Skip to content

Westley has problems again.

I see from the BBC that Graham Westley is having problems with staff at Newport. This man does have a history with work relationships.

Comments

• Oh dear, how sad! Wish I could say "it ain't 'alf 'ot mum".

• Not really a shock. Another who amazingly keeps getting work

• Has he sent any text messages yet?

• Didn't realise he used to play for Wycombe (albeit for only one or two seasons). Even cost us a transfer fee.

• He was a totaly greedy selfish striker, my overbearing memory of him was constantly getting on a low on confidence Rowan Dodds back at Cheltenham away. A thoroughly dislikeable individual. We paid a then record fee of £8500 for Westley, which broke the reported £6000 combined fee for Noel Ashford and Keith Barratt just over 12 months previous.
    We managed to offload him to Kingstonian for a nominal fee before long, and then the walking ego havenumerous short and not over productive spells at many non league clubs in the south of England.
    You dont have to reserach too hard to discover Westley is no friend to football on oe off the pitch.

• Cheers for that Chas.

• I only vaguely remember him. My dad said he was a useful player, but there was just something about him made you think that he wasn't a nice guy.

• I remember him having a couple of decent games early (whilst on loan?) but faded away after that.
    It's incredible how bad his reputation is in the game but how often he manages to get a new job. Just shows how poor the average chairmans knowledge and interview technique is.
    No-one has really even discussed the style of football his teams normally play.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I remember him having a couple of decent games early (whilst on loan?) but faded away after that.
    It's incredible how bad his reputation is in the game but how often he manages to get a new job. Just shows how poor the average chairmans knowledge and interview technique is.
    No-one has really even discussed the style of football his teams normally play.

It's a results based business, essentially he is seen as a fire fighter. I would imagine that's the way club chairmen come to employ him?
    What most seem to forget is that a football club is a mini community and "getting on" with everyone is also a skill that is required. That's why the likes of Alan Pardew quickly get moved out when results start going against hi's teams. Such a difficult bloke to get along with, he is tolerated until it goes.pear shaped then given little or no time to put it right. I believe Westley is the same.
    For me another reason that Ainsworth is so under rated by many fans.

• agreed @EwanHoosaami . Apart from a gentle "will be reminding people of a few things" comment from Ainsworth about when we started climbing the table a few months ago, he's been pure PR from start to finish. Only a spat with that Plymouth a hole of a manager where he's lost it.

• Did he sign under Suddaby? If my memory is right I seem to remember he played early on in a really gutsy performance at Enfield? (We lost 3-2 I think but we'd been stuffed by them 5-1 (?) at home a few weeks earlier. That was the first uplifting performance for weeks)

• I had forgotten that he played for us. I remember being quite excited when he joined then quite quickly disliking him intensely.
    Anyway just in case you needed reminding this morning he was still a total tw@t here's a treat
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38198336

• Horrible man, but also sounds like Adams being typically precious as well. I think I'm right in saying that Chris Errington is the same local hack who has written a number of less than flattering articles about Wycombe since our win there last season and is apparently struggling to let it go.

• I despise this man beyond normal reason. In this instance though I feel he has a point. Imagine if it was GA. Invited by a Plymouth official /press officer to come and speak to the press. On arrival Derek Adams is still giving his post match views, so he politely waits his turn. Adams then spots him & storms off in a huff. Gareth is invited to leave and he does. Then a local journalist try to make a mountain out of a molehill. Westley gave his account and the journalist keeps prodding, what's the story. This is of course assuming it is an accurate account. Given the abrasive nature of Westleys' past, I just wonder if there was something else said? That said, Adams may be of a similar character given how he managed to get under Gareths' skin last season.

• Agreed, basically a trio of bellends all winding each other up.

• Not keen on Westley, as per most of us, but that clip sounds more like the interviewer is trying to be an idiot. Making something out of nothing.

As for Adams, to get such a ferocious reaction out of Gaz, who is the absolute definition of PR and niceties, I think that says it all.

• I absolutely despise derek Adams what a despicable man

• With Westley all the way on this one