Skip to content

An FA Cup hope

This coming Saturday two local sides & one "localish" side are in action as the last (4th) Qualifying Round of the FA Cup takes place prior to League One & League Two clubs joining the competition.

Tie of the three sees Beaconsfield SYCOB take on National League South side Brackley Town at Holloways Park. Chesham United also host Potters Bar Town who upset National South Bath City in a replay at Twerton Park. Meanwhile, slightly further afield, Egham Town have an intriguing home clash with National South St Albans City. Some great entertainment in prospect if you're not going to Mansfield.

In a wider context, should Beaconsfield progress & draw a Football League team at home I hope the game could be staged at Holloways Park. If this were not possible I would hope WWFC would offer Adams Park as a possible alternative & do everything possible to make it a great day for what will be an historic achievement for the Rams. This part of the competition is the REAL FA Cup!!!

Comments

• @A_Worboys you doing Beaconsfield or Egham?

• I would hope that WW would support Beccy Sycob should they proceed in the cup and get a decent draw. At one of the meetings at AP last season both Gareth & Dobbo were dismissive of the FAB academy which is Beccy Sycob.

• The FAB Academy is a strange one. Hardly a production line for the Football League but not without its merits either. Used to watch them during Bisham visits in years gone by. Lost touch with the concept in recent years though.

• If the Psychos got to the 1st round proper that'd be a great achievement. With regards to FAB, isn't that run by Nas Bashir, formerly of this parish running the community scheme?

• @peterparrotface Beaconsfield I hope!

• SYCOB have just had a couple of young players go on trial at Birmingham City (link below). Looks like they may have come through that academy. Interesting quote from the SYCOB boss too - I wonder who he could be referring to here?!

“...that is the whole reason we introduced the link up with the FAB Academy. It does amuse us though that we have local sides not interested in these lads."

Appreciate there isn't the money to take a punt on every promising local youngster, plus no youth/reserve team for them to play in, meaning we have to limit our gambles to more potentially first team ready players like Freeman, Southwell and Kashket. Still, the names of Fitz Hall and Ben Gladwin will continue to haunt the dreams of Wycombe fans for years to come, although hindsight is a wonderful thing etc etc.

On that subject, anyone know what happened to Maidenhead's Sam Barratt? He was on trial at Bristol Rovers at the start of this season but not heard anything since.

http://www.getbucks.co.uk/sport/football/news/birmingham-city-take-sycob-youngsters-11986568

• @Jonny_King said:
    SYCOB have just had a couple of young players go on trial at Birmingham City (link below). Looks like they may have come through that academy. Interesting quote from the SYCOB boss too - I wonder who he could be referring to here?!

“...that is the whole reason we introduced the link up with the FAB Academy. It does amuse us though that we have local sides not interested in these lads."

Appreciate there isn't the money to take a punt on every promising local youngster, plus no youth/reserve team for them to play in, meaning we have to limit our gambles to more potentially first team ready players like Freeman, Southwell and Kashket. Still, the names of Fitz Hall and Ben Gladwin will continue to haunt the dreams of Wycombe fans for years to come, although hindsight is a wonderful thing etc etc.

On that subject, anyone know what happened to Maidenhead's Sam Barratt? He was on trial at Bristol Rovers at the start of this season but not heard anything since.

http://www.getbucks.co.uk/sport/football/news/birmingham-city-take-sycob-youngsters-11986568

Whilst we have one hand tied behind our backs with trust ownership, we will continue to miss out on signing top youngsters.

The club should seek private ownership at the closest opportunity.

The recent treatment of Ainsworth has been nothing short of disgraceful.

The football on the weekend was the worst game I've ever seen.

• Anything less like DevC is hard to imagine. What's that all about, guys?

• Remember a really bad game at sycob in the b&b a few years ago in the cold and wet. Fantastic burgers from the burger van though, real grease down the elbows job.
    Love it.

• Ozzie. I went recently to Beccy Sycob. Bacon roll..........fantastic.

• Beaconsfield got hammered 5-0.

• Chesham won 1-0

• FAC 4Q, Beaconsfield SYCOB 0-5 Brackley Town. It was truly ‘men versus boys’ as the average age of the Becky starting line-up was only 19, with three 18 year olds and the oldest at 24. Consequently the Rams struggled with the power and height of the National North team two divisions above them, who had the former Villa and QPR player, Stefan Moore, up front.

Brackley took the lead after 4 minutes and it looked ominous for Becky but, some wonder saves by keeper Sam Bunting, son of former Chairboys and Slough Town keeper Trevor, and some stout defending, especially by the centre half Josh Gibbens, kept the score at 0-1 until the 80th minute, when the flood gates opened as Becky tired. Brackley dominated possession in the first half but Becky had more of the game after the break and had a couple of near misses, as they persevered with their short passing game. All too often, though, the final pass went astray.

The two players currently on trial at Birmingham City, Ryan Hill and Ollie McCoy, showed their undoubted skill but, perhaps, not enough of a final product when they got themselves into good positions. It was all good experience for the youngsters, they will know they have to develop the physical side of their game.

The crowd of 495 included 50+ Brackley fans. After some taunting there was a brief, alcohol-fuelled skirmish between two opposing supporters, a punch was thrown but missed and it was all quietened down quickly in the absence of any stewards. The Rams will be very happy with their cup run, the first time past the 2Q round, which has earnt them £16,925 in prize money.

I am impressed that the FAB Acadamy provides such a good production line of talent into the Becky team, at a pretty high Pyramid level. Well done Nas Bashir!

Some photos at https://goo.gl/photos/Z9siT5JWtmHjSSVAA

• @Steve_Peart said:

".......Brackley took the lead after 4 minutes and it looked ominous for Becky but, some wonder saves by keeper Sam Bunting, son of former Chairboys and Slough Town keeper Trevor.....,,"
    .........and grandson of former Wycombe stalwart, Colin Bunting! Quite a dynasty.

• That Brackley team contains four of the Conference North title-winning Solihull Moors' side from last year. A trip to Damson Park, Solihull in the first round would be a decent one, it's the first time they've qualified for this round.

• Direct trains from HWY - Solihull, although Spennymoor is still my preference.

• Hemel Hempstead Town or Chesham United at home please!!! Wycombe are ball number 47 in the draw.

• Hoping for Taunton away myself. Saw step 6 Westfields progress yesterday, lowest ranked club in the competition

• I want Taunton away as well as i only live 25 miles away.

• I too would be very happy with Taunton away BUT given that they play a replay away to a team two leagues above them, odds are they wouldn't be in the next round to play. Replay is on Tuesday I believe.

Ideal first round cup draw is always away to a non-league town you have to look up on a map to locate. Merstham and Westfields two ideal candidates. Curzon Ashton and Chesham (if they weren't so local) would not be far behind.

60% chance it will just be a fairly dull league team though.

• Any interesting non league side away for me

It will be Gillingham at home

• We drew Halifax last year so we can't make out we never draw the non-league teams.