Skip to content

The alternative berks and bucks final

In the FA vase (of course donated by our very own, Frank Adams) Ascot and Newport Pagnell have been kept apart in the semi-final draw. Paving the way for the two meeting in the final at Wembley.

Congleton host Newport Pagnell, whilst Corsham Town host, Ascot United .the semifinals appear to be one legged affairs on April 1st

The final is on Sunday, May 21st

Of course these days, the FA trophy final is held on the same day at Wembley. The draw for that is:

Gateshead V. Barnet

Altrincham, v Halifax Town

Haven’t been to an FA trophy final since we put Runcorn to the sword back in 1993 might be worth a trip this year

Comments

• This is probably a minority opinion, but I really don’t like holding both finals on the same day.

• Having never attended the final or finals in their current format I couldn’t comment on what sort of day it would be. Presumably this was in the wake of falling attendances. However I agree that our two 1990s finals would’ve probably not felt as good if we were sharing the occasion. Different times now of course the FA trophy seems to have lost an awful lot of its glamour and prestige. Much like the FA Cup

• Following the semifinals yesterday, Ascot will play Newport Pagnell in the vase final on Sunday 21st of May

The FA trophy final on the same day is between FC, Halifax and Gateshead

both games at Wembley, of course

• Sounds as though that'll equate to a pretty low attendance notwithstanding the two matches on the same day. Gateshead always struggle to draw the fans although they admittrdly do better than they did back in our non league dsys- and Halifax are very poorly supported for an ex league club of longtime standing. In the Vase its a pity AFC Bury lost to Congleton on penalties in the quarter finals as if they'd got thru to Wembley it could have really put the town back on the footballing map and upset the diehard anti "I'd rather never watch football again than follow AFC" tendency into the bargain.