Skip to content

Men who are somewhat blessed in years are precious - especially if they are Wycombe Fans

Wycombe Wanderers need to keep every supporter they have. This thread is about my own very recent experience with prostate cancer. I thought it was important to talk about it and I consulted with @micra and he agreed and has been giving me good advice. There are no gory details or nasty surprises, in the story.

The last five weeks weeks have been busy. A health review for me triggered a PSA test and a slightly raised level triggered a MIR scan and that triggered a biopsy and I have a diagnosis of prostate cancer - I have started treatment and the prognosis is good and I feel fine. It appears fairly likely that was caught before it spread.

I want to suggest that anyone reading this who has a prostate and has celebrated 50 years or so of having one, should consider asking for a PSA test. I think if it hadn't been for Bill Turnbull I would have been more reluctant to submit to the testing regime and that was a timely decision because it looks as though for me it was caught in time to treat completely. I talked for a while to the people at Addenbrookes Hospital Cambridge and they tell me that often, as for me, that particular cancer is often virtually symptom free until it begins to spread from the prostate. I was told that consideration was being given to offering tests to all men who are over 50 as standard: I don't think funds for NHS initiatives are readily available at the moment so please don't hold your breath.

@micra told me his story, a similar diagnosis with some spreading outside the prostate itself 17 years ago. In complete remission after treatment until 2021. His treatment was similar to what I believe mine will be. I am grateful, as I know we all are, that to quote @micra he is "still alive (if not exactly kicking) nearly 17 years after [he] was first diagnosed." I think he would want me to say that he was completely in remission until 2021.

I know it is sometimes difficult to access GPs surgeries in these times. @micra would say, and I would echo, if you fit the age profile use any opportunity you have to take a PSA test. If you think an opportunity won't present itself and you are concerned, please make an opportunity.

I have been thinking about participating in Jeff Sterling's walk from Wembley but I am not yet sure when I will have radiotherapy.

If anyone has a question, I am happy to answer a direct message. Sorry about the short term delay to the attendance thread postings.

Take care. Your club needs You.

Comments

• Could I just add, for what it’s worth, that radiotherapy over several weekday weeks seems to be a fairly common feature of early treatment. @railwaysteve and his family were worried that driving to and from Addenbrookes five days a week for, I think, four weeks might prove to be too much.

I was able to reassure them that, in my case at least, I was able to drive to and from the Churchill hospital in Oxford (a round trip of about 50 miles) for all but one of the 20 appointments - my daughter took me on one occasion - with no ill effects and I was 68 at the time.

I would like to wholeheartedly endorse this important message from @railwaysteve and wish him the very best of luck.

• Can I add my own story which is similar to that of railwaysteve? Like him, I discovered after a routine annual medical check that my PSA level was high which led to a biopsy and a prostate cancer diagnosis. I had no symptoms. Fortunately, the cancer was detected early enough that it hadn’t spread and I decided to take the option of having my prostate removed. A year later I am fit and healthy with only minor side affects and my PSA level was undetectable at the last six months blood test. The point of these posts is to urge men to be tested regularly. Cancer is a scary word, but I dodged a bullet and anyone else can do the same and get tested.

• If I may add my recent story as well. A PSA test was undertaken last summer when I was being investigated for gall stones. PSA came back as raised and following an MRI scan I was found to have an enlarged prostrate but no signs of any cancer. My only symptoms were reduced flow when peeing. Obviously relieved and now in the system for regular ongoing review. I would echo fellow posters comments re getting your PSA checked from 50 onwards or if you exhibit any symptoms. And by the way had my gall bladder removed same day as Antonio Conte.

• This is a serious thread so this is a serious medical observation. Gall bladder removal has not only given @PJS the gift of accurate foreknowledge of attendances but also simultaneoulsy given Antonio Conte marvellous great insight into what is wrong with Tottenham.

• "Men who are somewhat blessed in years" is undoubtedly the target audience of the Gasroom, so thanks for this thread @railwaysteve - good to keep it front of mind for us oldies.

• Amazing to think, this thread could genuinely save someone's life

Great work everyone who had contributed to it

• Yet another tale. Have you had the stick to wipe your derrier with?

Have you done it and sent it off?

I have and did, got the letter back all clear.

But I still had blood in my poo.

Trip to the GP, a bit of proding and poking, led to MRI Scans, Radiography, a couple of endoscopy's, more prodding and poking,

and finaly an operation using a robot.

Bowel cancer detected and removed in 6 weeks from start to finish.

I was NEVER ILL or felt poorly. Two days off work, I didnt fancy riding a bike for a week or two.

10 weeks after diagnosis, back playing football and on the Judo mat.

All thanks to the NHS.

Look for the signs and dont be afraid.

Good luck folks.

• Ok!OK! I'll do it!

(I usually avoid these articles in the papers but who can ignore the Gasroom?)

• Have just realised it’s over a year since my last PSA test. Thanks to this thread I’m now reminded and booked in. Best wishes to all affected

• I shared my story (so far) to the Club website in January 2022, shortly after I had finished my treatment

https://www.wwfc.com/news/2022/january/alan-calls-for-chairboys-check-ups/

The support from fellow Chairboys supporters has been fantastic and unforgettable. It may not be everyone's first thought to go public about such an illness, but with PC there is no stigma and (thanks to Bill Turnbull and others) its now ok to talk about it.

Also charity support is there for you - you only realise how good a charity is when you need their help.

So I will continue to fundraise for Prostate Cancer UK and to spread awareness of the need for early testing of all men over 50.

Happy to talk to anyone who is at any stage of this journey or who wants advice. We are all different though and will have different views, needs, symptoms, concerns, preferences for treatment etc.

• Thank you all for sharing. I have had a blood test and manual rectal exam recently after some annoying symptoms of needing to pee really badly after about an hour throughout the morning. Makes any long commute a misery but does allow me to end meetings early. I assume the blood test included PSA? All clear I’m relieved to say.

• This is a great thread. Thank you all, and long live the Gasroom.

• I do the bowel cancer screening test every 2 years at the moment (for the last 5 years) - all clear so far

Had my last prostate exam just over 2 years ago which was also clear - due another one soon just to be safe, no symptoms to worry about, but rather be safe than sorry.

• Just adding my 20p worth. I'm able to sit here writing this because my oesophageal cancer was detected early enough - partly due to a smart GP and also down to me not ignoring symptoms for too long.

I'm part of the Oxford Cancer PPI (Public & Patient Involvement) group and we review a lot of research etc from a lay perspective. An overwhelming theme in all of this is that early detection and early treatment leads to much better outcomes (or survival rates, being blunt about it).

If you are offered screening take it. If you have symptoms of any kind, don't ignore them. Having a camera shoved up your backside or down your throat is way better than finding the cancer too late to do anything about it.

I'd also like to say the the WWFC ticketing people were great about upgrading my season ticket to the FA for a couple of months when I couldn't stand for long enough (after surgery) to go on the terrace.

• I popped my poop into the post box last year. Simple and free to do. Also appealing to my inner 8 year old to be able to write that I popped my poop into the post box.

• Not cancer related but heart. Just over a year ago I suffered a heart attack and needed a triple bypass (many many thanks to a terrific NHS).

Never had any chest pain, no problems with arms or any typical symptoms. I did however get some constriction in my throat/jaw area, especially in the cold when exercising. Evidentially I had been experiencing mini attacks over a few months.

Bottom line (you can decide if pun intended from the start topic of this thread) - if it’s a persistent unexplained symptom get it properly checked out, wherever it is on your body.

• edited March 2023

And a quick note from me:

I had a couple of the typical symptoms of prostate cancer and mentioned this during a meeting with my doctor for a minor ailment. PSA test done quick as a flash and was reassured that my levels are low and nothing to worry about. A growing weight off my mind as I'd been putting off doing anything for fear of the worse - WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

Take all the good advice in previous posts - get tested as soon as you have any concerns; its not always going to be bad news.