Skip to content

Clubs fined for abusing the tinpot trophy rules

Comments

• Fined for playing youngsters in a competition claiming to help develop youngsters. This in the same week that England U21s start nine players who made their professional debuts in the Football League. Lunacy.

• Where does the revenue from the fines go? Probably shared out to the Premier League clubs!

• Fines will be used to either (a) fund a consultants report into how best to get B teams into the leagues without calling them B teams, or (b) part pay Shaun Harvey's next bonus

• Absolutely right that they got fined. Not that difficult to meet rules. Why should teams that flout the rules get a competitive advantage. Should add it to prize money for those who followed the rules.

• The rules are bollocks and unfair though. Why can Premier/Championship teams play as many youngsters as they want, but the rest of us can't?

• Whether the rules are good or fair is not the point though - you can't just break rules to 'make a point' and then not be sanctioned for it.

It would be the equivalent of us fielding a player who was unfairly dismissed in the last match and expecting not to receive a fine/points deduction.

• I think the premier league team wanted the benefit of giving their youngsters the experience of playing against men. Hence why they had to play a certain number of U21s. If they were able to play a full team of U23/senior players the L1 & 2 teams would probably struggle. Plus there was lots of scope to blood youngsters. I believe you would have been free to play six U21s who had not played in the 1st team before. If we could abide by the rules with our small squad I cant see why Portsmouth and Luton couldn't. And to see clubs who have been in administration frittering away money like this seems a tad profligate.

One final point I think the competition is actually quite good for us. Giving Gazza the chance to have a look at some of the fringe players. And with no reserve team I'm sure the likes of Freeman etc relish the chance to start a game.

• @StrongestTeam said:
    And can people stop calling Ainsworth Gazza. Thanks

Apologies....just slightlying easier to type on phone

• Try GA.

• The fact it's `one rule for them and another for us' makes any breaking of the rules justified as @StrongestTeam says. It's not Luton and Pompey who have made a mockery of this competition.

• The rules are basically there i guess to make sure L2 & L1 sides play teams that are not too weak. As far as I'm aware they're pretty much as last year. Different rules for prem teams to make sure it's competitive and wouldn't look great if the final was between 2 prem/champ sides. Looks like Luton and Portsmouth are just breaking the rules to get a competitive edge in the league. Having said all this I'm not saying the rules/inclusion of prem teams shouldn't be looked at.

• I've got an idea. How about the FL actually make the prize money worth winning (as I understand it is now, particularly for clubs with unthinkably low budgets like ours), keep it to Leagues One and Two only, and let teams pick who they want? Radical.

• @mooneyman said:
    The rules are bollocks and unfair though.

Totally agree, with you. If teams with U23 Players, need competitive matches, loan them all out or don't hoover up so many, as you don't know what do with them, as the Development games, don't cut it.

L1/2 Professional Clubs, should be able to play who they employ, as players, as they see fit, that helps the success of their Club.