Skip to content

New Signing - Max Müller

Comments

• At 6'4" he is 2 inches taller than Danny.

• @aloysius said:
    I imagine Max Muller already speaks better English than many of our players and the vast majority of our fans!

I love a good cliché but in their defence I have to say that those of the current squad I've seen interviewed speak the language perfectly well.
    I would have argued your point about the fans as well before I joined the Facebook group.

• If it's not been said already I hope Max will be taking corners

I'll get my coat.......................... again

• @ReadingMarginalista starting to think you can't speak German after all...

• edited August 2016

@Morris_Ital yep I was mostly basing my assessment on occasional browsing of the FB group, the semi-regular half-witted chant from the Terrace and the odd barely-literate tweet from players (actually most of the worst recent culprits have now left the club).

• @peterparrotface I'll let you into a little secret... the German language is just a swizz and is just Germans having a laugh at everyone's expensive with a made-up language. Of course they can all speak perfect English!

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    peterparrotface I'll let you into a little secret... the German language is just a swizz and is just Germans having a laugh at everyone's expensive with a made-up language. Of course they can all speak perfect English!

Gott I'm himmel!!

• Are you indeed @Morris_Ital. At least you're not Himmler. Heaven forfend.

• Who is himmel?

• @micra Maybe he's that lovely Heinrich Bimmler character from the Monty Python sketch in the Minehead guest house.

• Personally I hope he receives a gladiator style chant of MAXIMUS! MAXIMUS! from the travelling hordes following his first goal for the Chairboys; hopefully a last minute winner away at Plymouth.

• We can't be gladiator 'hordes'. We'd be a legion surely?

• We'd need 5000 travelling fans to qualify as a legion.

• @JohnnyAllAlone said:
    Who is himmel?

I am

• For the surprisingly large number of Gasroomers who cannot grasp the absolute basics of the German language (and roomers are rife on this forum), Gott im Himmel means God in Heaven. An apostrophe inadvertently inserted by @Morris_Ital prompted me to make a sly quip - one of those which, within a matter of minutes, you regret having made.

But at least @ReadingMarginalista has reminded us of a wonderful Monty Python character so it's an ill wind..........

• I learned all my German from Victor comic...they did a lot of shouting. Gott im Himmel! Achtung! Ach! share that pineapple out amongst you...the last one might not be German

• Actually I thought it was a pretty good quip, Micra. I now see you as BanterPrince.

• Probably in the same period that @Wendoverman was learning his German from Victor, I learned my first German insult from Commando comic; "Englischer Schweinhund!"

• @micra said:
    For the surprisingly large number of Gasroomers who cannot grasp the absolute basics of the German language (and roomers are rife on this forum), Gott im Himmel means God in Heaven. An apostrophe inadvertently inserted by Morris_Ital prompted me to make a sly quip - one of those which, within a matter of minutes, you regret having made.

But at least ReadingMarginalista has reminded us of a wonderful Monty Python character so it's an ill wind..........

Es macht nichts, according to my German wife my awful German deserves a bit of stick micra .In fact I'm considering changing profile name to Morris_Himmel Oh and I've introduced her to "Commando" German "Achtung Spitfire" means something completely different in our house.

• The second most famous commentary from the 66 final, 'Stiles...Achtung...ACHTUNG!'

• Someone needs to explain to him that when we start the Dambusters theme, it's not meant to cause any offence

Other than to Slough.

It's designed to cause great offence to Slough

• @eric_plant I'm not sure that the Dambusters theme is particularly famous in Germany, no idea if he has any Sluff connections though.

• @micra German is taught less and less at school these days, and fewer programmes that feature it programmes like Auf Wiedersehen Pet used to. I had the good fortune to get the chance to persevere with it, it's a shame many kids these days don't even have the option as many schools don't offer it.

• I hope Max has a good sense of humour and enjoys his time at wycombe.Also having a thick skin might help.

• Perhaps as a courtesy to Max, we should drop the Dambusters song from our repertoire and replace it with the terrace performing a full recital of John Betjamin's poem 'Slough', which is arguably a far more damning ode to the place than anything we could ever come up with anyway.

• Instead of the Dambusters theme we should sing '10 German bombers in the sky' #politicalcorrectnessgonemad

• I'd settle for Bei mir bist du Schon (mit umlaut).
    @ReadingMarginalista - there were just two of us doing A level German in 1956 so it sounds like it was already in decline. On the other hand, of course, (though I was probably too naive/thick to realise it at the time) it was hardly likely to be high in the list of favoured subjects so soon after the war.
    Our German master, "Snoop" Sawdy, used to "reward" us if we behaved well with gramophone recordings of Dietrich Fischer-dieskau singing Lieder. Spass muss sein , he used to say. Wasn't really our idea of fun.

• One of my friends played in the RAF Concert Band. They were in Germany doing a concert tour and saw a sign saying Mohne Dam. Coach turned round, and they gave an impromtu concert to the locals on top of the Dam. They did finish with Dambusters, the germans in the audience didn't have a clue what the music was from and clapped very enthusiasitically!

• @TwinBrother Thanks for that anecdote! In my time living in Germany and then Austria, I never thought that the song was well known, certainly not as being anti-German in anyway. Indeed, a couple of years ago I was in a pub in Reading with a group of Germans watching a world cup game when a bunch of pissed-up Reading fans came in and started singing the Dambusters tune when they realised there were Germans in the pub (with 'we all f***in hate Oxford United' tacked on the end). None of the Germans realised it was probably a dig aimed at them.
    The context of us singing our version is definitely not us crowing about previous wars at any passing Germans, you'd have to be a particularly sensitive soul to take that as an anti-German song (especially as we were specifically fighting the Nazis and other assorted fascists in that war).

• @Micra I think you got off lightly. A teacher in my time (who will remain nameless) thought it appropriate to play a German teen flick about girls trying to get their first orgasm. Unfortunately the teacher's motto wasn't 'Spaß muss sein', but rather 'Seid bereit, immer bereit!' taken from the East German equivalent of the scouts!