Skip to content

Dave Tarpey Maidenhead United

Comments

• @micra We have Dayle Southwell waiting in the wings as well, who may well prove to be quite prolific once fitness is regained, so maybe he can fill the "one other player who will score a dozen or more goals a season".

• Tap let probably has a day job as well so would have to take a wage cut to play on our budget , as for Southwell the step up to league football is exponential as his lack of goal scoring demonstrated.

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Tap let probably has a day job as well so would have to take a wage cut to play on our budget , as for Southwell the step up to league football is exponential as his lack of goal scoring demonstrated.

Predictive txt! Tarpley, although Tap let works well for that flick he made over his shoulder for the goal!

• @perfidious_albion Wasn't Southwell playing with an injury at the beginning of the season? Might explain his lack of goal scoring, although there appeared nothing wrong with his hold up/link up with the rest of the team. Kashket is a totally different type of forward to Southwell. At the minute I am happy with the various options we have up front.

• @micra I was under the imprecision the lad commanded a transfer fee?? Am i incorrect here? I may be, but that's the why I made that point.

• You can see all four of his goals here...

• Maidenhead are looking very strong for promotion this season.

Unless there was an attractive fee, why would they let him go mid-season.

Other league clubs are reportedly interested.

WWFC have limited funds and regardless have Akinfenwa, Hayes, Weston, Kashket plus possibly PCH backed up by Freeman, Southwell and Wood competing for three positions.

Even if miraculously we found the cash to pay a transfer fee for a player, hard to see why we would target this area of the pitch? Just because he plays for the club up the road doesn't mean he would want to join us.

• @DevC why would it very miraculous if we found the transfer funds? Isn't that what the 500 club was set up for?

• Ignore Dev he knows nothing about our club and how it's run.

• Tis the season of goodwill to all, Mr Robin, so I'll ignore your personal attack and put it down to you being a little tired after the endless modelling assignments you must have to do this time of year..... When you have something constructive to say, I'll be happy to respond in kind.

Ewan: call me a cynical old b*gger if you wish but I see the 500 club as a useful marketing exercise to tap up supporters for more cash. The funds will go into the general pot and be used accordingly. it can be spun that the funds have specifically paid for Kashket salary or Blackman, or PCH or Gape etc etc. I very much doubt they will be used to pay a transfer fee. Personally I would prefer that any excess cash (including hopefully a FA Cup Rd 3 winners bonus) would be used to keep these players rather than a wild punt on a 28 year old Conference South player having his annus mirabilis.

• It would indeed be miraculous but I'd be amazed if he was actually under any form of long term contract from MU in the first place.

Transfer fee is unlikely to be an issue, more the fact that we'd have to offer enough in wages to beat his current part time salary AND his day job salary combined. It would also need to be more than a one year 'see how it goes' type deal, as he'd be giving up whatever he does now to join.

So in conclusion, if he currently stacks shelves full time and plays for MU, we'd have a chance, but if he has a long term career which he'd need to give up, then we'd have to offer enough to cover this and at least a 2-3 year deal.

• Presumably Tarpey isn't employed full time at Maidenhead? If not, does anyone know what he does for a job outside of football, because if he earns a fair whack doing something else, he probably won't want to sign for a lower league club paying relatively low wages. The semi-professional and amateur game is full of players good enough for League 2 who choose to earn a higher wage elsewhere and play for fun.

• @DevC I don't know why, but you are coming across as a right cynical old git on this issue. It had been stated enough times from the officials of the club, that this money has been effectively ring fenced for the purpose of spending on the squad. So why you choose to, as good as say t"he club are telling porkies", on this one is beyond me.
    I see no reason to doubt their word unless you have evidence otherwise?

• Actually not sure about that.

Most who are good at football have dreamt since a lad of making it as a pro. Obviously depends on personal circumstances, but I suspect many would take a pay cut overall to "dream the dream". He has plenty of time after he retires to return to his previous job.

If age, position, experience and lack of finances are not sufficient reason to pass on this one, I have one more surely clinching reason - that haircut. http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/maidenheadunited/teams/6424/player/dave-tarpey-1249790

• Very good goal top stuff ..

• This is really a pointless discussion. The only way you could ascertain whether Tarpey is up to league standard would be to give him a run of games as we have no reserve side. Could you really omit Kashket, the Beast, Cowan-Hall and Hayes to find out, bearing in mind our current league position.

If he leaves Maidenhead, Tarpey will sign for the likes of Luton, Pompey, or Oxford who have plenty of cash to flash around.

• edited December 2016

Unless anyone knows what Tarpey's on, what his full time job is, what his contract length is, why he hasn't played higher before (choice, lack of opportunity, late bloomer), what money we can pay, and what his ties are to this area (if many), then it's pure guesswork.

With that 50k pot from the 500 club, and a potential 67.5k if we win v Stourbridge, there's likely to be scope to do something in January. Most likely it'll concern Paris and Blackman.
    However, then you also have the Pierre situation, so it's interesting all round.

Gut feel is that we won't even go for Tarpey, as 26 league goals by December won't exactly have gone unnoticed by a lot of clubs.

• This thread is totally based on assumptions and opinions he might not even be interested in moving to a higher level big fish in a small pond and all that. I would rather spend the money on a CB

• In all probability, he's on the equivalent of a weekly contract at Maidenhead. If we or Luton or Man Utd wanted him and he wanted to go, he would be able to leave and sign with us/them.

@DevC would you leave a 'normal' job you've worked your way up in, earning £2000-3000 a month, with a mortgage one kids, to sign a one year league two contract at £300 a week and no certainty for the next year? We don't know his exact circumstances but I personally know 3 non league players who have been offered similar deals to the one I just mentioned, one at Crawley and two at Aldershot, a number of years ago, and it's just not made financial sense, especially with promising careers outside of football.

Of course it's possible, anything is, but I'm pretty sure it would be more likely were a team capable of offering £2500/month for 2 years. It shouldn't even be in question whether he's 'good enough' for league two imo.

• Well Attitude, as I said it would depend on personal circumstances. Does he have a wife, does she work, what does she earn, does he have a kid, how marketable is his day job skill, how easy would it be to get another job if football failed, would his current company even give him a sabbatical, how much and deeply is being a professional footballer his dream.
    If it was my son and I knew he really wanted it, my strong advice to him would be that if he could possibly make the finances work, then he should give it a go. This is likely to be his last opportunity to achieve his dream. If he says no, he will always wonder whether he could have made it. Money isn't everything. Dream the dream son. If I could afford it, I might even give him a little advance on his future inheritance to make it work.

• He looks worth going to see play. I went to the pre season friendly and had a great time so will make the effort to get down there again before he is snapped up.

• £2,500 a month?

Forgive me if I'm way off the mark, but even with our financial situation I'd expect our senior pros to be on double that, and most of the squad to be on around that. Haven't we had players on that a week (or near enough in the past?)

I know he's unproven at league level, but he's only two leagues down and is absolutely tearing it up so if PCH isn't coming in January then I'd definitely make enquiries.

• A shout out to whoever has been singing his praises for well over a year on here. Good spot. Which also suggests his talents haven't suddenly emerged from nowhere, which probably does mean he previously didn't have the desire/drive/intent to want to be 'just' a footballer although of course he may have that ambition now. But at 28 it would be a major risk if he does want to try his luck as a professional footballer. There have been plenty of really good players over the years who have opted to play at a lower level than their talents deserved for good, sound reasons. We had our fair share in out non league days.
    But good luck to him wherever/whatever he wants to do - it won't be with us though that's for sure.
    I hope the Maidenhead fans are enjoying watching him though

• @Username you are well wide of the mark. None of our players are on anywhere close to £2,500 a week.

• Didn't say we have anyone on £2,500 a week now, just that we may have in the past...

I said I'd expect our top earners to be on £5k a month

• Sorry can't read.

• According to a recent survey the AVERAGE wage for a second division footballer is around £40,000 a year but jumps to £70,000 a year in league 2. A bit worrying for our finances if we got promotion!

• @AttitudeEra , do you really think tier 6 is as casual as weekly contracts!?

Do you really think someone higher wouldn't have pounced and eased him out for free if that was the case!!

He's on a proper contract. I can't remember what my Maidenhead mate said, but i think it has 18months to run now.

• @Midlander , i'm not sure what our bonus structure is like to be honest, but i've heard the wage figures bandied around for our top earning strikers, and i wonder if they scored a couple, we won, and we were top 3 of the table whether they would be too far from the figure you mention.
    I suppose it also depends on how you define "anywhere close to"

• Either there are some excellent non league financial experts on here or lots of speculation and guesswork.
    My guess is that if Tarpey wants a shot at league football he'll go for a club capable of giving a higher wage than us but I wonder if he's actually that bothered about making the jump. Some are quite happy part time or like being a big fish in a smaller pond.