the back 4 but the high-energy midfield 3 would not give him the time he would best be served with.
    It would be a shame if we changed to the detriment our current set up to accommodate a really good player and it went against us.

• Sam Saunders could definitely play where Bloomfield (and Wood) have been playing, and improve our quality without needing to change the system.

But we're never going to sign him. No matter how much I want us to.

• For me, both Bean and Rowe can do a decent job in the gaping Gape void (if he goes) - I've no problems with either of them coming back in again. Our league position/form should make it easier to get other players, even if only loan signings.

• Although Gape's distribution against Newport left little to be desired - brilliant at breaking up play, but continued to lump aimlessly into space - we seriously could do without having to rely on pinball-legs Bean in there.

• I would stick my neck out now and say, keep gape and pierre and sign saunders and we will finish in the Top 3

• @Chris said:
    Sam Saunders could definitely play where Bloomfield (and Wood) have been playing, and improve our quality without needing to change the system.

But we're never going to sign him. No matter how much I want us to.

I tend to agree @Chris but considering how fit, industrious and generally impressive Matt Bloomfield has been all season (and how superbly Sammy Wood played on Monday) I think Sam Saunders would be an expensive and potentially disruptive signing - not, I hasten to add, that he is himself disruptive but because if it ain't broke..........

• @rmjlondon said:
    I would stick my neck out now and say, keep gape and pierre and sign saunders and we will finish in the Top 3

A bold and interesting assertion based on unknown and unlikely hypotheses!

• well its likely we will keep pierre as no benefit in selling now for 50k

• @rmjlondon said:
    well its likely we will keep pierre as no benefit in selling now for 50k

One down. Let's see how that and the other hypotheses pan out.

• it all revolves around Bayo staying fit aswell as Hayes aint upto it currently.

• @rmjlondon - agreed, Hayes seems a bit stockier than previous seasons. Not fat, rather it looks like he's been on Akinfenwa's upper body work-out programme. Hasn't helped his mobility much though... a couple of injuries could prove challenging, although confidence is clearly sky-high on the pitch currently.

• I saw a shock of white hair leaving the Directors Box which someone told me was Mark Hughes (is he a Newport fan?) and definately walked past David Pleat. Stoke and Luton on the spy do we think?

• Might be wrong, but doesn't Hughes have an abode in Beaconsfield/Chalfont region?

• Pleat works for Tottenham, not Luton I understand.

Hard to believe Hughes does his own scouting, or that as a proud Welshman, he was desperate to watch Newport (he hails from the North of wales I believe).

Just about credible that Pleat was watching Blackman I suppose, although feels a bit of a stretch. Don't think Pierre is likely to go straight to the premiership. Not aware Newport have any budding stars. Feels unlikely tbh.

• @rmjlondon said:
    it all revolves around Bayo staying fit aswell as Hayes aint upto it currently.

You might as well run through the whole squad while you're at it.

• @DevC Well Pleat would have had a hard time watching Blackman unless it was in the prawn sandwich boxes doing the meet and greet? Brown played in goal against Newport.

• Good point. Often wondered what scouts do when the player they intend to watch doesn't actually play on the day? Still watch just in case there is an unknown gem or bunk off early?

• They look often leave at half time even when they are playing.