Skip to content

The Opposition View - Luton

edited September 2016 in Football

Comments

• Ben Dover wrote:
    "...I think they forget that they are a two-bob club with piss poor support that has punched above for a good few years."

Managed to hold on to our Football League status at least. I'd rather be a small club punching above our weight than a so-called big club with super-duper massive support that has criminally under-achieved for God knows how many years now.

• Bend - over more like. The name says it all, what an ignorant tit

• Suck it up. There are a lot of clubs that are going to take joy in our season, hopefully their ultimate joy won't be in May (or sooner).

• To be fair, with the new ground and new investment they might be. But it will be unsustainable and soon enough they'll be back where they started. The league is full of teams with sky high ambitions who could never sustain them.

• Love the irony (presumably unintended) of Mahatma Gander's comment! And I imagine Ben Dover is confusing the Fans' Facebook page with the proper forum.
    Perhaps his good mate Philip McCavity knows better.

• Missing the Stevenage game as I will be delivering child to uni. Normally I would be very disappointed to miss a home game but this time something tells me for once it might be better for my health...

• Thought for a moment you were a midwife @Wendoverman.

• more midlife I'm afraid @micra

• Ah the traditional uni run, when people in Wycombe drive to Manchester waving at families in Manchester driving to Exeter, waving at families in Exeter driving to brighton waving at families in Brighton driving to Birmingham. Dumb way of organising ourselves, it has to be said.
    And why is it that if you are a WWFC fan having to take Tarquin to Manchester, it never seems to coincide with a weekend when WWFC are playing Crewe or Accrington away. there are four Lg2 teams in a reasonable radius of my youngest's choice of uni. have to make 6 round trips as they insist rooms are cleared out at the end of each term, so 24 chances for a game to co-incide - how many do? Nil.

• Do you have to be called Tarquin to go to university these days?

• Well dear boy, plainly it depends on the university concerned. For upper level universities, plainly Tarquins and Henriettas are much preferred with the odd token commoner to keep the tabloids quiet. If you are Wycombe College (now rebranded I understand), Courtneys, Tylers, even Laila-Isabella Mae's are just fine. What-ho, pass the port.

For the absence of doubt, this is not meant seriously!

• Dev, I feel the humour will be lost here, and this could become another train-perv-gate amongst our apparently more enlightened members.

• So which side of the Manchester Uni scene is your child on @DevC ?

Tarquin/Henrietta or Courtney/Tyler?

• You are probably right Bill.

As far as I know, Righty, none of my children have any link to Man United (or city come to that).

In fact none of them venture oop north at all - perhaps they are scared of the feral black puddings and wild whippets.

• 'And why is it that if you are a WWFC fan having to take Tarquin to Manchester, it never seems to coincide with a weekend when WWFC are playing Crewe or Accrington away. there are four Lg2 teams in a reasonable radius of my youngest's choice of uni. have to make 6 round trips as they insist rooms are cleared out at the end of each term, so 24 chances for a game to co-incide - how many do? Nil.'

Must have got confused by the statement above but the kids seems to be at Uni so which are they?

Tarquin/Henrietta or Courtney/Tyler?

• I think you may be taking this a little too seriously Righty. My children are all doing well in their chosen paths, thank you. I hope they will be happy in whatever life throws at them.

• You should definitely have your own thread Dev.
    Where you can write these long pieces and those who appreciate them know where to find them, rather than hijacking so many threads!

• Anything but seriously but as you've made sweeping accusations about peoples kids and the Uni's they choose I thought you might have the decency to fill in the personal gaps to add some context to some pretty shabby comments. I can make my own conclusions based on your lack of response.

Good luck to your kids. Really. Good luck to them

• Cripes! Looks like you may have a point @bill_stickers .

• Indeed, Micra. Bless him.

What is it you want to know about my children and why? What conclusions have you reached? Why does it matter? Would you like me to send you a private message.

• Wow. Still writing loads but avoiding the questions.

My question is written twice above.
    My conclusions are my own and none of your business. They are not much different to my usual conclusions about your posts if that helps.
    It didn't matter in the slightest but now matter a tiny bit now as I'm interested by the lack of answer.
    I wouldn't know how to send a private message and I'm not that bothered to be honest. You linked the 'joke' about social classes with posts about your kids uni travels in a public area.

@bill_stickers Sorry to prove your point. I'm not that keen on ill informed comments on social class and what uni's people choose to go to. I find it ignorant.

• What has all this bollocks got to do with the description of the thread? Couldn't we have a new category called something like "Dev's Ramblings" in which he could include such gems as his perverse activities on trains or the financial status of OAP's. The rest of us could then concentrate on football related matters.

• Bless you. You are never happier than when you are angry and never miss an opportunity to miss the point.

As it happens, although we are from working class stock, my kids have all done very well academically (but then 20 or so years ago we did have a very good looking very intelligent postman who my wife seemed very fond of ...........). More importantly they have good morals and I rather hope will be very happy in life. I'm rather proud of them.

As it happens none of them attend Manchester University but then I never said they did. Although getting better, our top universities still have too many public school educated kids IMHO.

Do try to lighten up a bit son and maybe try to pick your battles a little more sensibly.
    I've never PM before but I doesn't appear to be terribly difficult, click the name and hit message. QED.

• Do what i do and block his crap.

• @mooneyman . Great minds, i'd suggested similar a few posts up.

For every thread Dev hijacks onto something completely different, like elderly people all apparently being loaded, or unis, or suchlike, you have the likes of right in the middle, and Chas harps having a go.

Have no idea who these people are or what it's all about, but they should have their own thread to thrash it out.

• Dev I am not angry, just bored with your ramblings.

• I take some of the blame. I should have just written: I cannot make the Stevenage game and perhaps that's not a bad thing...
    The mention of uni was an unnecessary bit of colour, a detail that led to these tangents on higher education, class and the naming of children that I had not envisaged. Apologies.

• @Wendoverman No need to apologise. I'm sure there's a thesis in here somewhere. I'll get my kids on it as soon as they decide what uni to go to (or not as the case may be)

• I don't know what people are complaining about... This is gold!

• @floyd It's certainly the most bizarre Gasroom argument I've seen in a long time.