Skip to content

Sad news of Ron Watts passing

Instrumental in the emergence of Punk Rock in both Wycombe and nationally.
Ironically his passing coincides with the demolition of the legendary music venue the Nags head,
Where Ron put on so many famous and infamous gigs.
RIP Ron.

Comments

• Is there much of a live music scene in HW these days - never see any bands I know playing there.

• Good local band called Oggle,Oggle, If they're in the West Country, i suggest you pop along and see them. They've just released their first single "I will gawp until you cringe" which is a great haunting ballard ..

• You're very obsessed with a throwaway remark made quite some time ago. Self-loathing perhaps?

• That's a very enigmatic post @bill_stickers or maybe it's just me trying (and failing) to understand something that's above my head?

• I'm of a vintage unfamiliar with the names of obscure local bands, punk or musical, so I initially took @ChasHarps comment literally. On reflection, I see that this could be a (rather sad) allusion to something @DevC mentioned in a piece about a train journey many months ago. Again, probably a reflection of my age and my refusal to be unswervingly politically correct, I didn't think it was particularly cringeworthy and it certainly hasn't remained in the forefront of my memory.
    Phew! Did I get there in the end?

• It was a bit cringeworthy but it was one thing @devc said once.

It wasn't a constant stream of dull and pointless personal attacks, which would be far more cringeworthy.

• I know a lot about music but have never come across "a haunting ballard ".

• edited June 2016

@micra Dev once confessed to looking at a girl on the train who he found attractive. Since then, a few posters have followed him round declaring him to be one of the world's most despicable perverts.

• @micra said:
    I know a lot about music but have never come across "a haunting ballard ".

I recommend you check out Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds as an entry to that particular pathway

• I second that.

Ron Watts once refused to pay my band for our support slot for 'being shit and not attracting enough drinkers'. Absolutely fair comment!

• Very sad to hear about both Ron Watts and the Nags Head. Saw so many amazing bands there in the 70s. Perhaps prior to a Wycombe match next season we could have a medley of songs by Wayne County and the Electric Chairs as a memory!

• His book, Hundred Watts, is a good read for those who were or weren't there. Probably got a copy somewhere if anyone wants it

• @bill_stickers said:
    micra Dev once confessed to looking at a girl on the train who he found attractive. Since then, a few posters have followed him round declaring him to be one of the world's most despicable perverts.

Yes, I know. I referred (or, rather, alluded) to @DevC 's "confession" at 4.07 pm above.

• @bookertease said:
    I recommend you check out Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds as an entry to that particular pathway

Not sure what pathway you are referring to but I'm slightly familiar (if that isn't a contradiction in terms) with the work of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, not least from his appearances on Later with Jools Holland and on the soundtrack to the excellent Peaky Blinders. Also assume that @EwanHoosaami's moniker derives from the Radiohead song of that name.

• @micra said:
    I know a lot about music but have never come across "a haunting ballard ".

Try Concrete Island, Crash or Empire of the Sun.

• @micra it was a bit tongue in cheek and sorry I hadn't picked out your eagle-eyed spotting of the spelling mistake

• A_Worboys. Not sure about the Wayne County or was it Jayne. The only track I remember them doing before they got boo'd off was "If you don't want to ##ck me baby, then ##ck off. Not sure that is good listening for the family stand. But a medley of a few of the great Band Ron did get to play would be good. I will start the list with Otway & Pride of passion. (leave the obvious to others.

• Not sure Otway's "Headbutts" would be appropriate for stoking up the right kind of atmosphere at the ground.