Skip to content

No Points Target...

Quote from the boss at the end of an interview today:

"There is no points target this year - the team have delivered above what was asked of them for two years and now we are confident enough within ourselves to take risks and really push ourselves on to see where it takes us. It's an exciting time and if everyone within the club stands with us every step of the way, from the board to the staff to the supporters, then there's no reason why we can't be successful."

I'm guessing the only target this year is promotion!

Poll not found

Comments

• My guess is that there is an internal points target for Howard to assess Ainsworth against but they've decided not to make it a public thing this year.

• My guess is that if the manager says there is no points target then there's isn't a points target.

Haven't seen the interview. Does Ainsworth mention any kind of target or aspiration at all? I think he's on the hot seat this season.

• An attacking brand of football. Goals goals goals

• Gareth Ainsworth says his squad’s pre-season trip to France has reaffirmed his belief that Wanderers are capable of enjoying a successful year ahead...
      ...as they plan to attack from the off in the 2016/17 season.

The five-day break combined a creditable friendly draw against second-tier side Le Havre with intense training sessions and bonding exercises which have nurtured the already-excellent team spirit, helping new signings adapt to the culture within the club.

They return home on Friday night ready to continue their progress in the pre-season games against Brentford and Queens Park Rangers, where their new attacking signings will make their debuts on home soil at Adams Park.

"This week in France has confirmed to me what I already knew - this group of players share a focus and a real hunger to be the best we can be and build on what we've created in the past two seasons,” he said.

"Defensively we have been tough to break down and have a system which we know works. I said at the end of last season that I knew what we needed to do to improve, and my staff and I have worked hard over the summer to implement the changes that were required.

"We want to be as good going forward as we are when we’re defending and add more goals to our game. I believe in my squad to work together to achieve that and the new players we've brought in will strengthen what we already had. It was a shame that we lost key players at important times last season but with everyone fit there is no reason why we can’t match any team in League 2.”

As well as the new arrivals, Ainsworth’s summer business included the retention of key squad members who have played a big part in the team’s development on and off the pitch, and helped to construct the team ethos which provides the foundation for the year ahead.

He continued: "For our plans to be successful, we have asked all the lads to buy in to our way of doing things, and that means giving absolutely everything you've got and leaving nothing out there on the pitch. No team should ever beat us for effort, commitment or togetherness; we will go into every game looking to win it and believing in what we do.

"We know who we are as a club; we know what we've got and what we haven't got. When I look around the dressing room I see a real tight group who will battle for each other, pick each other up when they get knocked down and help to bring the best out of each other on the pitch. They're a talented bunch, with a great mix of experienced leaders and youngsters with big potential, and I know they're ready to go out there and make the club proud.

"There is no points target this year - the team have delivered above what was asked of them for two years and now we are confident enough within ourselves to take risks and really push ourselves on to see where it takes us. It's an exciting time and if everyone within the club stands with us every step of the way, from the board to the staff to the supporters, then there's no reason why we can't be successful."

• Stirring stuff.

• Gosh last time I heard or read anything like that beaches were involved.

• "tight group who will battle for each other", I think Beyo took this literally.

• Bayo please (as in Adebayor). Sorry - quiet Sunday morning (thank goodness).