Skip to content

Are the vast majority of football supporters obsessed with league tables?

2»

Comments

• And unsurprisingly number One in Australia and New Zealand.

• "For younger readers this is what we did instead of computers"

and having sex.

Next up, the thread goes wildly off-topic when everybody reminiscences about playing Escape From Colditz

• Just caught up with what I thought would be a somewhat ‘dry’ thread only to be pleasantly surprised by the reference to a game which, as a bit (lot, actually) of a loner, I used to spend many a happy hour, sprawled on the floor playing what I remember as Owzat. I think it was largely England versus Australia - as a 12 year old I knew very little about the personnel of other teams apart from Kent so couldn’t really set up too many scorecards.

The two Arthurs- Fagg and Phebey - who opened for Kent in the early ‘fifties - featured in matches and if they were out too cheaply I would give them a stay of execution, an embryonic version of DRS (Decision Review System) or, more accurately, an early example of self-indulgence.

I was at school with Brian Fagg and, on one occasion, had gone to his house for tea, during the course of which his dad appeared in the hall, threw his cricket bag down with a loud thud and stormed towards the kitchen. Obviously a bad day at the office and not the match in which he and Arthur Phebey shared century partnerships in both innings against Gloucestershire.

Happy days.