Skip to content

Colin Murray quits Talksport

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36786882

This is a few days old now but I thought I would post. Admirable stance from Colin Murray. Hats off to you Sir.

Comments

• If The Sun offered Wycombe sponsorship for 200k

A) would you take it?
    B) do you think the club would take it?

• a) No
    b) Yes

• A) no
    B) yes

• A) Accept it
    B) Yes

• Not sure if we would. A small club run in part by volunteers wouldn't really be able to cope with the flak that would come from a controversial sponsor so we would probably run away

• Interesting stance given that The Sun are not directly involved. What about all the other companies that they own? Does nobody have a Sky dish in Liverpool, or is that OK ?

• Ah - makes a bit more sense then !

• Colin Murray was on Talksport?? I had wondered a couple of times why I hadn't heard him on the radio. Decent broadcaster who will do ok out of this.

• A: no
    B: I suspect they'd take a lot less

• edited July 2016

No and No, but glad we are not in that position. As for Murray, can't see him or Stan being out the cold for long. I regulary listen to them guys more often than not on the radio, excellent Sports broadcasters.

Hopefully another Radio station decide to employ them, as it's a cert they'll increase the listening ratings of said station.

@TheSwearmeister "Does nobody have a Sky dish in Liverpool, or is that OK ?" that's an interesting story too.

• One interesting theory that came out of the EU Referendum was that Liverpool, with its socio-economic history and current situation, should have voted leave but instead voted remain, which was partly attributed to so few people there reading The Sun.

• Most large cities nearish to Liverpool voted remain I think. Sheffield was close but voted leave (and the LA area covers a much wider area than the city centre). Manchester voted remain. Leeds was close but voted remain.

Birmingham LA (similar to Sheffield) voted leave but again that isn't just the city but covers a large area in the West Mids. A lot of the areas in or near Merseyside but not in central Liverpool voted to leave.

It's an interesting narrative but I think the real explanation is large city vs surrounding towns rather than readership of the Sun. As much as the Sun would like to claim credit for people voting leave.

• The ill informed and uneducated voted leave. Reason why businesses want to stay in the EU. God I hate racism

• I don't think that's right either. People voting leave in the north are largely people who feel unrepresented by Westminster government; the desire for change in Scotland is channelled into support for independence rather than leaving Europe.

Remain voters decrying people who vote differently from their as ill informed and uneducated does no one any good.

• edited July 2016

Why do the a lot of the "Remainers", continue with this uneducated and racism stereotyping crap.

I got a Degree in Building Engineering and a few diplomas among my arsenal of Certs and Qualifications. I'm British and my folks are from West Africa, so I too am a racist and my many British Western African and Caribbean friends/family who largely all voted Brexit like myself.

I voted for the Tories, specifically for a referendum, whatever my reasons, I did my research and homework so did many others.

PS. Maybe I'n being childish, but if in 18 Months the Government haven't commenced Article 50, I will detach myself from ever voting again.

• @Ciderk1d said:
    I voted for the Tories, specifically for a referendum, whatever my reasons, I did my research and homework so did many others.

Genuine question. What did your research and homework turn up that won your vote?

• edited July 2016

@arnos_grove, to long to para phrase (There is plenty of information available about the in and outs of the EU) genuine reply, I'm currently swatting up and hands on towards another professional IT certifications, so just respect my vote, like I would yours.

• Because reasons.

• I've been pretty shocked by the bile directed at who voted leave by some .

• @chris I think you are right regarding this > "People voting leave in the north are largely people who feel unrepresented by Westminster government; the desire for change in Scotland is channelled into support for independence rather than leaving Europe."

Also it's worth bearing in mind, when either a Conservative/Labour government comes in to power, they often slash funding in seats across the country where they have no chance of ever getting a vote.

So in the instance of cities like Liverpool, the electorate probably see it as better to have a consistent flow of funding from the EU, rather than having peaks and troughs of funding during the various changes of power at Westminster.

I voted remain, but I respect the democratic process and would not criticise anyone who voted leave.

With regards to the Sun - I think they optimise the divide and conquer philosophy and take it to depths that go beyond what should be acceptable.

• It would appear from all surveys that leave voters tended to be older and less well educated than remain voters. It is one of the ironies that the people most likely to be adversely affected by the vote are the very ones who voted for it - as always it is "the poor folk who fight the wars"

Empirical evidence from overhearing conversations "down the pub" was that understanding of the issues was at a staggeringly low level - I heard a guy loudly espousing his decision to vote Leave on the basis that his car had hit a pothole and damaged a wheel - god knows what that had to do with the EU but it was "their fault".

It does seem that as usual with referenda/local council elections/eu elections, the voters took the chance to vote on all sorts of issues rather than the matter at hand. Voting appears to have been done with very high levels of ignorance of the issues (on both sides)

All of which demonstrates that direct democracy is a daft way of making complex decisions. Representative democracy has its flaws but is a far better way. The famous quote from Churchill would seem to apply, "democracy is the worst form of Government - apart from all the others".

• Also it's worth bearing in mind, when either a Conservative/Labour government comes in to power, they often slash funding in seats across the country where they have no chance of ever getting a vote.

So in the instance of cities like Liverpool, the electorate probably see it as better to have a consistent flow of funding from the EU, rather than having peaks and troughs of funding during the various changes of power at Westminster.

This is an interesting theory, but I wonder if it's giving the electorate a little too much credit. Some of the areas that benefitted the most from EU funding voted to leave, and most of them were seemingly unaware that they were a net beneficiary from the EU. cf Ebbr Vale and Cornwall, where the council celebrated the leave result with a now deleted tweet, and promptly set about panicking in the very next tweet.

• Absolutely, it should never have been down to the public to have a vote. MPs should have done their job and represented their constituents, and we wouldn't now be in this mess.

I think there needs to be a distinction between leave voters tending to be older and less educated (which is likely to be correct) and the statement that leave voters are ill informed and uneducated (which in a lot of cases is not).

• I'd love to meet someone who could honestly say they had been educated to a decent level about the true pros and cons about the EU debate. The saddest thing about it all was that there is only now an attempt by the media to look in depth at the issues being affected and during the pre vote period they simply reported what was put on Twitter.

The simple fact is the younger voters didn't turn out in enough numbers considering the importance of the decision. Cameron should never have made this a referendum vote in the first place though.

• But more importantly why is it Colin Murrays fault?

• Obviously categorisation of voters can only be generalising. There will be exceptions on both sides. Reality is that I think voters on both sides were ignorant of the issues (not the same as being stupid). I think there is some evidence that the "Leave" side voters were generally more ignorant. If one good comes out of all this, it is that maybe politicians on the Tory side at least are starting to realise they cannot ignore the "northern working class masses" any more, Labour continue to be absent without leave in their crucial role of providing a competent opposition.

On a slightly lighter note, I did at the tail end of the campaign discover that Farage would be very aptly named were he to be Malaysian (look it up). Johnson is now known as the Fat Faraj in my household as a result. The day of his comeuppance is fondly anticipated.

• @Right_in_the_Middle I and a lot of people I know were well informed enough to make a decision.

I'm not sure what you're asking for. No one could know what would happen in the event of a vote either way, but that's how decision making works. There is always uncertainty.

There were plenty of articles in the media with detail, even if you did have to dig a little for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/may/31/what-has-the-eu-ever-done-for-my-town

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/14/would-the-pound-be-weakened-by-brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/careers/2016/may/24/what-would-leaving-eu-mean--employment-rights