Skip to content

Anthony Stewart

What an amazing performance again from Stewart last night. Seeing someone, particularly at centre half, particularly from our youth team play with such calmness is an absolute joy to watch. I really hope he is high on the list of players being offered long term contracts because he has been brilliant in 2016. For me the outstanding Wycombe player from last night.

Comments

• Dominated there forward i thought our defence was of championship standard.........

• His year out might have been the turning point in his career and the best thing for him. He always had the ability, but so many have, but the attitude was maybe in need of a bit of adjustment.
    May he go on to big things. He deserves it.

• Seems strange that Crewe didn't want to renew his contract.

• I panic whenever I see a thread with just the name of a player in the subject during the transfer window.

• New contract needed asap.

• edited July 2016

I see he was made captain for 45 mins against Brentford, if anything was a sign his rehabilitation is complete it's that. I love the calm authority he projects and he's another player who always plays with a smile on his face. The last of the gilded generation - and when we look back in a decade or so, I reckon there's a strong chance we'll remember him as one of the finest of it.

• I always preferred Stewart to Hause, was surprised when it was the latter that got the big move.

• Really? I like Stewart but Hause has that something special about him. The way he reads the game, the speed with which he covers the ground, the way he hardly ever goes to ground, how comfortable he looks on the ball....I'm not just saying this because he's done so well since, when he started playing for Wycombe I thought he played like a young Rio Ferdinand and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go on and play in the premier league and for England

That said, I also earmarked Steven Taylor as a future England captain, so you can't win 'em all

• All that said, if we can keep Stewart and Pierre there are surely not many better centre half partnerships in the lower leagues.

The way they both played in high profile games against Villa last season they must be on teams' radars surely?

• H> @drcongo said:

I always preferred Stewart to Hause, was surprised when it was the latter that got the big move.

@drcongo said:
    I always preferred Stewart to Hause, was surprised when it was the latter that got the big move.

Hause is much younger and looked more athletic as a 17 year old, big clubs buy potential not form

• I agree Stewart played magnificently last night, as did their number 19 who had the effort from inside his own half which very nearly went in.

• The fella who replaced pierre looked decent as well any ideas who that was?

• @bigred87 said:
    The fella who replaced pierre looked decent as well any ideas who that was?

I think someone heard a Wycombe player call him Will on Tuesday but maybe they are given pseudonyms whilst they are on trial!

• @micra said:
    I think someone heard a Wycombe player call him Will on Tuesday but maybe they are given pseudonyms whilst they are on trial!

Will he be good enough?

• Only time will tell.....

• @bigred87 said:
    Only time will tell.....

As a good Will gesture Gareth should offer him a years contract

• He's not even been signed yet! You could say that about any trialist, even those who impress in the Friendlies.

• we will see

• It's a question of Will he won't he

• when will this thread end....

• Once his will has been read!

• Where there's a will there's a way

• Problem solved. He's called Will Shakespeare.

• My midsummer nights dream is that Wycombe get promoted this season and not have the comedy of errors that we saw at end of the last one. Measure for measure the new squad is as good as any other. The new strike force will create a Tempest in any opposition area. Hopefully it will be all's well that ends well by the time we play Cambridge next May. I believe the Will the trialist used to play for Stratford upon Avon.

• In the words of another immortal Bard "You got it".