Skip to content

Time for a change

edited August 2016 in Football

Lots of you will know, that we haven't won in 12 league games. Ainsworth has brought in quality players like Muller & Akinfenwa but we still can't win! Is it time to let him go?
Vote here
https://strawpoll.de/3453b37

Comments

• What utter nonsense to suggest after one indifferent performance in a situation where a third of an already small squad are sidelined that sacking the manager is something to be considered!

I obviously don't know who the instigator of this item is or how long they have been a "supporter" - if at all, indeed - but their sudden arrival on the Gasroom half an hour ago is interesting.

• You can tell from their name that they've been a supporter of quaters for their whole life.

• What a nasty piece of work you are, whoever you are. Ainsworth has my support.

• I can be quite negative at times however how stupid to add this after 1 game and with 4-5 influential players missing through injuries.

• Akinfenwa is NOT a quality player and never has been, just an ageing journeyman footballer with a particular attribute of tremendous strength. He is however a character and gives us something different, but he is not going to change us from a generally hoof it style. I am glad however that he is with us.

The time to assess Ainsworth's performance with the changed squad is around the end of the year.

• Quaters 4life...Quaters

• Yes Morris, we've done that one.

• @Quaters4life ignoring the ridiculous typo in your name, have you ever seen Max Müller play before?

• edited August 2016

@Chris Maybe the simpleton mispelled 'Quakers', and they're a very lost Darlington fan

• Or he may be from Qatar

• @micra yep I know but it was so funny I think it deserved repeating.

• @mooneyman I was thinking Ecuador

• Oh how terrible ! someone expressing an opinion you dont agree with! if you take away the play -off season ,since he took over results have been mediocre and the quality of football sliding rapidly downhill. Have not renewed my ST on the back of the worst football I seen from from any team bearing the name Wycombe Wanderers since I started watching them (clue as to when in my nom de plume.) A competitive game when we scored more than once ? Remind me when! Sounds like yesterday was same old same old with the usual excuses trotted out ( how can so many players get injured when we haven't played a competive game for 3 months?)at very best mid table more likely relegation fight with the goofball being dire. Smell the coffee!

• I smell a rat

• You should be a pest control officer then Morris!

• The truth ,quite often hurts,let's face it,the standard of football under GA is dire,as well as not producing results.

• @mooneyman said:
    You should be a pest control officer then Morris!

I was going to say..
    One game lost and they come out of the woodwork so maybe I should

• I usually don't join these forums but i'm sick to death of hearing the usual badge collecting moaners demanding change when things don't go right. One game lost and its sack the manager CRAP its early days. Crawley haven't lost on the opening day for years but are still one one of the favourites to be relegated.

• We've had 1 game so far - it was a poor performance - Gaz is the man to get it right on the pitch and he has my full support

• Having not seen a ball kicked yet...can I ask those who angrily denounce the team, club and manager most weeks...(starting here it seems) do we melt season tickets nowadays as ripping up is not an option and send a picture to the twitter feed...or do we cut it up and throw it at the dug-out?

• It does help to actually read the posts properly before replying,My point is that if you look at the last 3/4 years the pattern of both results and style of playing is poor.As for tearing up a ST would be difficult as ,again if you read my post ,you will see I didn't renew.

• It does help to actually read the posts properly before replying. Nobody suggested that you tear up your season ticket.

• Couldn't help but notice the irony in @Mr67s' Doctor C. DOL!

• @Mr67 said:
    It does help to actually read the posts properly before replying,My point is that if you look at the last 3/4 years the pattern of both results and style of playing is poor.As for tearing up a ST would be difficult as ,again if you read my post ,you will see I didn't renew.

Whilst I agree fully with your earlier statement about the quality of football being dire last season I think this is a little more questionable. From Aug 14 to Jan 16 the 'pattern of results' was pretty good and for the first half of so of that period the style of playing wasn't bad at all (the gamesmanship has been depressing throughout though although even that improved for a while)

I must admit I didn't share the pre-season optimism of others as I do think we need a radical change in approach and I'm not sure we have the players (yet?) to deliver that and a manager who appears a little reluctant to try risks.

That may be however the best thing for the club long term until we do stabilise so I'm not pushing for a change - I'll just adopt last year's solution and decrease my sobriety for the game accordingly (this may all just be a ploy to increase bar profits...)

• edited August 2016

It's time for a change in style, which surely can be addressed in training, bloody pass the ball, instead of blindly hoofing up top.

One or two midfielders surely can be comfortable and go looking for the ball from the back four and build up play with other players assisting the man on the ball with options, not every side is going to be counter attacked with one hopefully wellie and chase down.

We have got a good squad, let them play and express themselves. Someone on this forum mentioned getting a 6,7 or 8 strikers ain't going to make a difference, he/she is damn right, quality service to our forwards will.

• Not sure you are getting this @Ciderk1d
    A change of style needs the manager to change it and he's built his career so far on the style we are playing.

• @Ciderk1d said:
    It's time for a change in style, which surely can be addressed in training, bloody pass the ball, instead of blindly hoofing up top.

One or two midfielders surely can be comfortable and go looking for the ball from the back four and build up play with other players assisting the man on the ball with options, not every side is going to be counter attacked with one hopefully wellie and chase down.

We have got a good squad, let them play and express themselves. Someone on this forum mentioned getting a 6,7 or 8 strikers ain't going to make a difference, he/she is damn right, quality service to our forwards will.

I'd go further and reckon that with the actual style we play we'd be better off with NO strikers. Just stick 3 at the back and 9 in the general midfield area as at least they'll pick up those 'second balls' and there will be people in the 'channels'.

• Well we certainly have a better chance of winning the game with 12 on the pitch, @AttitudeEra. I must admit I haven't read all the changes in the rules this season but I would've thought one like that might have got a bit more press attention! ;)

• 13 indeed. Don't think his suggested formation included a goalkeeper.

• We could play 40 in midfield and still lose because the defenders just punt it straight over the top of them.