Skip to content

Yob culture amongst our 'fans'

Disturbing to see yob culture on display at Oxford again from a small element of our support. Witness the police dealing with this ' element' in Oxford town centre and then both before and after kickoff as well. Throwing beer around before the game over pensioners and letting smoke signals off during the game. Also some.fighting broke out. These yobs should be dealt with before they tarnish our club, they sing anti gas room songs and now i heard anti police songs too.
As someone nearing 50 i feel this is unacceptable

Comments

• No pyro no party

• @wycombelad totally agree. One of our great assets has been trouble free fans which makes us so welcome at other grounds - with a couple of odd exceptions which is more about them.

• tbh we have a bad reputation now anyway on the pitch and our playing style etc most teams hate us now

• Had more banning orders this season than In the last 10 combined. Up the youth firm

• I don't see what's wrong, it's just they are more passionate then some that they are willing to create an "atmosphere" yes there are certain borders they can't cross for example the smoke bomb around vulnerable people.

• What's wrong Aaron is that unruly elements risk besmirching the reputation of a club which has a history of decency and fair play and supporters to match.

• Fighting and throwing beer over people (if this is indeed what happened) is not 'passion'. By all means create atmosphere and sing songs - that's great, but people's enjoyment shouldn't come at the expense of the enjoyment (and certainly not the safety) of your fellow supporters.

• "sing up gasroom", they'd sneer then furiously glare down at everyone in front of them

Seriously odd behaviour.

• Walking to the ground from my car yesterday, a taxi pulled up and three drunken oafs leapt out, chanted about being Wycombe, then got their dicks out and pissed, with no attempt at discretion, up the nearest fence; this in the residential area near the ground. I have to say that the several Oxford fans passing at the time showed admirable restraint in not taking violent action against these individuals, but it made me feel embarrassed, rather than proud, that myself and my son were walking along wearing clothing that associated us with Wycombe at the time.

• Wow flashing is taking it to a new level, i thought the beer throwing was bad enough

• @Uncle_T Pretty pathetic scenes. They clearly didn't get the metaphorical nature of the 'piss on your party' chants.

• @wycombelad what a ridiculous bullshit statement you've made.
    Throwing beer over pensioners- false.
    Fighting- three Oxford fans celebrating the their third goal whilst in the away end would cause a reaction? If you don't think it would cause a reaction then you're reinforcing my point of you bullshitting.
    Smoke 'signals'- not the first time these have been used this season.. If you only mention this on Oxford away it shows you should attend more away games as over the season you would've seen they have enhanced atmosphere and not affected anyone, except yesterday's incident regarding a lady, which the carelessness of the people involved to place it in a area affecting others in that 'yob' culture.
    Oxford town centre- Thames valley police have been attending all games since a home game incident with Oxford and one with Luton earlier this season, both of which was started by the opposition for no reason (think as you will) they followed this "yob" group around insuring our safety, advising us on which safe pubs to go in and ones to avoid! Any other bullshit theories I'd happily answer for you and anyone else who wants!
    Kind regards
    Yob

• @wearetheyouth said:
    wycombelad what a ridiculous bullshit statement you've made.
    Throwing beer over pensioners- false.
    Fighting- three Oxford fans celebrating the third goal whilst in the away end would cause a reaction? If you don't think it would cause a reaction then you're reinforcing my point of you bullshitting.
    Smoke 'signals'- it's not the first time these have been used this season.. If you only mention this on Oxford away it shows you should attend more away games as over the season you would've seen they have enhanced atmosphere and not affected anyone, except yesterday's incident regarding a lady, which the carelessness of the people involved to place it in a area affecting other fans not in that 'yob' culture.
    Oxford town centre- Thames valley police have been attending all games since a home game incident with Oxford and one with Luton earlier this season, both of which was started by the opposition for no reason (think as you will) they followed this "yob" group around insuring our safety, advising us on which safe pubs to go in and ones to avoid! Any other bullshit theories I'd happily answer for you and anyone else who wants!
    Kind regards
    Yob

• Crikey. A yoof having trouble with the technology.

• Crikey. A yoof having trouble with the technology.

• My dad and I used to go to around 75% of away games.

We've been to 1-2 for the last couple of years.

Our chants 5-10 years ago used to be genuinely witty and funny.
    Now there's more and more nasty personal abuse of players working its way in, when you include some of the behaviour such as standing up in front of pensioners (as long as they can see that's all that matters) , regular use of the 'c' word - it doesn't make you want to put yourself out for a 300-400 mile round trip.

At least at home you have a choice to sit somewhere away from them.

• I'm sure the response will be

'It's just banter'

'F*** off then, we don't want you if you're not a real fan'

Fine. When it's just these guys left at most away games, I'm sure the atmosphere will be better than it's ever been.

• Have to agree @PrinceOfCrowell. If only the grounds still had terraces, making it easy to move away from undesirables.

• Hopefully the season break may have come at the right time to nip this in the bud.

Our reputation for being a friendly lot is a key asset of the club and should not be squandered lightly. I have long regarded this bunch as a potential great asset that sadly too often becomes a liability. They could choose to be different from all the rest, be memorable, bit like Scotland fans did when England "fans" were being dickheads, by going out of their way to be passionate about their team but behaving well or they could choose to be silly pathetic little yobs earning universal derision from all others by acting the big guy. If the latter the club and the Trust will have to intervene from the start of next season.

Time for the Trust to issue a "this is what we expect from our supporters" announcement before the start of next season. If that is heeded great, if not and a small group start to damage the reputation of WWFC supporters, with great regret an example may need to be made of the worst culprits. Lets hope it doesn't get that far.

• Hear hear @DevC.

• @DevC, fully agree. On another thread, @AndyGrahamFanClub says "We were in an era when anyone who went to football was a 2nd-class citizen who got what they deserved in the eyes of a large part of society." This was in no small part due to football fans being seen as nothing more than braying mobs of drunken, brainless idiots. There seems to be a danger of the behaviour that so categorised 'fans' returning with an increasing number of incidents having been reported of late. It would be such a shame if those to classify themselves as 'Wycombe fans' can't see a better way to support their club than to merely ape the shameful antics of a bunch of others and tarnish what is / has been a very good reputation.

• @DevC what do you think the Trust expect from supporters? Is there a dress code or an arrival time?

• I think they might expect 'fans' to treat others around them as they wish to be treated themselves. 'Banter' has simply become an excuse for ignorant loutishness. A small minority of selfish belligerents should not be allowed to dictate the mood and manner of the terrace, be it at Adams Park or anywhere else WWFC travels.

• Or a 'Loyalty Card' ??

• Odd post from Peter, that I see Leapfrog has answered very well. Treat others as the majority of fans would wish to be treated themselves and do nothing to bring the name of the club and its supporters into disrepute. I would have thought that would include excessive swearing, excessive abuse of opposition and fellow supporters, avoiding deliberate damage to property of opposition clubs or residents, avoiding urinating in public, avoiding fighting in public, follow reasonable instructions of stewards, dont stand up in front of elderly supporters who have no choice where they sit, that sort of thing.

These lads can be a real asset to the club and good behaviour does get noticed. For example Exeter away this season or last held a minutes applause for an explayer who had died which was joined in by nearly all our supporters including those being criticised. It was noticed and appreciated by a number of Exeter supporters I know.
    Sadly if they chose to be dicks, the club will need to step in , examples will need to be made of some and no doubt the sob stories will then start (I was only punching the air under the nose of a steward, honest guv). Lets hope it doesn't get there.

• Sadly this is a problem that has been growing over the last few years. I manage to get to most away games and the increase in yobbish behaviour is noticeable. It's no good writing to supporters asking them to curb excessive bad language if the club do nothing further about it. We have a bunch of spineless stewards in The Valley End where I stand every week. It is not rocket science to identify those involved, if I can by simply turning round, then they could, but they don't have the will or ability. There are one or two who use the 'c' word, and have aimed it at some of our ex players as well. Don't get me wrong, colourful language has always been a part of football but some of it oversteps the mark. These idiots need chucking out. Some of the antics of the Wycombe Yoof at away games is an embarrassment. The club just does not need this. The stewards in The Valley End are great if you stand and encroach on the yellow lines at the front of the stands...they should get a grip, do their job, and sort this out. While they have kids in orange coats that are too big, old boys who cannot handle confrontation, and being team led by a young girl, then this will only get worse as will our reputation.

• I agree with much of what you say but then you spoil it by making ageist and sexist comments.

• Rolo...i despair with today's PC brigade, I assume you are a fully paid up member. Sometimes you can be too old to do a stewards job, some clearly are ( ageist I assume. ) The young team leader, identified as female, ( sexist I assume, ) is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, and I have experienced her lack of ability to do what I assume she is paid for.

• But why not make that point in your original post? The relevant thing being that you think she's not good at her role, not that she's 'a young girl'.

• @DevC Wycombe supporters are the best behaved in the country. They don't need to be told how to behave.

If 10-15 fans are misbehaving and breaking ground regulations deal with them and ban them if necessary.

Don't patronise everyone else by telling them "what is expected".