Skip to content

Ainsworth: New signings proving a 'challenge'

Interesting bit of expectations management from the club just now:

http://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/article/gareth-transfer-market-is-a-challenge-but-the-right-deals-will-come-3146845.aspx

I do wonder whether it's a sensible media strategy to follow posts about the manager winning a seniors tournament in Thailand and the chairman racing at Le Mans with one where Ainsworth says he's failed to get any of his transfer targets so far.

I'm also not sure pointing out that we've signed some of best players after the season has started is particularly welcome given the paucity of the squad, particularly we've got no keepers!

Comments

• Also: "I have every confidence that we’ll start the season with a squad which is capable of improving on how we finished last year."

Well that's something, given that the squad that finished last year did so with no wins in their last eight matches and only four goals...

• I have a feeling someone of us may need to bring our boots to the first game

• Sounds like no deals are on the horizon. As he says though, plenty of players still out there.

• That article is going to boost season ticket sales. Is it just me or does Ainsworth sound quite down in his quotes?

• Its still early days. One more week and players will realise that their dream move isn't going to happen and Buckinghamshire aint such a bad place to go.

• Agreed @Right_in_the_Middle, The article basically says,the players we will bring in, are not the one's we wanted, but the only one's we could get. How inspiring for teamates and supporters a like !!

• We identified a few key targets but have found ourselves massively out-bid by clubs in our division

so he is saying we cant even match clubs in league two it a joke anyone would think we where in the conference seriously they need to add abit more funds to the playing budget cant keep doing cutbacks .

• Add funds from where @trevor?

• The money tree, its obvious!

• Adding funds... brilliant! Why has nobody thought of it before? It's so simple. Someone ring Andrew Howard quick, before another club works it out first!

• Newport have made some pretty good signings, and i see that Chesterfield have sigend Ched Evans....think he will score plenty of goals

• I wouldn't be happy about that if I was a Chesterfield fan.

• Er.......funds?

How about a slice of the unbudgeted monies arising from the sale of Matt Ingram (£500,000) or even a measly portion of the Villa monies (£250,000) ?

I get it that the Chairman is not a fan but after the most turgid of seasons even he must recognise that investment in the Squad is essential.

• How long before our target radar drops to JP Pittman again ??

• There's signings done, but not announced yet.

Whether they'll whet anyone's appetite is another story, but there's stuff done.

trust old Malone on that.

• Who?

• i dont mean funds i mean our wage budget increased it is far too low would adding say 5k a week really going to chance the fact we always losing money makes no difference in the long run .

• @Chris , sorry worded that badly, haven't been told names. Just that there's a number of done deals.

• Lets face it our most successful signings of recent seasons have been a bit left field. While some will be annoyed that some of the names are signing for other clubs in our leagues you shouldn't despair. Like most I had to Google the likes of JJ, O'Nien, McCarthy & Mawson. I did know Banton and that worked out well.

• Yep. Another £250k from the magic money tree.

Do people actually believe money is being hoarded as part of some sort of fraud?

• I do wonder what's happened to the Villa / Ingram money too. Maybe it's gone to pay down the debt to Steve Hayes faster than before. But if it has instead been soaked up into the club's day-to-day running costs - and we're still being warned we can't now compete against other League Two clubs for player wages - then that is very worrying. It suggests other revenue raised last season was far below expectations. The club couldn't have budgeted for the Villa replay in advance and it'd be disappointing if they budgeted for a mid-season Ingram sale last summer. If we can't break even without a player sale and a cup run then we're going to encounter serious financial difficulties, sooner rather than later. I do think at some stage soon we're going to have to have a grown-up conversation about whether it's sensible to remain supporter-owned in the current climate. Not sure when the next set of accounts are released but they'll probably be more scary than tonight's Game of Thrones episode.

• Trevor, I don't understand how increasing the wage budget is not adding funds from thin air still?

• @trevor . The sort of stupid "what difference will this extra money make" type recklessness, is what got us this far down sh!t creek in the first place you absolute donut!

We could go ape sh!T with the budget and see if we can reach the "glory" of league 1, and risk going bust, or we can learn to live within our means.

Bit boring that second one, but probably ensures we still have a club, and thus can still have this debate in a few years i'd say...

• The problem is the quality of Football on offer which if it continues into 2016/17 will see attendances fall with a consequential reduction in revenue.

Gareth is a good Manager but the squad needs investment. We don't need to be signing the likes of Ronaldo but surely we do need to be competing with other League 2 Clubs for Players.

Just in case anyone needs reminding we obtained 24 points from the last 23 games of last season which by my reckoning is relegation form.

Memo to Chairman - Debt reduction is important but so is having a product on the pitch that people want to come and watch. Give Gareth the tools that he needs.

• malone we aren't living within our means where living below it that's why we have no youth system anymore or a decent squad

• @Its_Cold_Up_North said:
    The problem is the quality of Football on offer which if it continues into 2016/17 will see attendances fall with a consequential reduction in revenue.

Gareth is a good Manager but the squad needs investment. We don't need to be signing the likes of Ronaldo but surely we do need to be competing with other League 2 Clubs for Players.

Just in case anyone needs reminding we obtained 24 points from the last 23 games of last season which by my reckoning is relegation form.

Memo to Chairman - Debt reduction is important but so is having a product on the pitch that people want to come and watch. Give Gareth the tools that he needs.

Good of you to point this out to the chairman as it may not have crossed his mind. I guess they rushed that new signing through on the back of it, so hats off to you!

Just in case you need reminding, this club was virtually in the Conference and going out of business. By my reckoning, it's been a tremendous turnaround and debt reduction is an essential part of it.