Skip to content

Ainsworth on Pierre

2»

Comments

• I think a few of you are being a bit short termist here on Danny Rowe, who I maintain is a better, more versatile and more deserving prospect than Dominic Gape.

On the economics, we've signed Rowe on a three year contract. If we don't let him develop in the first team we're basically writing down a significant asset and having to spend even more to replace him (I'm assuming we're covering Game's wages). We're also, as this thread started off by illustrating, a selling club. How are we going to make a return on our asset by selling him on if we don't develop his skills and then display them in the shop window?

But far more important than the economics are footballing reasons. Rowe is a good player, has always played well for us and seems like a model professional. He deserves to show what he can do. He also has the skill set to complement O'Nien, breaking up play, getting the ball to others, spotting an opportunity, allowing Luke to be more creative or play box-to-box. I bet they could form a fanatic partnership together but - correct me if I'm wrong - I don't think they've ever once started together in central midfield.

Both are young players here on long term contracts. It's a crying shame not to let them develop a partnership together that could pay both footballing and economic dividends for years to come.

• I'm with @Vincey I have high hopes for Rowell. Has been unlucky with injuries &;let's not forget, Gape was brought in originally because of injury to Rowell. Gapes' performances have been, on the whole excellent and have contributed massively to our current good run of form.

• Will be interesting to see what the first solution is if Pierre does go soon.

De Havilland has to be the favourite, but you have Muller, Rowe, Jombati as options.

I'm hoping Muller emerges as a terrific prospect personally.

• Not quite sure who Rowell is???

Seems fairly self-evident to me - we have just won seven in a row. I'd be doing all I can to keep the same team available for as long as possible. Rowe, when fit will get a chance, up to him to grab it, force his way into the team and push one of the others onto the bench on merit.

Pierre leaving would leave a big hole in more ways than one. Personally not sure Muller is ready to step straight in having been injured all season. I'd expect a loanee to come in.

• I'd think Muller would be more competent than De Havilland but not sure how long it will take him to get up and running fitness wise.

• I've got a suspicion that Muller is the intended Pierre replacement.

• Rowe has been consistently excellent when he's been called upon and across many different roles.

He tamed the Beast playing in front of Stewart and Pierre last season IIRC.

He's comfortable on the ball and despite his lack of games, always positively and without fear.

If like to see him get a run of games as I think he'll kick on when he does.

• I think Muller must be the intended replacement. GA has a great record for finding gems so hopefully no different. Fitness could be an issue this season mind.

• Hayes did say " we can't believe we've got him", about Muller early season when reviewing the pre season signings.

Nowhere near as strong in his comments about the others, so I hope he has real potential.

• If Danny Rowe had come through a wwfc youth set up, played a a fair number of first team games from age 18 and then found himself in current position age 21 (?) would anyone be so critical?

I think he has played well to date and has a positive future ahead.

• Not sure people are being critical as such, it's just that has hasn't secured a set position yet, and this is the 4th different season he's featured in for us now.
    It's not a limitless career, he needs to establish himself.

• The only players in our squad younger than him are Freeman and Kashket, he's got plenty of time to develop. In most other clubs he wouldn't have had the game time he has at Wycombe by this point in his career.

• @Vincey said:
    I think that Danny Rowe is a far better player than is being made out on here. His performance at Fratton Park last April was awesome and showed that he's got potential to be a Michael Carrick style centre mid. He's still very young and i for one hope that he gets an oppurtunity to stake a regular claim. His problem has been staying fit for a run of games and additionally the arrival of Gape has not strengthend his case. That said how refreshing to be talking about such strength in deep in a Wanderers squad,it's been a long time.

Totally agree @Vincey. Danny was unlucky to pick up a knock at Doncaster (when he was unable to continue after half time) and it would appear that the injury was worse than first thought as I think I am right in saying that he has not made the bench in the meantime. The subsequent switch to 4-3-3 will clearly make it harder for him to regain his place.

• I think Rowe has looked superb since switching to midfield - a lot more comfortable there than the handful of games he played filling in in defence last season. He's a handy 'emergency defender' should we need one, but I think he has found his position as a holding midfielder.

He might not get a huge amount of game time this season if Gape extends his loan, but next season, or if Gape leaves in January, I would expect him to be a regular starter.

I think he has a very bright future.

• Anyone hearing rumours on Pierre? I have been informed by my mates son Sam that's it's a done deal in January to Leeds..also no Pierre in 2017 calendars..strange one as I think most regard him as an important player for wwfc and not a loanee.

• That would probably be a really good move for him. Shame if true but he can certainly hold his head up high when he departs

• I'm quite worried that Muller isn't on the bench. He was running very gingerly at Millwall. I hope he hasn't aggravated his injury because if Pierre does leave in early Jan we're going to need Muller in the team pretty sharpish.

• Sounds like a cast iron certainty if it's come from Sam.

I'd have thought it would be the club pushing the January move as I'd have thought Pierre would be happy becoming a free agent. He could play at the highest level if he works hard

• Can't knock a titbit from a guy on internet's pal's son Sam!

• Lol..thought I would post it as we joked "he better not had made it up"!

• Just read Birmingham wolves and Barnsley are interested at certain parts of the year..would dismiss Birmingham now as they have parted company with their manager.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.