Skip to content

A piece of Morias stupidity costs Saints a derby win

On a very warm evening at Clarence Park, the Hertfordshire derby in the National League South ended all-square 2-2 between St Albans City and Hemel Hempstead Town. I have to report again, that for sheer entertainment and value for money this was superior to anything I've seen at League Two level this season.

On a beautiful bowling-green of a pitch St Albans came racing out of the blocks, playing some great passing football on the slick surface. After just 7 minutes Louie Thepananous put the home side 1-0 up after his well-hit shot squirmed under Hemel keeper Jamie Butler's body Joe Hart-style. Combining well with Junior Morias up front, Saints were a constant threat and completely in control. After 32 minutes Junior Morias was put through and expertly chipped the ball over Hemel keeper Butler to double the Saints lead.

And then came a moment of madness. Following a tackle Junior Morias lashed out at Hemel defender Ollie Thorne right under the referee's nose. The inevitable red card followed and Morias sloped off the pitch laughingly protesting his innocence. Thereby the game changed. In the second-half Hemel struggled to show their superior numbers but pulled a goal back through ex-Kings Langley striker Mitchell Weiss. However, for all their efforts Hemel rarely troubled the home keeper apart from one shot that grazed the post. It was in the 94th minute however that defender Ollie Thorne smashed home the equaliser to earn Hemel a 2-2 draw and send the visiting fans delirious.

This game had just about everything. There was no love lost between the fans in a crowd of 903 with about 200 visiting supporters. The game was frenetic end-to-end football. Saints were the better side and should have taken all 3 points, except for Junior Morias' umpteenth show of petulance that's seen him sent off far too many times. One word for the referee. I've seen some awful refereeing at Non-League level this season but Mr Ali Ajbola was absolutely outstanding. He let the game flow but dealt with flash points as they happened. His excellent performance helped provide another night out quality entertaining football at Non-League level.

Comments

• Didn't morias get sent off v maidenhead last game too? How was he not suspended?

• Yes he did. St Albans had two players sent off at Maidenhead, Morias & Ben Martin. Morias featured last night but Martin didn't. Maybe St Albans are appealing Morias' red card? Morias is a useful player at National League South level but his disciplinary record makes him a bit of a liability.

• From the FA website: "Clubs at Step 2 and below: Red cards in first team competitive matches result in suspensions commencing on the 14th day following the match in which the player was sent off."

On that basis, Morias' suspension from Saturday will be due to start on 24th September.

• edited September 2016

removed

• Can we not.

• Can we not what?

• Raise topics that are likely to lead to libellous comments being made.

• If you are going to remove the post there is no real need to comment after it is there?

• @Chris are you a moderator on here?

• @peterparrotface Yep - although I try to do as little moderating as possible!

• My bad, although i thought libellous comments had to be false. And I hadn't even stated what...

but either way, best moved on.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    If you are going to remove the post there is no real need to comment after it is there?

But that would leave @malone wondering what happened to his post, perhaps leading him to repost it. It also leads to 30 page threads accusing the moderators of editing every single post, though that's less likely now that our resident racist is no longer resident.

• A private message?

• It would save any confusion by stating a brief reason for deletion e.g libellous, racist etc.

• You can't win. Delete it and the tin foil hat brigade are out in force. Delete and comment and that's wrong. No doubt sending a PM would see the moderator unmasked as a power mad bully.

The levels of moderation on here are very light.

• am comfortable with them removing my comment, not necessarily because it itself contained any specifics, but because it may have led to future conjecture which could have revealed it!

let's move on... we're rubbish at the mo aren't we.. ;-)

• @A_Worboys bit on St Albans in WSC this month