Skip to content

Comments

• The managers comment about the ref swearing at players is a really sad enditement on the game today. Each week we go through the charade of respect and handshakes before the game and then the ref does that. Respect is earned not given.

His comment on communication and social media is interesting too. Do you think the players are in the dressing room on their phones before the game

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

His comment on communication and social media is interesting too. Do you think the players are in the dressing room on their phones before the game

I wonder? Does anyone on here see player tweets in the 15 minutes post warm-up and before kickoff? Or perhaps it's headphones and music? Maybe it's more general, not so much losing the dressing room but not being able to get its attention in the days and hours before a game.

• Maybe it's just the out-of-touch comments of someone who is struggling deal with change, same as it ever was.

https://www.wired.com/2006/04/war/

• Reading the manager's comments, it seems Pep Guardiola's influence is already trickling down to League Two. A week after we read that WiFi is banned from the Man City changing rooms, which can't get mobile phone reception, in order to get players talking to each other, and now it's to be rolled out at Mansfield. A footballing messiah indeed.

The Daily Mail article about our JPT win recently suggests Ainsworth goes the other way, blasting out rock music in our changing rooms to psyche our players up. I wonder if that's what Klopp does at Anfield with his heavy metal philosophy...

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    The managers comment about the ref swearing at players is a really sad enditement on the game today.

If true, that is indeed an indictment of the state of lower league officialdom.

• micra. I get really angry when I see and hear players and coaching staff swear at officials. But to hear players and coaches whinge when it is aimed at them, man up. I believe if a player swears at a ref he should be booked. Unfortunately this does not happen in football. Learn from Rugby.

• I have to come clean. I used the opportunity to clean up the English language rather than to endorse the sentiment.
    You are probably right. I don't watch much rugby so I don't know whether swearing by players is punished on a regular basis. I often hear footballers effing and blinding and it is sometimes directed at the referee. I think the cards are usually issued for dissent though, rather than for the language used in the dissenting comment.
    I remember Mark Halsey saying (when he gave a talk in the Vere Suite a good few years ago) that he dealt with what was euphemistically described as "industrial language" by returning it with interest. Steve Brown featured prominently in these exchanges apparently.

• I think you will find this Referee spoke to the Captain's before the game and told them that if you swear at me I will swear at you back. I think its very common and accepted.

• What makes you think this?

• @rmjlondon said:
    I think you will find this Referee spoke to the Captain's before the game and told them that if you swear at me I will swear at you back. I think its very common and accepted.

Were you there to witness this ?

• When was the last player sent off for foul and abusive language? Does it even happen anymore?

I'm not sure I've ever really respected anyone I thought I could swear at. I'll have a think.

• Tommy Doherty perhaps? Just a guess.

• Not just for us. Any pro game? Do players even get booked for it anymore?

It's a sad path downhill if swearing becomes the norm. What next?

• I saw a player sent off last season for calling the ref a f------ c---, but that was in a Conference South game. Against Oxford City but can't remember who he played for. The entire ground heard him so I guess the ref had no choice.

• Surely its not the language used but the tone.

Perfectly possible to have a sensible unaggressive respectful conversation with a swear word in it. Perfectly possible to have an aggressive disrespectful conversation without swearing. The latter surely is more serious.

• @Chris surely you should be aware of rmj's access by now...