Skip to content

The Opposition View - Newport

Comments

• So the crowd last night made the referee go against them? Great effort by the two thousand in the ground. Westley is a quote machine isn't he?

'....because if you win one and lose one you end up with three points and that's better than two draws.'

Thanks for that.

• Similar to the utter drivel he came out with when he was appointed Peterborough manager a few days ago, as I recall.

• Some interesting comments there. They clearly can't agree whether we are a good side or the worst they've seen all season, but we've struggled with that one for much of the season ourselves.

I'd be disappointed if the ref was really as bad as they say even accepting their obvious and inevitable bias. I thought when we saw him at the Crewe game that he showed promise for someone in his first League season, a bit of perspective and a willingness not to be picky and to let the game flow a bit.

• Love him. 100% record so far.

• There is that, of course, @micra !

• Let's be honest. Two teams managed by Westley and Ainsworth is always going to be a horrible game for any referee. Add the state of the pitch in to that too and I don't envy the bloke at all.

• Think we were a little lucky that Marcus Bean didn't get a second yellow and with the penalty appeal against Aaron Pierre - still, we've had plenty of other decisions go against us and the old cliche of the things evening up over the season applies. Great resilience shown by the blues.

• "Wycombe`s strengths  were they got men back quickly and squashed a lot of the enterprise County offered. They worked hard to close down and did well in transition from defence to attack. Their weaknesses were they got stretched at times and their full backs left holes which better sides would have punished. Centre backs were erratic with clearances when pressed."

This is an interesting comment. Reading into what was not said, there was nought about our attacking prowless and in truth our goals of late have come from the defense (bar the converted penalty won by Pierre) and a resurgent Bloomer. Yhe big boot out from the back is so we don't get caught out but what is the plan for the front line actually scoring a goal from open play like the second against Morcombe? I see we are trying to shoot but the front men need to hit the target more.

Hey ho, six points in the bag and a sniff at the play-offs. Roll on Saturday!

• @micra Ever heard of irony? More clubs than Jack Nicklaus, and all that. He'll probably back at his Stevenage spiritual home within the year.

• Can't fathom why so many people are unable to spell Morecambe. Unless of course they are too young to remember the wonderful Eric of that ilk.
    I'm just being grumpy because I had to leave the Morcombe game 10 minutes early and missed the Luke O'Nien worldie.

• edited November 2016

@Right_in_the_Middle , clearly you weren't at the game last night, hence your incredibly lazy assumption about a Westley team!
    They weren't very Westley like at all, apart from one goon defender. They had a number of young tricky players, that we had to keep a real eye on, including a Swansea loanee.
    Clearly he hasn't had the time to mould them in his own image just yet,

• @micra Really! You would expect better of Wycambe supporters wouldn't you?

• @NorsQuarters you can't have it both ways - if Pierre is to get credit for the penalty he "won" at Cambridge then Kashket should get equal credit for Jombati's goal last night. And the corners from which goals are scored probably come more often than not from "open play" from our forwards.

• @Cyclops said:
    micra Really! You would expect better of Wycambe supporters wouldn't you?

I wood.

• Makes a change that we had some positive comments about us. I feel that a majority of opposing fans jump on the bandwagon in regards to our so called cynicism.

• Winning 5-0 every week would get boring after a while.

• @Cyclops said:
    micra Ever heard of irony? More clubs than Jack Nicklaus, and all that. He'll probably back at his Stevenage spiritual home within the year.

Very strange irony. I just assumed you were losing your marbles when you referred to Westley being appointed Peterborough manager "a few days ago".
    You're better than that.

• @StrongestTeam Excellent post. On our day, with all - or at least the majority - of our best players fully fit, we are capable of playing really good football and many teams in this division seem to underestimate what we can do, which is a good thing.

I hate the cynical side to our game and I think we overdo it at times, but at the same time I recognise that you have to do the ugly stuff in this division and all the best/most successful teams do. It's funny that some of the teams who have whinged loudest about our style of play over the past few seasons, such as Plymouth, Northampton, Oxford, Luton and Stevenage have done exactly the same thing to us in recent years. Yes, we need skill and attacking incisiveness in our team, but we need a couple of evil bastards too, or, as we saw under John Gorman and occasionally under Waddock, you can try and play nice football, but if you don't have height and strength in your team, you will get bullied off the park. Just look at Exeter.

• @Jonny_King : Excellent post.

• I have looked at the replay of the "certain Newport penalty" and, am I the only one to see that there is seems to be NO contact between Pierre and if anything their player deliberately dives and brings down Pierre? Their player should have been booked or even sent off!

• I thought it looked a bit contact-less. The moment waiting for Sido's free kick where their player throws Woody out of the way so Bayo swaps places with a 'Try that on me' face is pure comedy!

• @Lacey It was difficult to tell on the night, given the distance from the away end that it happened, but my immediate thought on watching the video was the same as yours: the attacker appears deliberately to jump to the left in front of Pierre and fall to the ground, tripping Pierre in the process. Yes, Pierre probably had placed his hand on the guy's arm, but it doesn't look enough to knock him off balance.

It's a tactic employed with frequent success by Danny Hylton - see, for example, him throwing himself to the floor in front of Will De Havilland earlier this season: - but I think the referee got it right on Tuesday.

• On another note, all that De Havilland should start over Pierre nonsense has long died down hasn't it!

• @Lacey said:
    I have looked at the replay of the "certain Newport penalty" and, am I the only one to see that there is seems to be NO contact between Pierre and if anything their player deliberately dives and brings down Pierre? Their player should have been booked or even sent off!

Correct decision I've slowed down the footage watched it over and over Pierre didn't touch him.

• I was of the exact same opinion. Watched it over and over, definitely the forward threw himself to the left and caught Pierre. Should have carded the forward.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I was of the exact same opinion. Watched it over and over, definitely the forward threw himself to the left and caught Pierre. Should have carded.

And they called us cheats. On more than one occasion Stewart was having his shirt and shorts pulled, and studs raked down the back of his leg ref either didn't see it or gave it other way. Stewart is playing really well at the moment class act.

• @Wig_and_Pen only if you equate a penalty to a freekick with wall from ___ yards out. To all: my apoloogies for the miss spelling of Morecambe

• Iv seen most of our games this season and I think the time wasting has disappeared tbh apart from jj crawling over to take corr

• corners. As for cheating I'm not sure what others see, there's much worse teams